Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

This just keeps getting better.
Thanks Dave. I'm coming up to the tricky bits where I need to get creative and start adding the bodged up additions. Imagination is not my strong point, but hopefully something will come to me.

Looking mighty fine. If you pin/bush the bogies you could get some articulation if placed on rough ground or have you? The chopper was a great find. Don't forget, what ever was not ready-to-hand was rough cutnfit fabricated by non-pros, likely w/o proper tools:smiling3:. PaulE

Thanks Paul. I did consider articulation but thought it might push me a bit far. There's none in the main rig, and I'm thinking about a flat, arid landscape for a base anyway, so the bit of "slop" in the axles will hopefully be enough.

Lovely work I was thinking of getting one of those paper cutters now I think I will look again.

Thanks mate. I saw the cutters mentioned somewhere and remembered I'd still got one. It works a treat.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very impressed. It all looks neat and well thought out.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim and Bob, although I'm not sure about well thought out. More a case of winging it and making things up as I go along! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been working on the fuel bowser today.

I took the basic shape that'd been drying overnight and shortened it as it looked a bit too big. I added some ends, strengthening ribs, and a vent & hatch on top. The hose reel is just balanced in place for the picture, it'll be easier to paint off, and there's space at the side for some kind of pump/control box to follow.

I also added a couple of panels to look like welded-on field repairs. It's hard to find a balance between it looking like I've done a bad job, and doing a good job of making it look badly repaired. Or maybe I'm just using the latter as an excuse for the former... :tongue-out2:

In hindsight using checker plate might have given a better contrast, but it's too late now.

PK3Z2F8.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s looking very good. I especially like the big patch welded on to the side :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko. There's a smaller one on the other side, in a different place, to keep it random.

D

Deleted member 7181

Ha-ha, thanks chaps.

As you've both probably noticed by now I have my ups and downs. I'd put today down as a good one, really happy with what I've done. So while the juices were flowing I carried on a bit and got the control panel done.

OHJf2jO.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great to me as well.......the fuel tank in particular is fantastic. Not an easy shape to pull off!

D

Deleted member 7181

Dave - I've been rumbled, it's actually life sized, I've just built an enormous replica of my bench as a back drop :smiling5:

Thanks Tim. I'd planned to use the tank from a kit I have but had a go at making one instead. It isn't perfect, but more than close enough for me.

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Well, I must have drained what little reserves of creativity I had building the tank, as since then I've just sat staring at this build thinking "what now?"

If nothing comes to me in the next few days I'll have to move on to something else, as it's getting a bit boring :sleeping:

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
It happens, I went to the shed last night and looked at everything and went, meh.
If it becomes a chore it's not fun.....

• Sad
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You've not provided any defensive measures yet. Try taking a relook at inet pics of Mad Max & Fury Road vehicles for inspiration. PaulE