Peter Day's 120MM Spitfire Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Amazing as usual. I wish I could get a fraction as good !

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Jack and John. A long way to go yet......

This is what he looks like now:

100_7809.JPG100_7810.JPG

I found this really difficult initially, I think mainly because it took me time to get used to the sculpt - it's seemed a bit rough at first, but did eventually respond to some dogged refining. The back of the life-jacket isn't that good, but that will be mostly hidden by the parachute harness.

A colour run-down, all Vallejo as usual. Life jacket - Buff with a little Flat Yellow mixed in, Flat Earth and Camo Black Brown added for shading; Flat White to highlight. Jacket - mixes of Saddle Brown and Flat Earth over a Black Brown base, Flat Flesh added for highlighting.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just noticed the trompe l'oieil on the goggles- Superb!

I was just about to comment on that, and ask how it's been done.

The whole thing already has the wow factor, and those goggles are definitely part of it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neal and Steve. With flat resin goggles I've never been able to paint reflections successfully, and anyway, I'm not sure that it doesn't look a bit artificial, however well done. My attempt with this is to show some of the underlying helmet colour showing through the glass. I first paint it black, then build up the helmet tones, starting quite dark at the edges to blend it with the black and getting lighter towards the centre. I then give the whole a couple of coats of gloss varnish to represent the glass.
Here are a couple of others using the same technique:

100_6106.JPG100_7045.JPG100_5302.JPG

John - Welcome. That is a very disturbing picture!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter just Beautiful but I’m getting concerned about the spectators here

• Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey I just got the popcorn...qeue was long. What?!!...Peter, head and torso done already? Will have to double back and read, so far I can see and hear applause for the goggles...ah, the mastery of the paintbrush illusionary techique. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Lovely work so far, excellent goggles too, which might have already been noticed? LOL
The colour palette is a welcome surprise as I am currently painting a 1/72 Airfix pilot, as part of the overflow £5 kit clearance.
I bought 4, just in case!
Looks like a nice day ahead too.
Enjoy the painting and keep up the colour callouts, I will certainly appreciate it.
Regards
Steve H

• Haha

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
WOW and thrice WOW. I've just popped in to see how this is going and the face is outstanding. One of your best by far. I appreciate it was a beatch to do but it really is the DBs. Terrific work my friend

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Me too. Hope I don't mess it up.

Richard - Funny what people focus on. My concern with the goggles was actually that the damaged rim I'd had to repair would paint up OK.

Steve H - The leather looks much redder than it is in reality, but I hope the colour guide is of use. On to Luftwaffe Uniform today, though my granddaughter's presence may slow things down;

Stevie J - Thank you. As I've said, Moz Corry sculpts can be odd and you have to keep going before the paint job comes together. I nearly lost patience with this one and binned it at one stage.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. This one seems to have struck a chord with everyone. Working on the uniform at the moment.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter very nice job youve got a steadyier hand for paintin than me brill
chris

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Excellence as usual, and really like the way you're doing goggles, especially on that tanker.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter those goggles are perfect, until it was mentioned I had just accepted it as correct, as didn't stand out as wrong.

Helmet off now as Marton has given me a tablet. New hat / great for keeping people away.
1594905803955.png

D

Deleted member 6559

Karl - Glad you like him so far.

John -Thank you, but please take the medication, please.....

The uniform and boots:

100_7813.JPG100_7814.JPG100_7815.JPG100_7816.JPG

I went to work with Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform, darkened with Matt Black and lightened with Off White. After the first coat of matt varnish it was all looking a bit flat, so I went over it adding extra highlights and darkening the shadows.

I panicked a bit about the resulting colour, as most of the versions of the figure I've seen use a much bluer colour, but referring to my main reference I felt reassured:

100_7819.JPG

This is from the Dorling and Kindersley book Soldier which was kindly given to me by an ex-member. It features soldiers and their uniforms throughout the ages, with most of the examples being drawn from museum collections. This is the reference page for the equipment:

100_7817.JPG

Reminds me to see if I've got a pistol holster...

Last edited by a moderator: