Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

I thought I might as well try and see if I could do something with the figures I already have. I wouldn't say it was a great success, but given the size it could have been much worse. Tamiya sized bottle top for scale.

I started with the Dapol railway worker on the right. I repositioned his left arm a bit and tried to adjust his clothing and headgear with milliput. He definitely needs more work, but with a few more attempts I might be onto something, although I'll never make a sculptor :smiling5:

YwbntvI.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They don’t need much more work at all, if you ask me. Just sharpen up the hat and the bottom of his coat (cut it straight with a knife) and add the front fly (again, carve it with a knife), and you’ll have a very acceptable figure once painted up. Sure, more practice will probably make your next attempts better, but you certainly didn’t ruin this one :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Jakko.

Really struggling to do much better given his size, but it's already better than I'd hoped for so if I can manage a few tweaks he'll get included.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a catch up Andy, like the additions and paint work. Can't offer any advice on the figures , but the guys have that well covered .

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim, a few tweaks and he looks a bit better. I'm hoping to have him operating the crane so he'll be quite hidden anyway.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stowage has come out well Andy. Certainly adds more interest to the build. Good luck with the figures

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Steve. I'm slowly adding more bits and pieces as the ideas come to me. As you say it all adds interest.

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm still not finished with the vehicles but I made a tentative start on the base today. I began with an old picture frame that I saved during a recent loft clean up. It was a little bigger than I'd planned but it'll do.

After removing the rather lovely cat picture and glass, I hacked up a bit of 8mm particle board left over from the kitchen fit out. I gave this a good roughing up then covered it in dilute PVA, tile grout and sand, to start off the process of adding some texture. Since I'm going for a desert plain kind of thing it doesn't need too much rise & fall

xFloK39.jpg

And this is a rough mock up of the layout. I was going to make my own tent(s), and still might, but these Italeri ones may suffice with a bit of work. After this pic I started building up the ground around the well and campfire. I'd thinned their bases as much as possible but they still look like lumps of plastic thrown on top, so they needed "blending in" a bit.

1NOnEdJ.jpg

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking good Andy, and don't give up on the figures. I think that one shows great promise for a first attempt, especially at this scale

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

Looking good Andy, and don't give up on the figures. I think that one shows great promise for a first attempt, especially at this scale
Cheers Neil. After a bit of a clean up and the first few layers of paint I'm quite happy with him. I thought if I made a start on the layout it would give me a better idea of the kind of figures I'd need, and where to put them.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've started adding some colour and shading to the tents with Mr Color Khaki. Just airbrushed so far, but they'll be getting some dry brushing and washes later. The holes are for wooden poles that I'm still working on.

You can also see where I've built the terrain up around the well and campfire.

8XkDpN5.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That set up looks fine to me. Figures are worth the effort.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Same here Andy...looks good. You'll be adding footprints later?

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim. I was worried about there being too much open space, but I guess there would be on a wide open desert plain.

Footprints hadn't even crossed my mind Richard, I'm still a rookie struggling with the basics :smiling5: I've gone fancy and bought a few different shades of fine gravel for this, to give it a more rocky than sandy look, but I suppose there would still be prints or tyre tracks to some extent.

Even more for me to get my head around :upside: