Scotties L1500 Kfz. 70

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
A good neat looking start. The chassis and running gear is a good section to get under your belt - fragile and complex.
Jim
Jim, Thanks mate it does give for very good detail but also for very fragile glue points.
I think your probably right about Miniart kits, definitely not meant for a quick weekend build! :flushed:
A great start so far :thumb2:
Si, Your right there its a case of assembling a little then let it dry then add a little bit more.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The chassis is pretty much done now and all for brake drums sit on the floor which is a relief.

DSCF2749.JPG

Unless I have missed something the engine is supported only at the front which makes for a very weak fitting.

DSCF2750.JPG

The steering linkage is 4 pieces, the instructions would have you glue them all together prior to fitting to the chassis. This would have been a nightmare, so I stuck on each piece in turn when the glue had set up enough to hold the part but still give me some wriggle room to match the parts up.

DSCF2751.JPG

You can see from the picture the small engine mounting block.

cheers
Scottie

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks a bit of a toughie this kit Scottie. Keep up the great work

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Would've expected a set of mounts at the back of the engine somewhere :thinking:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Maybe the next bit gets added somewhere far later in the instructions? I’ve only built one MiniArt vehicle kit, but that suffers from this at times: things being added to an area that it last had you work on many steps back.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I know nothing about kfz 70's but many engine/transmission systems of the 30's had engine mounts at the front & a beefy gearbox mount, relying on a decent connection between the two components.

Flathead V8 Fords went on for years with only front mounts.

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I know nothing about kfz 70's but many engine/transmission systems of the 30's had engine mounts at the front & a beefy gearbox mount, relying on a decent connection between the two components.

My TR4A is like that, has two mounts at the front of the engine and one under the back of the gearbox.
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Maybe the next bit gets added somewhere far later in the instructions? I’ve only built one MiniArt vehicle kit, but that suffers from this at times: things being added to an area that it last had you work on many steps back.
I have had a quick look but nothing is obvious.

Dan,
Unless I have missed something or miss built it there doesn't appear to be a support for the gearbox either.
If posting pics on other peoples threads is verbotten, I apologize in a advance...

View attachment 417913

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm up set you've eaten all the cake and once again you've managed the chassis with out a problem, oh where do I go wrong.:crying:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Certainly a testing kit to build. As Jakko said there must be a rear engine support somewhere down the line.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Flying together now Scottie :cool:
Si, not sure about flying but going together.
I'm up set you've eaten all the cake and once again you've managed the chassis with out a problem, oh where do I go wrong.:crying:
John, you mean there was cake! This went together more by luck then judgement.
Hi Scottie
Certainly a testing kit to build. As Jakko said there must be a rear engine support somewhere down the line.
Jim
Jim, we will see mate :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking at the photos, is that a 'lug' at the back of the engine (on the bell housing) which could be a location point, is there one on the other side? Could be the rear support.
Still, it's going together well.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Missed this one until now Scottie, looking very neat. I would have thought the engine would have a pair of mounts, one on each side, then a mount or two for the gearbox, maybe missed off on the model?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Great detailing - gets better and better.
Jim