Revell U.S.S. Burton Island...Ice Breaker

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all......

Since building my dio. of H.M.S. Belfast going through a North Atlantic Ice flow, this kit caught my eye, so I recently won one on ebay...

It's by Revell and is 1/285 scale, which gives a model about 11" long. It's an old kit, but an interesting subject nontheless.

It's a cob looking ship, but built for the job...Smashing ice!

View attachment 91840

The moulding has plenty of detail, but the ship's handrails are awful. I've cut all the main deck ones off and I will replace them with proper 'see through' mesh ones - No, I don't know how either!

As an example, here's the stern rail before I removed it...

View attachment 91851

Here's the start of the build. Hull and deck glued, all main deck handrails removed and a first lick of paint applied.

View attachment 91852

Thanks for looking and all comments and or suggestions ( I have the vaseline handy!!) readily accepted..

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 016.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 002.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 001.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
John does some Plastruct railings in 1/200 scale which might work Ron. I also know you used to be able to get them in PE but I couldn't find any other than those in (very expensive!) sets tailor made for specific ships.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Ron,o_O

what about using some gauze and just stretch it out alittle,in that scale and beaning only 10mm at the most mite look ok, ? ;)

I can see why you did away with the rails i would two,:rolleyes:

cannot wait to see this one,come along,

are you going to do like the box art,with the ice ?

will look forward to next update,

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the suggestions folks....

Dave, I'll take a look at those railings in John's shop. I did take a look at the P.E. ones on ebay, but apart from the crazy prices, there were none suitable.

Monica, I tried gauze, but because the rail strips are so thin, the stuff came apart as soon as I started to cut them - perhaps a coat of some sort of glue beforehand?

I'm going to do it smashing the ice. If you fancy, take a wander over to my builds and look for my HMS Belfast attempt at ice breaking!!!

Thanks Ian, I hope I don't let our 'Boaties' down.....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely Ron. If you get really stuck with the railings, I've got some 0.02" x 0.04" microstrip and some plain lace you could maybe use to make your own?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking nice Ron, i do like this one,will be watching , ;)

thats what i did mean to say, as I,always paint them before i cut so dont get that problem,

give it a couple of coats of steel or brass, first then a coat or 2 of PVA,watered down :rolleyes:

0ne48thtel

This is looking good Ron for the rails what about the stuff they use for stitches of a fine fishing line.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've sorted the safety mesh for the railings by chopping up one of the wife's sieves!

And, thanks to Monica's tip, they didn't fall to bits when I cut them into strips - Cheers lady!

View attachment 92024

I used scissors, not the modelling knife!

I contacted John at the shop and he kindly sent me a print out of some railings he has, but they were unfortunatey too big. Thanks John.

I've had a go at making the railings this morning, but being very small, nothing I've tried looks right - or neat enough. So conceeding defeat, I'll go on the hunt for some ready made ones...N Gauge is about right, as the height needs to be about 5mm. OO/HO might do cut down a tad too. I'll see what's about.

Thank you to all who have suggested ways for making these railings, I appreciate your help and offers, but I'll have to admit to being an abject failure and - heaven forbid - Buy something!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all,

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well, we tried Ron!

I do feel your pain though. What with having to buy your Zulu figures earlier this week, and now some stuff for railings - and, as if that wasn't enough - you gotta get Justine a new seive too! Seems things are just going from bad to worse!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you David, I find your concern is most touching....

Incidently, I've just found and purchased a suitable (near enough with a bit of hacking about) set of railings for titchy boat.

As you rightly point out, I'll have to replace the wife's seive, but I will get her a nice posh one......That's her Christmas present sorted!!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bl***y weather, I can't get out!

So to relieve my frustration, I've done a bit more to the ship...

I've added a bit more superstructure, the chimney and the heli-deck. That's it for the main structure...Time for the bits and pieces.

View attachment 92031

Unlike the side rails, the netting on the heli-deck is moulded in, so I just rubbed over it with a pencil...It looks o.k.

View attachment 92032

Just a quick snap of the blunt 'Look out ice!' bow.

View attachment 92033

Thanks for looking,

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 012.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 014.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 015.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Ron.

So no nice light and fluffy cakes for you then, now the wife's seive as gone for a better use.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Ron,

sorry we did try, and it dose get frustrating ,being hug up on a part, :rolleyes:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work Ron , its going to be another superb ice dio like the Belfast , cant wait to see the next instalment , cheers tony