Simon T Memorial GB: Nov-Feb 2020. Chat thread

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Here's my entry, an old Italeri Panzer IV Ausf G, a poor kit, awful green plastic, horrible rubber band tracks, god knows what I was thinking when I bought it, but £10 price sticker on the box probably explains it.
DSC02161 (1024x680).jpg
DSC02162 (1024x680).jpg
A few extras, etch, barrel & mantlet as well as some Dragon indy link tracks may improve it a bit.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Love those old 1/35 Italeri 90s kits. I have a few myself.

Reactions: JR

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Oh Lordy- I remember building that old Italeri Pz IV when I was a kid! I recall mounting the Tamiya Panzer Grenadiers set on there too...
Italeri vinyl tracks are pretty much the worst things ever, except perhaps Skif ones.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Those tracks are so stiff I would recommend cutting them into proper lengths like those link an length tracks and attach them with super glue or epoxy whichever holds them down. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's my entry of what Simon would have built if he had received it before he passed. The Academy Hellcat re-boxed by Airfix.

It's been mothballed for years together with the AFV Hellcat and held together with white glue for easy access to the interior for painting. I don't know which was more accurate but major mods were done to the structure of the Academy kit mainly the side sponsons, rear curvature and nothing else. I will be adding the waterproofing canvas on the mantlet and stowage prior to painting and weathering.

H1.jpgH2.jpgH3.jpgH4.jpgH5.jpg

Until 1st November then.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What a great entry! I've often wondered why no one produced one of these in 1/87 scale......it was a pretty prominent vehicle in the US arsenal. Look forward to seeing how you make out with this Richard.
Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
a poor kit
I disagree :smiling3: Sure, it’s not up to today’s standards but it’s a far better kit than its contemporary Tamiya and Monogram (1:32) counterparts.

horrible rubber band tracks
Mostly in that they’re likely very stiff, like all Italeri tracks of the time. At least they had detail on both sides :smiling3:

The Academy Hellcat re-boxed by Airfix.
(…)
It's been mothballed for years together with the AFV Hellcat and held together with white glue for easy access to the interior for painting. I don't know which was more accurate
The AFV Club one, as far as I can tell, though I’m not too sure about the shape of the gun barrel it provides (which is an interesting part in itself, in that AFV Club expanded a tube rather than turn a barrel on a lathe). I haven’t built the Academy kit, but I do remember an article in Military Modelling when it was new, showing how to improve it.

Edit: It’s getting ever more likely that I will actually join this, in which case I’ll be with the Bronco Ram Mk. II:

9a86a242-594d-4a30-8d7f-50eab1baf366-jpeg.373187

(picture from when I posted it last February, soon after buying it, which is why all the other stuff is there too)

The reason is that this kit turns out to be in dire need of SimonT-style work to it — see:—
(I wish they’d finished the build thread there, though …)

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Richard, great one to spin your magic on.