Revell M113 A1

S

sausagefingers

After my first attempt at modelling went slightly pear shaped and I sent the Tornado to a fiery death ( less said about that the better ) I decided to give it another bash.

Didn't want to tempt fate so haven't done a build thread ( apologies).

The kit went together OK but was quite 'gappy' , some of the parts on the instructions didn't exist but there were twice as many of other parts so used them instead.I'm glad I managed to pick it up very cheaply as the level of detail was slightly disapointing,that said I did really enjoy putting it together.

I was looking forward to painting it and having a go at weathering for the first time.I had a picture in my mind of a slightly muddied tank,unfortunately I have no self control and ended up throwing the kitchen sink at it,once I started I couldn't stop myself and it's ended up looking like a bit of a pig's ear.

Anyway,enough waffling - here it is.My first finished model in over 30 years,the first one I've painted and my first attempt at weathering ( think that's enough excuses :smiling3: )

Any criticisms or pointers for improvement are more than welcome although I do cry easily ;)

Cheers, Mick

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nowt wrong with that

you have to start somewhere with this weathering lark and it is very easy to get carried away, i remember my first couple of go's :oops: looked like they had been dropped in a bucket of mud lol lol

whats next on the bench?....more armour?

P

Polux

Lovely model Mick

Nice weathering!

Isn't a criticism, only a suggest, try a Brown wash or a dark green filter :smiling3:

Very nice model, and now, which one? ;)

S

sausagefingers

Thanks for the replies chaps. I did want to try a wash but have no idea how to do one ( not that it stopped me trying all the other effects :oops: ),is a filter something similar?

And yes, more armour :smiling3: .

I've just made a start on a Tamiya kit,this time I'll do a build thread so I can hopefully get tips as I build it instead of making it up as I go along

Cheers,Mick

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thats great for a second build infact id go as far as saying excellent :smiling3: id be more than happy if my second build had turned out like that

Very well done indeed :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb look model, as said a tone down wash will help to soften the decals and also soften the weathering of the steel (slightly heavy handed, but it is all a learning curve). Apart from that a great build, honest, as Ian pointed out "Nowt wrong with it."

Si:smiling3:

S

sausagefingers

'Slightly heavy handed' is putting it mildly ;)

Even when I knew I had gone too far I couldn't stop and just carried on,it was like watching a car crash

Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes on the next one,fingers crossed :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
'Slightly heavy handed' is putting it mildly ;) Even when I knew I had gone too far I couldn't stop and just carried on,it was like watching a car crash

Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes on the next one,fingers crossed :D
LOL, I can be the same, even now I think...just a bit more. It is remembering the scale and also the scale of the men that would be clambering in and out and all over it and then work out boot and hand scuffs etc. Same with equipment look at the size and then work out the amount wear from taking on and off. Subtle weathering and pitting, try more dry brushing that may help in edges etc, just load the brush lightly and dab off and then flick around edging etc and see if that looks any better. This way is perfect to learn from and when you are feeling more confident then you can move up to chipping.

S

sausagefingers

Hate to say it but I tried dry brushing on the lower hull on the front - it looked that bad that I had to cover it in mud :eek:

I really am that rubbish :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hate to say it but I tried dry brushing on the lower hull on the front - it looked that bad that I had to cover it in mud :eek:I really am that rubbish :smiling3:
No your not, we have all been there, I find a stiff brush helps in this field and not a lot of paint, you can add if you have to. You will get the hand of it and then you will wonder what all the fuss was about lol.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, I reckon this is a great build, not seen a M113 that isn't covered in mud or dust. Most wouldn't even attempt weathering on their first return builds. Top stuff, look forward to the next model now, you will only get better and better with more builds.

N

noble

I like this it is a very good second attempt, never put yourself down like Eddie said we have all been there all of us. After the help and comments given here you will be surprised at how quickly you improve and learn new things. This is a cracker I like it well done.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Don't put yourself down over this one Mike! I'd be pleased to have that on my shelf for sure.

Did you put a gloss coat on before your decals? It helps hide the clear film surrounding the decal. You can always cover the gloss with a matt coat afterwards and then some weathering will make the decals look painted on.

Gern

S

sausagefingers

Thanks for the kind words,even though it looks nothing like how I wanted it I really enjoyed it.

If you want a laugh,here is the interior.A truly shocking display of how not to do it :eek:

@ Gern thanks for the tip with decals,never knew about that one

Cheers, Mick

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You're welcome Mick.

Matt surfaces are quite rough and when you put decals on them you get tiny little bubbles of air trapped underneath. This is known as 'silvering'. If you want more info. type that into the search on here - you'll find lots of stuff.

Gern

S

sausagefingers

Ahh righto, I've seen silvering mentioned but didn't know what it was - cheers

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks for the kind words,even though it looks nothing like how I wanted it I really enjoyed it.If you want a laugh,here is the interior.A truly shocking display of how not to do it :eek:

@ Gern thanks for the tip with decals,never knew about that one

Cheers, Mick
Nothing to laugh about Mick, there is nothing wrong with that interior. Again you are being your own worse critic. Break it down: the floor looks spot on, great use of colours to give a worn, dusty/rusty feel to it, maybe slightly overdone as I would have left some green. Benches: good use of colour to produce the fabric effect, only thing to add here would be some very slight wear on the bench edges to simulate wear from legs, packs etc. Central seats: look good, maybe slightly overdone in wear, green colour with wear on seat section and edges. Fire extinguisher: Looks pillar-boxy with splodges on, maybe just edging wear again to tone down. All these items come with time and practise, overall you have made a very credible and well painted model that just needs tweaking. As I said before, you are too hard on yourself, it looks good and you should be very proud of it, I would be.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Mick, dont be that hard on your shelf it turned out very well,like the weathering and over all paint job, and ever the floor turned out well,

keep up the good work, and remember we all have your owe style

look forward to your next one

Moni

First Name
Mike
I'm with the others – that's a very creditable first armor model, I'd been modelling for years before I even dared to weather a kit, and believe me it looked much, much worse than yours.

\ said:
Hate to say it but I tried dry brushing on the lower hull on the front - it looked that bad that I had to cover it in mud
Dry brushing needs only a hint of paint on the brush. I usually dip the brush in the paint and then repeatedly wipe it off on a rag, until there's no paint visible on the bristles or the rag – then I wipe it a few more times. Dry brushing then leaves only the lightest trace of paint on the model which is what you want, just to highlight raised details and edges.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
yours is looking superb right colour the same as i painted mine ive put some pics on here hope you dont mind.

i use foil on the seat to get the worn look

and silvering to combat that once the base colour is done lay down a few layers of a gloss coat that will stop that and also protect your base colour for weathering

hope this helps buddy