Richards Kinetic 1/48 F-18D

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard lovely build so far as I have a super hornet in 1/32 scale to build an ive already built a 1/48th scale super hornet but there is one question im askin if any body can tell me an that on the front landin gear there is a box like gadget with green, amber, an red lights fitted to the front gear an ive been told roughly its to do with landin on a carrier but I cannot see what it does or purpose ?
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks nice Richard. That landing gear is nicely detailed, which I think demonstrates how complex the real thing is. A perfect subject for a spot of weathering.
Thanks Colin, lots of possible degrees of weathering. Some appear clean as a whistle...could be after flight dowsing or some maintenance with OCD. :smiling3:

Hi Richard, great build you have going on here, nice filling and all. And you are building an Uhu? I'm drooling now, need to find the thread ^^

Cheers
Hey Wouter, good to have you along. I didn't know until now that all those little fins and bulges were some sort of avionics or sensors. The D, I was told had additions to the two fins. As for the Uhu, it had a little cat adventure.

I was setting up cupboards in the room so not bench time today.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard Jakko an I have been talkin about that box with the coloulerd light fitted to the front landing gear have you got this to fit in your kit ?. As I have it on my built superhornet kit an I think all the fairly modern carrier planes have them fitted as when I was in the ameican section at duxford there is a nice phantom in there an I see its fitted to that an I found out its a carrier approach altitude indicator for landing on a carrier
chris

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Christopher, yes I have fitted that. The destruction sheet wasn't much help. The part comes in clear plastic so I've painted the back in silver, masked off the front three lenses before attaching and painting it white. The masking is white glue which will be removed and little drops of red, green and blue if I'm not mistaken will be painted in. Have to check the destruction sheet for the colors again.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI AGAIN Richard yes lookin closely at your front undercart you have fitted it
chris ps the colours are red amber an green not blue like a traffic light the only blue light is in the staboard wing nav light

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Richard look on your decals sheet an it should be on there a tiny decal in red amber an green
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris, amber it is just like the traffic lights. The big problem is that the kit doesn't provide any other decals other than the one all in black for the tiger stripes. You don't even get formation light decals let alone decals for the ordnance. This is totally Low Vis :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard I hope you don't mind if you do I will remove it but I have put a pic of that box with its lights on your thread an its green at the top an then amber an then red but no blue i hope this helps you
chrisIMG_4712.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris, its alright I know its amber and thanks for the indication. Not exactly like traffic lights as the traffic light combination starts with the red on top. I checked refferences and they don't seem to have a red cylinder...they're all white even on the Super Hornets.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard yes the cylinder should be white but I felt in a devil may care mode an thought a little colour may bring a little more detail to the landin gear :thumb2: an if I rember rightly lookin through a hornet book there was a red cylinder fitted maybe a replayment part
chris

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Christopher, there is always something unexpected.

Ok ...a washing we will go ...a washing we will go...hey ho the..... First pass of dark wash and clean up before a coat of Future and white highlights...

F38.jpg

I will need browns for oil stains around the hydraulics then to add the wheels.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, appreciate the comment. The real stuff had brake and hydraulic wires but I just couldn't bring myself to do the extensive work. I thought they looked busy enough with the weathering.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I tackled the wheels which come with separate hubs from the rubber tyres. These would appeal to those who have a hard time painting the tyres round the hub. It could have been molded more crisp.

F39.jpg

One hub was better than the other and apparently shows when the tyres are glued on.

F40.jpg

Those white discs by the side of the landing gear are peeled white glue masks for the headlights and carrier approach altitude indicator lights.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's alive ...yes there is progress. Masked every nook and corner and did 2 passes of primer Mr Surfacer 1200 diluted like crazy. All I needed was a thin coat to help paint grip later.

F41.jpg

I made sure the step at the canopy joint was taken care of.

F42.jpg

I left off the two hex fins to ease decal application and will be glued later.

F43.jpg

The thin application of primer can be seen on the airbrake cover with the main body. With the pre-shading this will not show too prominently.

F44.jpg

Tissue masking used to good effect for the wheel wells...

F45.jpg

The light cream color can still be seen under the primer thin coat surrounding the formation light stations. Decals weren't provided for this so painting and masking was necessary. The navigational light pod on the fin is masked with white glue and you can just make out the red filled bulb that has been painted and silver coated from behind.

F46.jpg

My only regret is not weathering the exhaust first before masking. That's all for now. Pre-shading next.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
The navigational light pod on the fin is masked with white glue
Is the white glue used just like a masking fluid?
Certainly looking good and that idea of stuffing tissue into the wheel wells as masking is a tip to remember.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard lookin very good as you progress an yes I wondered how the build was goin an I see that you hav'nt yet fitted that tiny fin on the wing leading edge near the canopy an I always wondered what its purpose is as its not on the super hornet ? but lovley build I wish I had a airbrush but I think Ive left it to late in life to warrant the exspence of buyin one as I think I will only build my two kits after my tiger build an that's it by then i'll be nr 80 so two rickecty to do anymore ( creak creak ) lol:disappointed2:
chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's always nice to get to the primer stage - all looking very good.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

Jim, yes the white glue acts just like the masking fluid and the tissue is tucked in and then water is dropped and futher tucked in with the help of a tweaser and let harden. Did the same thing for the Uhu 219.

Christopher, the hex fin was used to deviate the airflow that was causing a problem for the tail fins that's what I gathered. The unusual tiger stripe decals runs over this spot so it's much easier to fit it after the decal is on. Meanwhile it's primed with the main canopy...

F47.jpg

Colin, yes indeed...there is a tendancy for me to leave it after priming as I like the look of the grey and clean finish it achieves. Most of my shelf queens are mothballed in primer. :smiling6: But once the pre-shade is on then it'll stand more chance of being finished.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on fantastically Richard , excellent detail additions . It’s a good looking aircraft and I always love this stage of a build , when it starts to look whole and you get a real feel of how the actual aircraft looks . This build is making me eager to start one of my hornets ( 1x f18c ,1x fa18f both Revell 1/48 ) I’ve got it the stash ! Cheers tony