Peter Day's 120MM Spitfire Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Peter, leather work looks perfect.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John.

Just been trying to work out the wiring for the oxygen mask. Turns out that a rare Type D is depicted, so it will need an intercom wire that connects with the front of the mask and the back of the helmet. It looks as though the oxygen tube was disconnected and left in the cockpit.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
More in this than than meets the eye Peter.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super work and looks spot on with the highlighting too, I'll have to find that blue next?

Perhaps a 1;16 Spitfire or Hurricane for him to stand next too!

That would need another whole display case on its own, though they do make 1:16 planes out there!

I watched a You Tube vid of a 1:16 Bf 109 yesterday, what a monster to buy and build!

Looks like another bright day, and I'm in the bedroom/office until 4!

Then its the weekend, and I might just................................?

Enjoy the family and finishing your BOB figure, surely in the top 10 for this year?

Have a good one

Regards

Steve H

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Splendid work Peter. If I keep watching your work long enough, I might just try one myself.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - You bet.

Steve - A real Spitfire flew over when I was out for a walk with my daughter and granddaughter yesterday - we're back to at least two a day here now. Emily and Remi didn't get it (girls!). I might be able to manage a 1/72 Spitfire, but can you imagine the level of skill required to build a 1/16 flying model? Hope the day goes well and you feel set up for the hairy sticks at the weekend.

Colin - Go on: you know you want to.

D

Deleted member 6559

He's finished:

100_7838.JPG100_7836.JPG100_7837.JPG100_7835.JPG

The parachute and harness was quite complicated to do - some instructions would have been helpful, as I spent a lot of time checking out on-screen reference trying to get everything positioned correctly. I also found that the parachute needed more work before painting, including the removal of the damaged rip-cord tube, which I had to replace. Then it was on to making the microphone cable and oxygen tube, fitting the sun visor and finally sticking it all on a base.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
He looks absolutely terrific.

I'm completely in awe of you guys who produce figures like this. It's all I can do to make one of my pilots look vaguely human.

If he wasn't a BoB pilot I'd say he looks like he's just been asked whether Schrodinger's cat is alive, dead, or both :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

I don't think he's thinking about quantum mechanics Steve - probably just wondering what's for tea in the mess - ''Is it sausage night, or is that Tuesday?''

Glad you like him.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Another success even in the reduced scale, you still achieve such high standards.
Well done and all the little nigglely bits to sort out too, nothing like a bit of research mixed into the paint!
Another busy weekend, forecast rain today will be a bonus, and perhaps something interesting too.
My tiny pilot already looks better with Good colour references.
Thank you.
Maybe even some AB work too?
Have a good weekend with the girls and your next project
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Thank you.

Jason - Thanks also. Very inspired by your work.

Steve - I'm pleased that it worked out. I have a few other 120mm figures in the stash, but I think I'll go back to busts for a while. Mixed weather forecast for the weekend, and we're hoping it's going to be OK for a picnic at the beach tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing that something interesting.