Revell U.S.S. Burton Island...Ice Breaker

P

Polux

I missed this one Ron, sorry mate :oops:

Very interesting item, and looking very good so far!!

First Name
Gregg
Definitely looking good, have you tried eileensemporium.com, they do several sheets of different sized grating in copper/brass/steel.

I have some sheets I won't be needing if they are any good to you.

Can you work out how many squares per inch and I will see if I have the required mesh.

Or try this company on e-bay.

STAINLESS STEEL WOVEN WIRE MESH (filter grading sheet)

( 251198345904 )

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts and all the helpful suggestion and offers.....Gregg, P.M. sent.

O.K. the construction of the ship is as good as done. Some minor painting on the heli-pod etc, more weathering and the rigging yet to do....I will add covers for the gun barrels and lifeboats too.

There is a lot of different paint interpretations for this vessel, so I've gone with the box art and a great colour picture I found of her on 'tinternet. So right or wrong this is my stab at the colours...and I'm sticking with them as they look pretty, and anyway I ain't bothered if they are wrong, so there!!!...er, lol !

Here is the ship so far...

View attachment 92287

View attachment 92288

I've made a start on the weathering, which I'm going to do on the heavy side, as she obviously worked in a very harsh environment...I allowed paint to creep under the masking tape on the boot topping on purpose to give a rough ready made line to the colour bands. I think in this instance, it looks better than a clean sharp line....

View attachment 92289

I'm trying to get the bow well scuffed and almost devoid of paint from constantly battering the ice into submission.

View attachment 92290

View attachment 92291

The model will be a waterline version, hence the missing rudder, screws and the paint under the bow being untouched. I might yet show the ship riding up onto the ice prior to the stuff breaking up, if I do I'll weather under the bow a bit more.

Thanks for looking and also thanks again for all your input on this model.

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 024.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 023.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 018.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 022.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Looking good, nice weathering
Thanks Graham, compared with your superb Hood (Which I'm watching closely) this model is a stroll in the park - but it's fun!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Aaron, good to have you along....

Yet again the weather is awful, so I've plodded on a bit more and done the rigging and the two radio antenna.

Here it is in the raw. See how a bit heavy and slightly out of scale it all looks?

My late father showed me a trick. "Don't worry son, just paint the wires steel grey, they will nearly vanish and look o.k."

View attachment 92346

And he was right......Thanks Dad!

View attachment 92347

View attachment 92348

Gun and boat covers to do, some work on the heli-pad, more weathering, and then I can turn my attention to the base.

Cheers all,

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 026.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 027.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 025.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Your dad obviously knew a thing or two! Out of interest though, what did you use for the rigging Ron?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Your dad obviously knew a thing or two! Out of interest though, what did you use for the rigging Ron?
Yes, he was a great bloke. What he could whittle out of a lump of wood was amazing!

The rigging is that very thin, stretchy white stuff I won in the Scale Models Raffle at Cosford earlier this year.

I haven't a clue what it's called, but it is something to do with that complete and utter madness called fishing....so said Spike Milligan.

Tin hats on - incoming!!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nope not going to take the bait.... see what I did there....

Power gum or pole elastic I think is what you have gotten hold of there. Thin and very stretchy, but not to powerful....?

Good little ship so far and I am looking forward to seeing her smash some ice cubes..

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks for your positive posts on my build.

Just a small update.....Today I received two items for this model....

Gregg (ojays) very kindly sent me some excellent quality mesh....Thanks Gregg, it's far better than the stuff my wife's sieve was made of...I'll still have to buy her a new one, mind!

Also, I've got the 'N' gauge railway fencing, which after a careful bit of re-work, has produced a ship's railing that is acceptable. Certainly better than the kit version, although that wouldn't take much doing!

The one on the right is the original fencing. The one on the left is what I've come up with after cutting and filing. It still needs a bit of tidying up, but it's getting there......It's so much easier to file whilst still on the sprue - ask me how I know!

View attachment 92416

As I didn't like the open lifeboats, I've also put covers on these. I used paper from a brown manilla envelope, turned inside out, so the rough and not the shiny side shows, and after sticking it down I added the lashings using a pencil. The lifeboats are about 1/2" long.

View attachment 92417

I'll have a stab at the railings next, then the decals......and finally cut off the surplus hull ready for the base. I had though of doing this first, but such was my excitement to get started, I promptly forgot!

Cheers,

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 028.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 029.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Good luck with the saw Ron,I'm terrified of modding big parts.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
'Fortune favours the brave.' someone wrote this once and boy, does it fit little old me.

I needed to cut the hull just down from the waterline. I should have done it at the start, but forgot, so I just carried on and finished the ship.

An hour ago I ventured into the garage and started to hack at the hull with a saw - Too much shaking of the model. What to use?

The answer.....My trusty angle grinder with an old stone cutting disk fitted.....A receipe for disaster? I though so too, but was surprised just how easy the surplus plastic removal was. The disk actually melted the plastic and it did go through the hull like a hot knife through butter. I was still relieved when the hull fell off safely!!!

View attachment 92511

Here is the finished ship, ready for the base. I'm happy with the modified 'N' gauge railway fencing I used to replace those awful kit ones and the bow safety netting (gauze) has turned out fine...A big thanks to Gregg (ojays) for sending me it.

I've kept a fair bit of the hull below the waterline intact, in case I decide to show the ship riding up on to the ice.

View attachment 92512

View attachment 92513

View attachment 92514

Next up the ice. I am going to use the same method as I used for the HMS Belfast dio, so rather than bore you good people with a repeat of the proceedure, it might be best to condense it into a shorter version.

Say goodbye multi- coloured U.S.S. Burton Island ,'cos next time she will hopefully look like an igloo!!!

Cheers,

Ron

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 030.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 034.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 031.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 032.jpg