Revell/ICM 1/35 German Infantry 1914

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have a little bit of progress to report on the field of 'mustard'
The full story of how it came about is here;
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/trial-of-nigella-leaves-tales-from-the-potting-bench.35742/

All the plants are made and sprayed now and just waiting for the Sculptamold to dry out on the base.
I hairsprayed them to hold the flowers in place and then matt lacquered them.
IMG_20200803_165847332_HDR.jpg
I mixed paint in with the Sculptamold to avoid the white showing through, it's a bit sandy looking at the moment but I will darken it down once it's fully dry
I've done the base for the Poilus as well. I don't know what kind of greenery they should have yet
IMG_20200803_170123403.jpg
anyway that's all for now, folks!
thanks for looking
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Great horticulture Neil. You've the patience of a saint.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great horticulture Neil. You've the patience of a saint.
thanks Peter, but really I haven't.
I always look for a quicker way to do repetitive things- that's why they are mounted on masking tape. It enabled me to do them in batches,rather than individually.
Is it impatience or efficiency????? Or is the one the father to the other?

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well I've finally got around to finishing the base.
I darkened the earth and gave it a wash with GW Agrax Earthshade ink(and spilled the entire bottle over my trousers in the process :rolling: ).
Then I positioned the figures
IMG_20200811_205601111.jpg
The Sculptamold is very soft and doesn't give any support to the pins of the figures, so I drilled through to the plastic of the base.
Then came the planting, and this is where the softness of the Sculptamold was an advantage. I just made a hole with a needle and simply glued each stem in place with Evo-Stik, which I use because it is brown and flexible. I started in the middle and worked outwards, in case I ran out of plants.I did at one point and made some more, and it could do with a few more at the back. I still have a couple of sprigs left, but I can't be bothered now.
All told it took me about an hour.
And that's all there is to it.

...............and then I realised I hadn't painted the rifle slings! They are brown in the shot above because I used brown electrical tape-which is probably why I forgot to paint them.
Now that WAS a challenge, the risk of dropping the whole thing was heart-stopping( well ,maybe I exaggerate a little.........)
Anyway, here is a reminder of what I was trying to represent

p19-ww1.jpg
And here they are

Finished (1).jpgFinished (2).jpgFinished (3).jpgFinished (4).jpg

I resisted trampling too many as in the original picture there are not great paths showing through the blooms as you might expect. What I can't represent are the clouds of dust!

HUGE thanks to Gentleman John(Percy) Race for discovering and then providing the Nigella plants.
Thanks all for looking and for all the encouragement- it really does help me to carry on and finish these things.
Cheers
Neil

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
That is superb. A very "out of the ordinary" dio. The planting makes it. You do indeed have great patience ...... and skill.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Fantastic Neal. Really nicely done and there's no mistaking the reference - you've caught it exactly.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks very much Peter.
It's the first picture in my first book on WWI I had when I was a teenager and it's always piqued my interest, so it's very pleasing to have found a way-quite by chance- of referencing it.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Absolutely stunning Neil. You really have set the scene well. Its definitely up there with the best of them. Well done mate