Project Merlin

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Impressive stuff paul , its going to be a fascinating watch . As a former wood butcher myself I can appreciate the skill youve got to take this task on . Some lovely looking chisels and planes there too . Cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a belated welcome from me also i dabbeled in wood a bit making my scratchbuilt tiger hull but nothing like you are doing this will be fantstic again welcome Paul
chris

D

Deleted member 5496

Wow Paul quite a layout. A man who like to know where things are & keep it tidy. Man after my own character.

Laurie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul.
A truly beautiful catalogue of your work, I can appreciate the skill and amount of time in both designing and making them.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Impressive stuff paul , its going to be a fascinating watch . As a former wood butcher myself I can appreciate the skill youve got to take this task on . Some lovely looking chisels and planes there too . Cheers tony

Thanks Tony. :smiling: Yeah, it's been a while apart from making a sideboard last year. Once the workshop was fitted out, it was great to clean up the old bench planes and get reacquainted with them. I also have a 200 year old panel plane (maker unknown) with rosewood inserts. I bought it as a restoration project years ago, but still not restored it. A cool little project for the future.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
AN a belated welcome from me also i dabbeled in wood a bit making my scratchbuilt tiger hull but nothing like you are doing this will be fantstic again welcome Paul
chris

Thanks Chris. The Tiger Hull sounds interesting. I did a bit of boat building years ago. A beautiful craft.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Laurie. :thumb2: Yeah, I'm a bit OCD. :smiling: But I love neat & tidy - it's easy on the mind.
HI Paul:thinking: well if you like neat an tidy bench you'll have to apply to JIM-R for membership of the T.B.C lol :rolling: ;)
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Am I the only one really impatient for this one?

Your back catalogue is splendid. The window "seat" is just class.

Last edited:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
HI Paul:thinking: well if you like neat an tidy bench you'll have to apply to JIM-R for membership of the T.B.C lol :rolling: ;)
chris

Hi Chris. You'll have to enlighten me on the T.B.C. - Tidy Bench Cleaner? :thinking: It's not a maid in her maids outfit giving the bench a good tidy by any chance? :smiling:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Am I the only one really impatient for this one?

Your back catalogue is splendid. The window "seat" is just class.

Thanks Andrew. :smiling: Yeah, I can't wait to get going with this, but it's going to be a lengthy build.

I really enjoyed the window seat. It's made from 'rock' maple. The clients were thrilled to bits with it. Thanks. :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris. You'll have to enlighten me on the T.B.C. - Tidy Bench Cleaner? :thinking: It's not a maid in her maids outfit giving the bench a good tidy by any chance? :smiling:
HI Paul no the T.B.C. is an exsculsevie club run by Jim R an its the tidy bench club on this foreum an its free i think as i have no hope of ever getting in so ive been told by J/R as nor has he but you said you like clean an tidy so i prusume you mean your bench lol
chris ps AS we are member of THE U.T.B.C. ( untidy bench club ) lol

Last edited:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
HI Paul no the T.B.C. is an exsculsevie club run by Jim R an its the tidy bench club on this foreum an its free as i have no hope of ever getting in so ive been told by J/R as nor has he but you said you like clean an tidy so i prusume you mean your bench lol
chris ps AS we are member of THE U.T.B.C. ( untidy bench club ) lol

:smiling2: Sounds great! I would definitely like to become a member of the T.B.C. Yep, everything I own is neat & tidy. I am OCD, although not where it becomes a problem - I don't have rituals or anything like that. When I was a pro in the old workshop, clients who came to visit me for the first time often remarked on the tidy workshop. I just like things in a tidy manner, but not obsessive, or I don't think I am.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Impressive stuff. Everything organised and well planned. Really looking forward to this. Looking at you work shows you are very skilled.

Dear Mr Merlin
We at the Tidy Bench Club, henceforth known as the TBC, are an exclusive club for modellers who keep their work benches in a clean, tidy and organised state. We have very high standards and many try to gain entry but few reach the levels required. One John Race, for example, regularly sends in an application but despite many underhand tricks and falsehoods we at the TBC see through his subterfuges.
Having seen the above photos we would welcome your application to join the Club. It would go before the committee at the earliest opportunity, they are currently on a fact finding tour of The Bahamas. The annual membership fee is £450.00 payable in cash, in a plain envelope, to our finance department c/o The Big and Bouncy Club, Soho, London, W1
Yours
Sir Ponsonby Ffitch Bigcon (TBC Membersip sec.)

Jim

Last edited:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Impressive stuff. Everything organised and well planned. Really looking forward to this. Looking at you work shows you are very skilled.

Dear Mr Merlin
We at the Tidy Bench Club, henceforth known as the TBC, are an exclusive club for modellers who keep their work benches in a clean, tidy and organised state. We have very high standards and many try to gain entry but few reach the levels required. One John Race, for example, regularly sends in an application but despite many underhand tricks and falsehood we at the TBC see through his subterfuges.
Having seen the above photos we would welcome your application to join the Club. It would go before the committee at the earliest opportunity, they are currently on a fact finding tour of The Bahamas. The annual membership fee is £450.00 payable in cash, in a plain envelope, to our finance department c/o The Big and Bouncy Club, Soho, London, W1
Yours

Jim

:smiling: :smiling2: :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :tongue-out3: Hi Jim, thanks very much Sir - where do I sign? :tears-of-joy: :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Paul

Dear Mr Merlin
We at the Tidy Bench Club, henceforth known as the TBC, are an exclusive club for modellers who keep their work benches in a clean, tidy and organised state. We have very high standards and many try to gain entry but few reach the levels required. One John Race, for example, regularly sends in an application but despite many underhand tricks and falsehood we at the TBC see through his subterfuges.
Yours

Jim
That's very unkind :loudly-crying::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

Excuse me Paul, see how the TBC treats some applicants, becareful.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA John i think you are right we will never get in :crying:especially as the state of our benches LOL :nerd: ;):rolling::flushed::smiling::smiling::smiling: ps but im happy to be in the U.T.B.C. saves a lot of tidying up lol
chris

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
That's very unkind :loudly-crying::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

Excuse me Paul, see how the TBC treats some applicants, becareful.

Hi John, yes, I can see how unkind this statement is and thank you for your concern - I shall be very careful.

Perhaps Sir Ponsonby is actually with the committee on the fact finding tour of The Bahamas and was in midst of a jolly whilst preparing the above message. I'm suspecting the committee may have been overwhelmed by the local tribal dancers who were trying to imitate the English folk Morris dancers. Perhaps this excitement has created the unfortunate statement. I'm only surmising of course. But thanks all the same. :thumb2: