Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. If no one comes up with a definitive suggestion I'll experiment as you say. They're covered in paint, pigments, glue from being stuck to a base, so would prefer to start again if possible.

Cheers Neil:thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
In a post apocalyptic world, they're not going to be new tyres, so some wear and tear would be fine. No need to be too fussy cleaning them up and repainting - a bit of sanding to get rid of the worst of what's there so they look usable and you should be OK.

I've always wondered why folks complain about mould seams on tyres. They have a worn area along the surface where the tyre touches the road and a bit of gentle sanding to remove the seams gives exactly that!

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Dave, I'll bear that in mind.

I read somewhere that putting them in the freezer helps with sanding. I'll have to be careful though or it'll end up running on brussel sprouts!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I'm settled on the bigger ones but would welcome your thoughts.
Is this supposed to be post-apocalyptic? Then I would go for one type on most axles but another in one or two places, and not on the same axle.

D

Deleted member 7181

Is this supposed to be post-apocalyptic? Then I would go for one type on most axles but another in one or two places, and not on the same axle.
I totally get what you're saying, but I just couldn't! :smiling5:

The trailer might be a different story though. If I can I'd like that to be almost completely scratch built, except for the wheels, so anything goes. It's a big if, but I'll give it a go.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nothing to lose except some materials if it goes wrong, so go for it, I’d say :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, yes, I've certainly made a few dodgy cuts!

Because of that I'm in the habit of cutting oversize where I can, then finishing off with sanding. Hopefully I'll get more accurate with practice.
Nothing wrong in that method Andy, far better to sand than to have to re make.

D

Deleted member 7181

Progress has been a bit slow due to work but I've been piecing the chassis together, using a mixture of old & new parts.

I had to extend some of the prop shafts due to the new wheel spacing so used the old joints, bits of rod, and some tubing to get the various angles right and the simulate different diameters caused by sliding joints etc.

4etsu2w.jpg

There are still some redundant holes and pin marks to fix, but adding all this has stiffened it up nicely.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks EJ.

I started today by smoothing off the underside. There were lots of ribs, and swivel points for the bogies that looked out of place, so I ground them down as much as I could (and ended up with lots of holes!), added some offcuts of card as packing pieces, then thin card. This now gives me a nice flat surface to add ribs & rails back in, but in the right place this time.

BuLSmmc.jpg

I then made a start on the trailer. It's going to be a drawbar type, with swivelling front bogie, about 2/3 the length of the main rig. The main part of its chassis was made up from Maquett I-beam, doing my best to keep it square & true, then I dived into the bogie. Framework was again made with (smaller) I-beam and the inverted leaf springs were made by laminating 2 x 0.5mm strip.

NGDwnrI.jpg

The underside looks a bit messy as I've used CA on the (brown) torque rods to add strength. Technically these should have swivels at either end but I haven't yet developed the Simon/Scottie/Steve superhuman powers needed for that kind of detail :smiling5:

A bit of crud should disguise it well enough later down the line.

YSfhEVW.jpg

And in place on the chassis with wheels added temporarily on a rod running through the axle tube. Now that I have the height I can work on the rear suspension tomorrow and add the towing A frame to the bogie.

R40hkOk.jpg

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Andy - I'm late to this one, but what a great project, looks fun and challenging at the same time.

Peter

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul, and good to have you along Peter.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Steve, glad you're liking it so far.

I got the rear axle done today. Here it is with the wonky wheels held on with blutack. At least they all touch the ground lol

Qw4Lchx.jpg

And without the wheels

1EZ6Xm0.jpg

I dug this out of the bottom drawer of my PC desk. I used to use it for chopping photo's up but it does a great job on thin plasticard.

GqwQtLa.jpg

Using that, cutting a square deck for the chassis was easy. I edged it in C section, added the towing frame at the front, and put on a few rivet & rib details

dcpi8gg.jpg

I've also made a start on a fuel bowser for it. I'm not sure how uniform I'm going to get the shape so it might end up covered in stuff to disguise that! :smiling5:

ZeKEFYI.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking mighty fine. If you pin/bush the bogies you could get some articulation if placed on rough ground or have you? The chopper was a great find. Don't forget, what ever was not ready-to-hand was rough cutnfit fabricated by non-pros, likely w/o proper tools:smiling3:. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely work I was thinking of getting one of those paper cutters now I think I will look again.