Revell 1:110 HMS Bounty

First Name
Tony
Recently received this kit as a gift and looking forward to the build. Looking on the internet there are many good reviews of the kit, despite the original release being in 1956 by Revell, Venice, Calif. Looking at my kit, some of the parts show dates from 1978 and 1984, it's obviously had changes over the years. Again reading on the internet, there is a lot of scope to carry out updates and modification. Looking through the kit, first impressions are very positive.

Made a very basic start of the rowing boat (lifeboat) and left it on the kitchen window bottom for the paint to dry, my wife, who rarely passes comment on my models said "it looks a neat little model on it's own". Next, the deck needs the moulding marks removing and then painting.

Undecided about the kit supplied sails and plastic shrouds/ratlines, perhaps I'm thinking about them too early in the build.

Loved the 1984 film about the ship and it's encounters - The Bounty, with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins. Just had to watch it again.

Thanks for looking in,
Tony

Bounty (1).JPGBounty (2).JPG

First Name
Tony
Some further progress made with this little kit. I've placed a pen against the hull as an indication of the size. The hull isn't glued together in this latest photograph, there is still more cleaning up to be done and some painting first. Looking forward to progressing further now more paints have arrived from John and the team in the shop.

Despite the age of the kit, to date it is a very enjoyable build.

Bounty (3).JPG

Last edited:
First Name
Tony
Still making slow progress with this one. The white under the water has only had a first coat and I will probably give it two more before mixing in approx. 10% Ochre for the finishing coats to match the rowing boat's hull. The strip above the white, which is not yet painted will be anthracite and the brown above still need the edges tidying. Quite pleased with the freehand blue and light brown.

Still enjoying this build very much. Thanks for taking a look.

Tony

Bounty (8e).jpgBounty (7e).jpg

First Name
Tony
Steve,
I haven't started to research the rigging yet and would be pleased to hear of your references. I am considering making my own furled-up sails and not using the kit supplied vac formed ones, so the rigging will be more visible. The kit supplied shrouds might also be replaced with home made ones, just haven't decided yet, guess I've not progressed the model enough yet.
Thanks,
Tony

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony,
By far the most comprehensive, clear and accurate reference is as follows; McKAY, John (1989) The Armed Transport, B0UNTY. Hardback. Pub: Conway Maritime Press (Anatomy of the Ship series) ISBN: 0 85177 502 0.
I think the vac-formed sails are crap, not to put too fine a point on it! All of the drawings in the book are scaled (less the isometrics) so a competent computer user (me excluded) can translate to the appropriate size. When I was into ship construction I used lightweight fine linen (ex handkerchiefs/blouses) stiffened with dilute PVA; once set the material takes pencil (for cloths and stitching etc), cuts cleanly without fraying and can be furled as required. I made cringles and eyelets with fine wire and CA. Model ship companies sell appropriate thickness standing and running rigging, eyebolts, blocks etc. If you PM me your address I'll send you a send you a bag of block etc (gratis) that I've discovered whilst reorganising my cave!
Good Luck
Steve

Last edited:
First Name
Tony
The build is still slowly progressing, the stern windows, nameplate and ornamental carving was completed. Since the photograph, the glued joint line has been touched up. This wasn't easy at this scale. Next the rudder hinge detail, which I started masking last night, the canons and anchors. The handrail mounted swivel canons and anchors will probably be put on one side until after the rigging, to prevent damage.

Bounty (12).JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found this Tony, so had a read through.
The paintwork looks good and the model itself seems to be very clean and well detailed. Love the rowing boat on the deck.

Nice to see Airborne01 Steve offering such detailed knowledge.:thumb2: This is what a modelling forum is all about, helping one another.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just found this Tony, so had a read through.
The paintwork looks good and the model itself seems to be very clean and well detailed. Love the rowing boat on the deck.

Nice to see Airborne01 Steve offering such detailed knowledge.:thumb2: This is what a modelling forum is all about, helping one another.
Thanks John - nothing you wouldn't do!
Steve

First Name
Tony
Thanks, Tim, John and Andrew for taking the time to add such good positive feedback and thanks to Steve for the information about the book and the two boxes of "goodies" which the postman brought. As John says "this is what a modelling forum is all about, helping one another".

Should have posted this photograph yesterday of the bow, I've now added the winch, catheads and belfry. Its looking quite a "busy" deck now. The book which Steve advised gave the information about the anthracite colour of the catheads, on some ships these were untreated wood. Again the book corrected me, at the stern there was a housing over the rudder linkage, which isn't included in the Revell kit, I will need to scratch build this.

Oh well, almost there with the easy part, other than the canons, the "fun" is about to start with the masts, sails and rigging.

Bounty (13).JPG

First Name
Tony
The summer months always seems to slow progress on the model making part of life. Grass to cut, weeds to clear painting to do and and a whole host of other things which "life" throws at us.

Moan over, here is the latest progress with this Revell miniature. Deck canons fitted, side windows painted and glued, lanyards + deadeyes now ready for the shrouds. Figurehead and bowsprit also done. The masts and yards are currently being worked on, I intend to replace the kit supplied shrouds and ratlines with own made. As previously mentioned the anchors and canons have been put into storage until later. I also plan to scratch build a couple of stern lanterns and add some scrollwork to the stern.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bounty (14).JPGBounty (15).JPG

First Name
Tony
Still making slow and steady progress with this lovely little sailing ship kit. The current work being carried out is on the masts. The wooldlings (heavy rope bands, on some ships they were iron), around the foremast were tricky but nevertheless an interesting little job to do. The mainmast and mizzen masts are now being worked on, for ease of access, they wont be glued in place until after the shrouds and ratlines have been completed on the foremast.

Tony

Bounty (20e).jpg