Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another option for chisel blades is this.....
Not the cheapest, but probably better than the Trumpeter range as the blades are easily replaced rather than resharpened...have a look through the Swann Morton web site, there are things there than will make you wince.....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Damn , those look good!
They'll have to wait until I'm back off furlough and my drastically reduced salary, though:worried:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s just Steampunk moved forward thirty years or so, into the Jazz age and beyond.....there are all sorts of weird offshoots in the war gaming fraternity.
Ever played Crimson Skies, either the computer game or the hex map version by FASA?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Once or twice on PC, but I used to get shot down regularly by airships....didn’t help that my PC at the time was underpowered and the game didn’t run that smoothly..thought it was an interesting concept though..l.

D

Deleted member 7181

While the cat's away....

With Zoë being at the office today, and the shed being hotter than the sun, I commandeered the kitchen table. SWMBO already has the Dining Room table as her WFH space, so it was the next best thing

7fwZisK.jpg

With the front and back doors open there was a lovely through-draft keeping me cool, so I cracked on with adding some pipes & wires to the crane. I know the flexible hoses should be thicker than the hard lines really, but had to make do with what I had (and what would stick!) ~0.5mm steel wire for the pipes, 0.4mm lead wire for the hoses and some copper stripped from a bit of old flex for the cable.

s7xCLYy.jpg

It's a fragile as a fragile thing on Delicate Island, but I've planned so that I can paint it separate from the main rig, hopefully reducing accidents!

Almost forgot to add this picture. I did some more work on the mounting for the crane too. It needs tidying up a bit and some added detail, but it's a start.

ElTdAWH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Dave.

Yes, I kept going backwards and forwards to the shed getting more stuff, and pretty soon I'd spread far & wide :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very cool, and a good use of all the junk you accumulate in the spares box :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all.

I'm reaching the limits of my eyesight and dexterity with this. And patience at times lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Andy, you are turning into a modeller with some great skills. This scratchery is impressive, most impressed. Believe in yourself mate.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all, I'm glad you like it so far.

Great work Andy, you are turning into a modeller with some great skills. This scratchery is impressive, most impressed. Believe in yourself mate.
Cheers John, very kind of you to say. Confidence is something I've always struggled with, and I get knocked back very easily, but I really appreciate everyone's encouraging comments and they spur me on :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These kinds of things are good practice for converting/scratchbuilding “real” models: you can experiment to your heart’s content to get things the way you want to build them. You get to develop techniques that will come in handy when you want to convert a model of a real subject, without fear of things going overly wrong — here, you can always just change things so your mistake looks like you intended it that way. For example, say your sawing the locomotive in two had gone crooked. No problem taking a bit more off here, while you wouldn’t want to make that mistake if you were, say, trying to make a model of a stretched car :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Ha, yes, I've certainly made a few dodgy cuts!

Because of that I'm in the habit of cutting oversize where I can, then finishing off with sanding. Hopefully I'll get more accurate with practice.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

I've made a start on the chassis this morning, so first job was to deconstruct the MAN

WyyLKM4.jpg

With that stripped and the chassis from the new kit built, I could start chopping them around. Trying my best to keep the cuts square!

wZMM0P2.jpg

After a bit of trimming it went together pretty well. This isn't the finished layout, the central set of axle locations got chopped out, and the rear (left) section was extended to add the towing pintle

ecMTy6l.jpg

This finally gave me a chance to try on the wheels. There isn't a huge difference between them, but the MAN ones just look a tad weedy next to the larger, more knobbly MAZ ones.

MAN
7J4z3Z9.jpg

MAZ
P6SzUYM.jpg

MAN
vWmpKBp.jpg

MAZ
bWmIRv5.jpg

I think I'm settled on the bigger ones but would welcome your thoughts.

That then leads to a question about stripping paint from rubber tyres. I usually use methylated spirits for hard plastic, but not sure if it would be safe on the soft rubber. Any tips appreciated.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There have been so many materials used, I wouldn't hazard a guess. Why not paint over? Test on rear of a tire to see what paint works best. Super job on the crane BTW. PaulE

Last edited: