Sherman II mid October 1942

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That is a real shame but I suppose something learned for next time. Was it different primer? Glad you're sorting it. Those packs do look excellent.
Jim
Hello Jim,
Not a problem, all sorted now - further update below. I can only work it out to one of two things and they both contained thinner - either the primer, which i always use and have had no problems with. Or the Humbrol paint and of course white spirit for thinning, but again never had a problem in the past when used.
Thanks for the compliment on the packs,
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So plan B went as described except that when I came to glue link number 3,4,5, etc I came across a problem.....
20210804_111326.jpg
When the link on the upper right now looking like a stranded fish is joined to the link at the lower left - how do you glue the joint without glueing the whole lot together, tried plastic bag, paper, tin foil - glue still found its way around the edges.....
Now for plan C, and it was so easy the light upstairs eventually went on.....
20210804_111347.jpg
Now can you spot the difference????? Of course brass rod:rolling:. Having a walk through the plastic strip and rod drawers I came across a packet of 12 thou brass rod/wire, started out as normal with adding the bolt heads, tried a couple of links by first drilling out the holes where the plastic rod would normally fit....
20210804_112732.jpg
I had no worries about finding a centre as it is already there!!! Just drill through - about four turns, and then there was the hole ready for the pre-cut brass rod/wire
So it was now time to cut out 20 track links, glue them together without the plastic rod, insert a brass rod, add two end connectors and secure with a dab of c/a and move onto the next and the next, job sorted, just like Fruils..... 20 assembled and 20 ready for tomorrow, lot of time used up today working everything out so should be faster tomorrow.
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Are you sure it wouldn’t have been simpler to buy a different brand of track? :smiling3:

• Love
Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Are you sure it wouldn’t have been simpler to buy a different brand of track? :smiling3:
Sheepish reply.....
Actually I looked at the Fruil set and ordered one :sad-face:, but still kept plugging away at the problem. I will let you know how the sets compare.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Go on, push through Mike. You’ve nearly cracked it now….great stuff.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Go on, push through Mike. You’ve nearly cracked it now….great stuff.
Tim,
Still working away, but at a slower pace, now into a pattern of assembly so should be done with the tracks and then finish off the base with some tidying up.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You could have always asked me Mike !;)

Out of interest I've just done a build using that new camo .
Pretty good don't you think so .
Photo below.

See you don't see a thing, this is the way fwd. Forget 3 part camo.

Hippty Hop

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You could have always asked me Mike !;)

Out of interest I've just done a build using that new camo .
Pretty good don't you think so .
Photo below.

See you don't see a thing, this is the way fwd. Forget 3 part camo.

Hippty Hop
That was my answer as well.... How can you model what you cannot see, but apparently you can 'see' it......

• Love

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sheepish reply.....
Actually I looked at the Fruil set and ordered one :sad-face:, but still kept plugging away at the problem. I will let you know how the sets compare.
I was wondering too with all that work that looked similar to the Fruil assembly. :thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was wondering too with all that work that looked similar to the Fruil assembly. :thinking:

Cheers,
Richard
To be fair to Friul Richard I've used them on many occasions and never had a problem. Now if I with one good eye and the bad one covered can do them any one can.
As to those evil looking thing Mike had Id have to give up.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Quick update,
Still on with building the tracks, have one set finished but ran out of brass wire so had to scout around for more. Thanks to Eileens Emporium for having some in stock and a fast return, progress will now move on.
Sorry John, but would have bought from the shop had you held any.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Tracks are complete and on the model
20210816_154109.jpg
Before, during weathering.
20210816_174109.jpg
And on the base...
20210816_174156.jpg
20210816_174236.jpg
Still some more work to do with stowage and 'bedding in' onto the base, then off to the complete section.
Cheers
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A very realistic build Mike. Very impressed :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Cheers Steve
Just about to go and feed from the trough and caught your comment.
Many thanks, it looks better in real life, will try some shots outside on a dull day.
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Bet you're happy now the tracks are done and on :tongue-out3: Really looking good.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's Hippity Hop alright .

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
Bet you're happy now the tracks are done and on :tongue-out3: Really looking good.
Jim
True, they were starting to drag a bit, but the fobia about Sherman tracks has bee put to bed ;)