Revell U.S.S. Burton Island...Ice Breaker

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Yes, he was a great bloke. What he could whittle out of a lump of wood was amazing!The rigging is that very thin, stretchy white stuff I won in the Scale Models Raffle at Cosford earlier this year.

I haven't a clue what it's called, but it is something to do with that complete and utter madness called fishing....so said Spike Milligan.

Tin hats on - incoming!!!!
Its called Bait elastic Ron , I got it for 99p from Boyes store at Scarborough (although I think all Boyes have it , not to mention any fishing shop) . Great work with the hull, you know I'm partial to using heavy machinery and hand tools on models!! cheers tony

C

Caledonia

My late father showed me a trick. "Don't worry son, just paint the wires steel grey, they will nearly vanish and look o.k."

Cheers all,

Ron

A wise man your Dad; I have heard of this tip, but never seen it so well illustrated. Sharing tips like this makes viewing this Forum worthwhile, Thanks Ron. Great work with the weathering on the Bow. Cheers Derek

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
fell bahind on this one Ron,and what great work you have done she looks real good, real like the weathering, on her ;)

so glad that you got the rail,s sorted,and the little added detail make it look ever better,:rolleyes:

oh what fun you must of had cutting her down,:confused:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Confession time!

I've completed this project and was about to post the completed diorama, when I remembered I'd forgot to take any pictures of the base construction!

So I've cheated and used the base work pictures from my HMS Belfast dio.

The base is a bit of scrap chipboard with some white paint as a 'primer'

Cut the base for the hull. I chopped off the hull on 'Burton Island' to keep the base thickness down a bit.

View attachment 93893

Here's Belfast fitted in. Give the base a hit and miss coat of whatever colour sea you require. No photo, sorry.

View attachment 93894

Next mix some polyfilla / tile grout and spread it over a piece of scrap something. Let the stuff dry, and then break it up and lay it on the model....Think ice flow!!

View attachment 93895

If you want a more detailed account, have a look at the two Belfast threads in Ships and boats.....

O.K., That's it.

Thanks to you good folks for your support, help and suggestions. It's always good fun to have such comments along the way....

The finished build is in 'Ships and Boats.....Completed.

Cheers,

Ron

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 029.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 031.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Like the Ice Ron, might just try an Ice-scape when I get round to doing the Scharnhorst. Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Like the Ice Ron, might just try an Ice-scape when I get round to doing the Scharnhorst. Derek
Thanks Derek.

There are great pictures on Google Images of Scharnhorst ice-bound in the Kiel Canal and stuck in the Baltic Sea.

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what a great way to get the ice,and braking that up it would never brake the same way,

nice work