Simon T Memorial GB: Nov-Feb 2020. Chat thread

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've had a change of heart on this. As you may recall I was going to do one of my new Comets because they have more PE than I've ever used before. (link HERE).

However, I've decided to stretch myself much further in memory of Simon with first ever vignette, using my first ever 1/35 AFV and my first ever 1/35 figures, using this kit. :cold-sweat::fearful::anguished:

I bought it about 18 months ago after it was recommended as a nice easy intro to 1/35 but only realised 6 months ago it came with figures - shows how much attention I was paying at the time! :confused:

As a nod to Simon I'll be using a technique Simon said he would have a go at himself, using expanding foam for hills (link HERE). I don't know if he ever did but it was one of my threads Simon was kind enough to comment on.

The current working title is 'The Lookout'.......

50476581823_0b12d8fb67_b.jpg

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hi all

So I've had a change of heart on this. As you may recall I was going to do one of my new Comets because they have more PE than I've ever used before. (link HERE).

However, I've decided to stretch myself much further in memory of Simon with first ever vignette, using my first ever 1/35 AFV and my first ever 1/35 figures, using this kit. :cold-sweat::fearful::anguished:

I bought it about 18 months ago after it was recommended as a nice easy intro to 1/35 but only realised 6 months ago it came with figures - shows how much attention I was paying at the time! :confused:

As a nod to Simon I'll be using a technique Simon said he would have a go at himself, using expanding foam for hills (link HERE). I don't know if he ever did but it was one of my threads Simon was kind enough to comment on.

View attachment 400512
This kit was my first foray into AM stuff, a load of PE, AM tracks, replacement barrels and the drive sprocket from another kit.
Lots to improve so well suited to the MrT treatment, though the figures are overscale and quite poor.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This kit was my first foray into AM stuff, a load of PE, AM tracks, replacement barrels and the drive sprocket from another kit.
Lots to improve so well suited to the MrT treatment, though the figures are overscale and quite poor.
Karl

Thanks. What tracks did you use?

I know next to nothing about the Pz II. I did have a look for some but wasn't sure which to use. Plus most metal tracks cost many times the actual price of the kit......

Thanks.

Andrew

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I think I opted for Hobbyboss ones, got then for about £5, but they don't fit the kit sprockets so I had to order the sprues from the later 2008 Tamiya Pz.II to get corrected ones which was better for my sanity than scratching new ones.
Still was far cheaper than a set Friuls, which iirc come with a sprocket.
I only bought the kit because I saw Eduard etch set and got curious about PE........
Edit: Tracks may have been Modelkasten, and I see Bronco also do a plastic set.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I think I opted for Hobbyboss ones, got then for about £5, but they don't fit the kit sprockets so I had to order the sprues from the later 2008 Tamiya Pz.II to get corrected ones which was better for my sanity than scratching new ones.
Still was far cheaper than a set Friuls, which iirc come with a sprocket.
I only bought the kit because I saw Eduard etch set and got curious about PE........
Edit: Tracks may have been Modelkasten, and I see Bronco also do a plastic set.
Thanks Karl. Will have a look but can't afford to splash out too much given my recent flurry of purchases....

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know next to nothing about the Pz II. I did have a look for some but wasn't sure which to use. Plus most metal tracks cost many times the actual price of the kit......
TBH, this is the worst Panzer II kit available, because it’s about 50 years old, designed for motorisation and based on a captured vehicle in North Africa that had an extra stowage bin on the left rear mudguard (if you look at it, you’ll see it’s the same as the one on the right side next to the superstructure; on standard Pz.Kpfw. IIs, it was only in that position).

IOW: an ideal kit to give the SimonT treatment :smiling3:

A simpler option would be to cut the teeth off where they interfere with the track links, then glue them back in through the holes in the links. Almost impossible to see that they’re not in the correct positions and a lot less work :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
TBH, this is the worst Panzer II kit available, because it’s about 50 years old, designed for motorisation and based on a captured vehicle in North Africa that had an extra stowage bin on the left rear mudguard (if you look at it, you’ll see it’s the same as the one on the right side next to the superstructure; on standard Pz.Kpfw. IIs, it was only in that position).

IOW: an ideal kit to give the SimonT treatment :smiling3:

A simpler option would be to cut the teeth off where they interfere with the track links, then glue them back in through the holes in the links. Almost impossible to see that they’re not in the correct positions and a lot less work :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko. Points noted....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi all

View attachment 400512
Built about 4 of these, poor kit but ideal for trying things out on, cheap to buy!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi all

View attachment 400512
Anyone remember Simon building this one on the old MM? I think he brought it here with him.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Thanks Karl. Will have a look but can't afford to splash out too much given my recent flurry of purchases....
Actually turns out it was the Bronco tracks and I got a metal cast drive sprocket from somewhere and ordered the sprue from the newer kit for the return roller.......
(Found a WIP picture album.)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Actually turns out it was the Bronco tracks and I got a metal cast drive sprocket from somewhere and ordered the sprue from the newer kit for the return roller.......
(Found a WIP picture album.)
Thanks Karl