SimonT - 1/35th Tamiya T62 (well worn)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jakko - cheers

John - definitely

Scottie - :thumb2: have a perfectly good Trumpeter kit but that is really just an assembly exercise, this is more fun

t62-020_2020-3-25.jpg
stuck the hull on another of my build/painting stands in readiness for the upcoming work

t62-019_2020-3-25.jpg
turret reshaping coming on

magic sculpt has been sanded back to get basic shape and front end of turret sanded back to shorten it

I suspect that since they had to lengthen the hull to fit the batteries and motors in they then had to stretch the turret to keep it looking balanced and in proportion

anyway, now blathered in Squadron green (proper old stuff - my last tube) for (hopefully) final shape tuning

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon .
This working from home is definitely good for extreme scratchery.:nerd:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Simon,

You are so definitely in your element with these old Tammy kits. Making all the corrections and the fine scratchery too!!! One thing though, I have never seen a turret cake with green icing before............Lime flavored???

Bleib Gesund
Allen

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Just knew it, leave him alone and he goes all scratchy.
Looking very much the full build Simon, well done.
Mike.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - pity they are making us work though. I could have made a lot more progress if it wasn't for that

Allen - hang on a mo.........bleurghhh, definitely not lime

Mike - thanks

Jim - thanks, enjoying this

t62-021_2020-3-26.jpg
getting nearer to the right shape......

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your wrist must be pretty knackered after all that sanding LOL

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Morn Simon,

You are so definitely in your element with these old Tammy kits. Making all the corrections and the fine scratchery too!!! One thing though, I have never seen a turret cake with green icing before............Lime flavored???

Bleib Gesund
Allen
I bet you spend all night licking the tv screen....

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
t62-022_2020-3-28.jpg
back end tidied up

rear panel cut down to fit in the revise aperture and blended in with filler

t62-023_2020-3-28.jpg
t62-024_2020-3-28.jpg
turret has gradually been sanded, filled, sanded numerous times to refine the shape

mantlet cover sculpted in Duro around a piece of tubing that creates a socket to fit the barrel in

the whole thing was then stippled with vj red oxide paste to roughen up the smooth finish that resulted from all the sanding - once dry it will need a light rub with scotch pad to tone down the pointy bits

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
That cast texture is fantastic as is the mantlet cover.
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Glad the sanding/filling/sanding/filling etc etc has worked so well. Cast texture is nice.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Amazing work Simon
Really interesting.Makes me want to revisit some classic kits.I want to do some sometime to match Verlindens books to rekindle nostalgic memories of my formative years.
Watching with interest.
Richard.

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nicely done Simon. With that just finished factory look perhaps this one should be finished as an almost finished factory roll out dio.

John

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steven - thank you

Mike - thanks. Found the red goo is not too resilient - bits wore off with handling. It has had a second layer - this time I rolled it on with a cotton bud, using it like a paint roller

Jim - lot of work, but fun to do

Richard - :thumb2: well, there are plenty to go at. All the early panzer iv based kits (D, brummbar, stug iv, wirblewind, etc) are all 2mm too wide, road wheels too narrow, bogie positions wrong, return roller positions wrong plus a whole host of other things specific to each vehicle. The Panther A is probably one of the worst - hull width and length wrong, turret way too big (had to chop that diagonally so that when I removed a large chunk it kept some of the detail). The SdKfz7 - lots wrong with that one too. All the T34 based kits were also motorised and need a lot of work. Good thing is they are dead cheap so you can have fun with them and if it all goes pear shaped you haven't wasted a fortune

John - nice idea, but I want to do a worn out looking one, sorry

t62-025_2020-3-29.jpg
spent yesterday working on this one - being confined to house has benefits with regards to modelling

Needs a little tidying to remove some of the red goo overspill but essentially done

Have left off small bolt heads on purpose as they often don't cast well - they will be added to the resin casting

t62-027_2020-3-29.jpg
complete new periscope on the right side - this is the second version as the first ended up being too small

plastic tube, aluminium tube inside that form the base. The main body is aluminium tube with a notch cut out the front, plastic card lens and top

the little bulge down and right on the turret is for the wire to the searchlight

t62-029_2020-3-29.jpg
new rear hatch as the kit version is wrong shape

kit ventilator added next to it - given a bit of texture using liquid cement

t62-030_2020-3-29.jpg
new and updated vision devices on the left. Used the top for the bottom one from the Eduard set

the mantlet cover plate was cut from the Eduard set as well

t62-031_2020-3-29.jpg
copper sheet for the track guards

t62-032_2020-3-29.jpg
glacis plate sanded to get the sinkage out and filled around the edges - some damage occurred when I sawed off the track guards

t62-026_2020-3-29.jpg
front hull joint sanded back - needs a polish

t62-028_2020-3-29.jpg
same at the rear joins

after clean up of the red goo the turret should be ready for casting so will need mounting on a 'sprue' and boxing up ready for rubber pouring

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All looking great progress.Be interesting to see how the casting goes.Maybe you could cast some for the rabble. to use.
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Rather a lot of very good progress. This crisis is certainly giving us all time at home but I find it hard to settle.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
If it comes out ok Richard that may be possible if anyone wants one

It is a bit odd Jim - I’m still working during week, just from home, so kind of still the same But my commute is now just walking from one room to the other so I have a lot more modelling time

UPDATE

just been having what should have been a last check over but have realised that there has been some creep when I did the mantlet and it is too wide and as a result, lopsided

poo

a bit of rectification required - no point casting it yet

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looks like your thoroughly enjoying yourself Mr T :smiling4:

Very interested in the copper foil, what gauge did you get?