Simon T Memorial GB: Nov-Feb 2020. Chat thread

Greg_147

SMF Supporter
First Name
Greg
Hello all,

I don't post very much on the forum, but I have watched many builds take place, included those of Simon; he's done a number of 1/72 models that I've tried to pick tips up from, and I'd like to add something to the memorial build if that's okay.

Earlier in the year I was looking to build a Universal Carrier in 1/35 to go with some figures I made ages ago. A search of the forum showed Simon had posted some very detailed reference photos that were exactly what I was looking for. I bookmarked the page, but never got around to buying the carrier. This seems like a good time to get the kit and use those photos that Simon kindly took and uploaded for all to use.

Thanks,
Greg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Guys I’m not Happy with my choice for Simon’s GB. I think it’s too conventional when I see most everyone having some “Scrach” in there build so I’m changing it up. I will have to dig deep in the Drennen Vintage vault to get my subjects. I will post later this evening or tomorrow.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
My kit arrived today, quite nicely cast, very few bubbles.
But............
It's a recast of a MAIM kit........
I have discovered this since ordering it.
I suspect this fact wouldn't bother Simon.
But the site owner, being a model shop, might be bothered.
And now I'm not sure whether to continue with the mech or fall back to the original armour kit I pulled out of the stash.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ok this is my offering for the Simon GB. I bought this off of Sleezbay some years ago partially built. I will Scratch build a bed for the Flak 30 by removing the back portion where the troops go. Now this feels like it’s going to be fun.
B36E1146-60DC-4BA7-BE91-EF88C48DAE2E.jpeg4456CC6D-3098-4654-864E-712634DB6F89.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Right up Mr. T's alley Lee. I seem to recall him working on a SdKfz 7 at one point. I'll see if I can find his build thread.......don't remember which version he was building. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A truly wonderful response from so many. Shows what high regard people had for Simon. Thanks to Lee for overseeing the GB.

This GB could well end up with 40+ modellers taking part and therein lies a bit of an issue. Starting on November 1st this forum is going to see so many memorial model threads that unless I spend hours each day on the forum I am not going to be able to look at and comment on all the builds. I will do my best to keep on top of what everyone is doing but please don't think I don't care if I click 'Like' rather than post a comment. It is simply a matter of time. I doubt I'm alone with this concern.

I'm still waiting for my kit to come from the Ukraine but the day it arrives it will be 'bench cleared and box open' :tongue-out3: I am sure Simon would want us all to have a really fun time.

Jim
Yes Jim, it will be quite an effort to check out 40 builds on the go in one session but looking forward to it. As said kindly don't think I don't care if I just click "Like". I'll post a comment when I can...most probably when you're asleep as I am 7 hours ahead of you. Need to start getting my thread ready in 5 hours time...that is if I go to bed late.

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Guys. Time is running down to start and I what to Thank everyone who join in and Thank you for letting me be the host of this important GB. I consider all of you here a great group of friends. Thanks

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Guys. Time is running down to start and I what to Thank everyone who join in and Thank you for letting me be the host of this important GB. I consider all of you here a great group of friends. Thanks
As you probably already know Lee...... I jumped the gun somewhat and started early:anguished:!!
To make amends though,i haven`t touched it again since i found out!!
I think you`ve done a sterling job already,keeping this thread going,and i`m sure it`ll turn out to be a resounding success mate.
....... and it`s a big "THANK YOU" to you,for taking on the job.:cool:
.........As for us all being "Friends"........well said that man.
Cheers,
Andy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thank you for letting me be the host of this important GB. I consider all of you here a great group of friends. Thanks

No needs for thanks Lee. You stepped up to the breach dear friend and have done a terrific job of marshalling the troops. Good luck with your own endeavour.