Scotties 25pdr.SP Bishop.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What's brass sheet like to work with Paul ? Pewter is great but so pliable and soon goes out of flat and can as you know bend easily.
Mud guard looks good and firm looking , that why I ask.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What's brass sheet like to work with Paul ? Pewter is great but so pliable and soon goes out of flat and can as you know bend easily.
Half hard sheet is OK, takes bends well, and cuts and files easily. Also solder quite well, though not as well as nickel silver sheet. Not as soft as pewter though. Sheet that is annealed is too soft to work, even taking fingerprints if you are heavy handed. Brass pin wire is excellent for hand rails etc. nothing comes close.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Half hard sheet is OK, takes bends well, and cuts and files easily. Also solder quite well, though not as well as nickel silver sheet. Not as soft as pewter though. Sheet that is annealed is too soft to work, even taking fingerprints if you are heavy handed. Brass pin wire is excellent for hand rails etc. nothing comes close.
Cheers Tim .:thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John
Tim has just about summed it up. Pewter is good for flexible work straps etc and forming into complex shapes due to its softness. Brass sheet is better for angled shapes. It is harder to work, but annealing it helps especially on small items.
The mud guards were measured out then cut to allow the angles to be formed. Then soldered low temp paste is my go to. HTH

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
John
Tim has just about summed it up. Pewter is good for flexible work straps etc and forming into complex shapes due to its softness. Brass sheet is better for angled shapes. It is harder to work, but annealing it helps especially on small items.
The mud guards were measured out then cut to allow the angles to be formed. Then soldered low temp paste is my go to. HTH
Just for completeness……..Nickel silver sheet and strip has some advantages and some disadvantages over brass Scottie. It is just as east to cut and shape, though it slightly more springy in nature, which makes it structurally a bit stronger. It is much easier to solder, both taking solder better and nor spreading heat so rapidly, It takes paint better, making it more useful for anything likely to be handled. On the other hand, it is slightly harder to find, and is more expensive.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work on those mud guards!! What thickness of brass is that? And what thickness of pewter do you typically use? I noticed that you often use it as your go to metal.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just for completeness……..Nickel silver sheet and strip has some advantages and some disadvantages over brass Scottie. It is just as east to cut and shape, though it slightly more springy in nature, which makes it structurally a bit stronger. It is much easier to solder, both taking solder better and nor spreading heat so rapidly, It takes paint better, making it more useful for anything likely to be handled. On the other hand, it is slightly harder to find, and is more expensive.
I will look it up next time I do an order for sheet.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely work on those mud guards!! What thickness of brass is that? And what thickness of pewter do you typically use? I noticed that you often use it as your go to metal.
Hi Joe,

I have two main sheets of brass, 0.03mm/0.003" and 0.08mm/0.004". The pewter I have is 0.17mm/0.006" I do have some thicker stuff both in brass and ally but don't use a lot of that.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A little bit more done. The track tensioning tool was out of the spares box as it was slightly better detailed than the kit one. To this I added a strap and buckle and a stay for the handle.

DSCF3797.JPG

The shovel had the blade profiled from the back to give it a thinner look this was then added along with the crowbar.

DSCF3796.JPG

Finally for today the storage bin was added the hinge was removed and replaced with a scratched offering.

DSCF3794.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellently detailed additions Scottie. Interesting info about the pros and cons of different sheet metals. That solder paste you mentioned is good stuff.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Joe,

I have two main sheets of brass, 0.03mm/0.003" and 0.08mm/0.004". The pewter I have is 0.17mm/0.006" I do have some thicker stuff both in brass and ally but don't use a lot of that.
Wow, that’s very thin brass. Most of my brass stuff in the railway days was made from ten or twenty thou. Five thou was used for fine detail, but I didn’t even know it came in three and four thou thicknesses.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s because Paul is using very short inches, whose exact length varies per sheet ;) 0.03 mm is 0.0012 inches, 0.08 mm is 0.0031 inches, and 0.17 mm is 0.0067 inches — so, I guess, 10, 30 and 65 thou?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You never fail to amaze me with your neat, clean work….a joy to see :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s because Paul is using very short inches, whose exact length varies per sheet ;) 0.03 mm is 0.0012 inches, 0.08 mm is 0.0031 inches, and 0.17 mm is 0.0067 inches — so, I guess, 10, 30 and 65 thou?
Well Jakko, as I remember it, 40 thou is equivalent to about 1mm. That means ten thou is about 0.25 mm. ;) You’ve just shown 0.03 mm to be 1.2 thou (which it is pretty much)…….and then claimed it’s 10 thou (which it isn’t) ….. and I’ve been drinking Bordeaux all evening :tongue-out3:.

• Haha

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I did was type “0,03 mm” (, instead of . because I’m not an English-speaker :tongue-out:) and the rest into my iPad’s search function, and got those results. My Mac says the same (as you would expect, of course) when I do that just now:

0,03 mm = 0,0012 inch.png

So where is the mistake, then? Maybe the thicknesses Paul quoted are off in millimetres too?

The inches-to-thou conversion mistake is mine, of course. Just measure in millimetres, all problems like this go away :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The sheet which I suppose I should refer to as foil was measured with a digital vernier in mm then the inch mode was selected to give the imperial size.

But I think that this should now be put to bed.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What I did was type “0,03 mm” (, instead of . because I’m not an English-speaker :tongue-out:)

:smiling3:
Not just English speakers Jakko - the international IEC/ISO standard for the decimal separator is the comma.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No mistake in the maths Jakko……and I never even noticed the comma…..just that your last sentence says they are 10, 30, and 65 thou…..right after you’ve shown them to be 1.2, 3.1 and 6.7 thou……..