Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, it is made for water based acrylics .....no wonder you had difficulty on your earlier tries. What medium of paint did you use earlier might I ask?

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Beginning to get that hard use overworked look......I like it!:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Andy as usual im a late comer on your build as ive just looked right through it an ive really enjoyed it to see your creative juices flow an when you gonna fix on the crane ? more please
chris

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi Andy, it is made for water based acrylics .....no wonder you had difficulty on your earlier tries. What medium of paint did you use earlier might I ask?

Cheers,
Richard
Mr Color and MRP.
it's possible with both if you use thin enough coats as the water can still penetrate through, but obviously not as easily as with water based ones.

Thanks Rick & Chris. The crane will go on near the end as I'll only knock it off lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank Jim, hopefully I'll have more time to spend on it soon.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Peter.

It's been far too hot in the shed lately to get anything done, but I should get back to it soon.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great paint job andy , looks well knackered ! Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony & Steve.

Knackered is exactly the look I'm going for on the top half, mated to a newer / well maintained chassis, so it sounds like I've got half of it right so far lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Well I'm still plodding along with this. Finding it very difficult due to my inherent lack of "vision" and creativity, but hopefully if I keep plugging away it'll all come together in the end :smiling3: I really ought to stick to things that don't need much imagination, but I'm forcing myself out of my comfort zone.

I've got most of the main colours on now so it's been sealed with a coat of matt varnish. Still loads more to do, and I need to make a start on toning down most of the green bits, which are the imaginary modifications / new additions.

ar6xsFG.jpg

wplE6QG.jpg

Still very plain looking and needs a lot more "junk" adding to it, but if I wait until I've figured that out I'd get nowhere :smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's looking reeeaaalll good Andy!

I've found when I've done my imaginary builds, a browse through my spares box often inspires ideas like: "I like the shape of this bit. What could it be and where could I put it?"

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Dave. I've tried that several times but am yet to hit upon a combination that I like the look of, hence starting the paint. One current idea is poles / tarps stored on the rear wheel arches for a large tent / marquee. I'd love to make a base with them setting up camp, but since I still can't find any suitable non-military figures, I might have to think of something else.

Thanks Richard, I did get some safety style railings for walkways along the side, but I know that's not what you mean. I'm staying away from any kind of armour / armaments as one would hope that after an apocalypse or world-devastating war, humans would finally realise that peace is the better option :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I still can't find any suitable non-military figures
What kind of figures do you have in mind? Modern civilians? Post-apocalypse Mad Max-style? Bathing suits? :smiling3:

Reactions: PJR
D

Deleted member 7181

Bathing suits? :smiling3:
How did you guess! :smiling5:

If I get that far I'm thinking of a desert scene, so Arab / Bedouin / desert dwellers, setting up something resembling a traditional Bedouin tent, near a well.

There seems to be a few sets with weapons, but I'm struggling to find "peaceful" ones. Yes I could cut off the weapons, but in the ones I've seen the poses would be strange without them.

And thanks Tim. Cross-posting so missed your comment.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy
Just caught up with this thread. Love the idea behind it and the execution so far looks great, you should definitely keep on going.
Just a thought, I don’t know how aggressive you want this thing to look, but you see some dystopian future vehicles bristling with make shift spears in areas. It might add a little more detail in an area?

I will be interested to see where this build goes.
Cheers
P

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Catch up time! Great work so far Andy, love the way this is coming together and the paint scheme should start to tie it together.

Keep plodding away and remember, like sci-fi stuff these type of builds means you can add as much detail as you like-use anything.