SABRE 1/35 6 Axle 80t German Railway Schwerer Plattformwagen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
As promised...a step by step log of this one as there seemed a bit of interest when it arrived. Will be starting it off as I finish the final details of the Brecourt build.

Forgive the crushed box..
IMG_2347.JPG
Instructions look great.
IMG_2352.JPGIMG_2350.JPGIMG_2351.JPG

Parts also look quality. Very little flash, and lots of nice crisp detail. Note the sleepers are all unique.IMG_2349.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
Sprues even fit together. Not sure why that will be useful, but it's cool!
IMG_2355.JPG
Never made anything like this before, so not a clue what I am doing, but so far, so good.
IMG_2356.JPG

D

Deleted member 4539

A good amount of work to go into this Jack.It soul look grear when finished :smiling3:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
Not heard of Sabre but it looks a quality kit. Railway stuff is not commonly modelled so this will be interesting.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Jack,

The kit looks really sweet and the idea for the stacked sprues is great. Keeps the parts from sliding around in the box and pieces from getting broken. Looks like you have your work cut out for you Sir!!! Have fun....

I did find the double pack of the OMMR flat cars for €30 + postage from Shanghai, but I really need OMMS flatcars as they are different. Only Ironside/Azimut makes the OMMS and are rare to find + expensive when you do. Thanks again for the link.

Prost
Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
It's a big old unit!! Turning out to be a great model. Certainly not a shake and bake, but not frustrating in any way.IMG_2364.JPG
Finding there are quite a lot of injection point marks, but all seem to be out of sight so not too much extra workIMG_2360.JPG
More nice touches in the instructions:
IMG_2361.JPG
Jack,
that certainly looks pretty detailed - what plans have you for the load?
Dave

Not sure as to the load yet Dave, these are the other bit's and pieces I have for this scene (will worry about the size of it later), but not decided on what to sit on this one. Will need to be suitably huge, and I'm thinking something slightly unusual!
IMG_2365.JPG
A good amount of work to go into this Jack.It shoudl look great when finished :smiling3:.
Thanks Ralph, will keep me out of trouble for a while!!

Hi Jack
Not heard of Sabre but it looks a quality kit. Railway stuff is not commonly modelled so this will be interesting.
Jim
Nor I Jim. Will be trying to study a lot of pictures to get the weathering etc right. Dad is into (working) train modelling, so will be after some advice!

Morn Jack,

The kit looks really sweet and the idea for the stacked sprues is great. Keeps the parts from sliding around in the box and pieces from getting broken. Looks like you have your work cut out for you Sir!!! Have fun....

I did find the double pack of the OMMR flat cars for €30 + postage from Shanghai, but I really need OMMS flatcars as they are different. Only Ironside/Azimut makes the OMMS and are rare to find + expensive when you do. Thanks again for the link.

Prost
Allen
Will certainly be occupied for some time!

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options, especially at this scale. I guess train enthusiasts are't into this sort of modelling/this scale, and modelling enthusiasts aren't into trains very often?

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Good to have you in Paul and Steve. Arrived just in time for the fun...

Decided to ignore the order the instructions would have you go, and with the flatbed structure complete, work on the (whatever the technical train term is for) wheels. Seemed sensible to leave all the fiddly bits that I will likely knock off until the end.

Lots of fiddle around the brakes (?) with 9 parts for all the items labeled as '19', and then aligning it all up was a wrestle. As you can see nine parts to try and align to get the two outer bits joined. The points indicated by the blue arrows are really quite small, when you consider that is all that is holding the sides together. While there are parts to re-enforce it later...it's tricky to keep everything together whilst lining up the other eight points.
IMG_2372.jpg
One down, I think...with that great knowledge that exactly the same is still to come. Might be my patience threshold done for this evening!
IMG_2373.jpg

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Glutton or not, you are loving every minute of it Jack.....Come on, fess up!!!

Prost
Allen

First Name
Kevin
Jack this kit build is taking shape nicely, plenty of detailed parts.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Permission to climb aboard Jack .
Certainly looks a well made kit, and with some thought .Agree with Jim never heard of the make before. You've made good progress with those hobbies, satisfying when a plan comes together !

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Glutton or not, you are loving every minute of it Jack.....Come on, fess up!!!

Prost
Allen
It's a pretty satisfying build Allen, and dare I say, straightforward, in an enjoyable way

Jack this kit build is taking shape nicely, plenty of detailed parts.
Thanks Kevin, yes details are great!

Permission to climb aboard Jack .
Certainly looks a well made kit, and with some thought .Agree with Jim never heard of the make before. You've made good progress with those hobbies, satisfying when a plan comes together !
Welcome on John...although not sure about climbing. It's getting quite fiddly!!

I have had a good day at the bench today, and the last few steps are in sight. My intention was to leave the wheel units off, and paint separately. However it's getting increasingly difficult to hold/position the truck, and add the small details on, so decided to fix them together before I go any further. Have found a little confusion where optional steps or parts are included, but you get there in the end.
IMG_2378.JPG

The couplings were quite tricky. Easy if you want a standalone piece, you just splash the TET in once you have the right position, but they need to remain moveable if incorporating with other trucks. The contact points for glueing therefore very small. Also don't seem very sturdy where connected to the main framework, so I drilled through and inserted some wire to help there. The hose is a flexible pipe supplied with the kit, there is also a solid plastic piece if you intend on an uncoupled model.
IMG_2379.JPG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
A top job so far Sir!!! Really, really looking good...

Uhhh Jack, I didn't know the Germans used these to transport giant hockey pucks though...

I'll get me coat..................

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jack, don't worry about my friend above , he's not been quite with us since he's started building wingy things !

Looking good , glad your building it and not me :smiling3: