SimonT - Hobbyboss 1/35 Russian T-18 Light Tank

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Here are some photos and a video at the bottom for you Mr T and of course JR

drawing_T18.jpgeastern_express35003_5.jpgeastern_express35003_6.jpgeastern_express35003_7.jpgimages.jpgms1_jhgjh1.jpgpervye30.jpgT_18_1.jpgT_18_2.jpgt18.jpgt18_21.jpgt18_22.jpgT18_SPH_drawing.gifT18M.pngtanks T18.jpgvehicle_t18_2.jpgvehicle_t18_3.jpg

Here

I noticed on my You Tube there is another video top right of the list, of a guy building a full version named UFO. May be of help

here

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Steve - I already posted the videos on Johns build

The photos show the problem I found - when you really look at them they are nearly all different. Wheel configurations and styles, hull shapes, track guards, return rollers in front of suspension damper and behind

I am going to stick with the picture I found as that is nearest to the kit configuration

After studying the picture I think the track guard is thin sheet with slightly turned down edges rather than a proper return flange type edge so will modify mine to reflect this

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Sorry Mr T. Thought it was a different video. Look forward to seeing your updated track guards

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Stupid question time. What is that sticking out of the back?

1568894343595.png

When I was young I had a plastic toy frog with a spring just like that on it's bum. You could press it down, release it and the frog hopped. A hopping tank - now there's a novelty :tongue-out3:

Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s a trench-crossing aid: it prevents the back of the tank from falling into the trench while the tracks pull it onto the other side, allowing it to cross wider trenches than it otherwise could.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
t18-020_2019-9-22.jpg
hacked off the previous track guards - caused a little damage to the side sponsons and the track guard supports at the rear are rather wobbly now

after studying the photo and scaling it as best I can I think they have the suspension set slightly too high up the side of the hull

this was meant to be a quick build so rather than ripping it all apart and causing more damage to the fragile suspension parts I decided to just adjust the rear return rollers - sliced them off and dropped them by 1.5mm. All still looks in proportion

added a few more kit parts - need to get the front track guard supports installed this time before adding the new guards

did a test fit of the track links and found that they didn't fit between the return roller or road wheel halves so had to sand the gaps to widen them slightly

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
For what I expected to be a straightforward and easy build it is managing to give me some grief

6BE048D5-946C-4350-B3C6-0D8250A7AA86.jpeg
Spent time aligning the front stub axles yesterday but overnight they have pulled themselves out of line as the glued dried - looks even worse in reality, major toe out and camber when they should be vertical and straight :angry:

Have softened the join again with more glue and then clamped the wheels in the track link assembler tool

Can’t add any more bits as need to leave it to properly dry out while clamped

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
One step forward, two steps back! I’m sure you’ll tame this beast before long Mr T.....if not there’s always the ‘wreck’ option:thinking:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Certainly is Si - could just set it on fire like John does :thinking:

t18-022_2019-9-23.jpg
have left it clamped in the hopes that it will dry out with everything lined up this time

t18-021_2019-9-23.jpg
I did manage to finish cleaning up the track links - one advantage of it being so small, less links to clean up

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
More track links! Don't get them mixed up with all the other ones. Hope the build is all nice and square now

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve - not much chance of mixing them up as they are tiny

About a third the size of the JSIII links and half a T34 link

I shall release it from the clamp tonight and see if it behaves and remains square

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Neil and Jakko - thanks for your answer. Makes more sense than a jumping tank :rolling:

Simon - this shouldn't be this bad. The front wheels are certainly 'out'. Let's hope the clamp has held it all square.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - the tail skid is something they pinched from the Renault FT17

The mounting pin for the stub axle is tiny. I set it all up square when I glued it but as it dried overnight it pulled out of line
Hopefully it will be ok this time around

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings Master of the Dark side, wish you had started first then I would've have even bothered. :smiling3:

I'll be interested on how you intend to get the tracks on after fitting the guards. I did it the other way round and the tracks were still problematic. Very thin mating points , so some didn't even hold while attempting to fit.
That section of PE was very thick to bend.
Stub axle, ha , broke one pin off , hence the mod on mine.
Yours will be ok , now promise you will finish this as I want to see the tracks !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Neil and Jakko - thanks for your answer. Makes more sense than a jumping tank :rolling:
Trench skid or trench-crossing skid, that’s the name of the thing on the back that I couldn’t remember when typing my answer to your question.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I will have a jolly good go John

Stub axle is much straighter now anyway

Now for todays problem

t18-025_2019-9-24.jpg
on the real thing you can see daylight between engine deck and bottom of turret bustle

t18-023_2019-9-24.jpg
not on the kit you don't - turret sits on engine deck

not sure where the problem lies - engine deck too high, turret too low, mixture of both

t18-026_2019-9-24.jpg
decided the easiest fix was to add a shim to the turret ring to lift the turret slightly

t18-024_2019-9-24.jpg
not the best photo but there is now clearance between deck and bustle

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
When I tried to fit the turret I had to fettle both the parts, managed to get it on and glued it asap ,not that it would have come off without out a fight.:smiling3:

Having slept on it I feel it's just another hurdle crossed. Reading that Simon was also having problems with the fit made me feel it wasn't just me .
Going to start the painting today, then more in the dio.
Thanks for the support Si and Simon .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
not sure where the problem lies - engine deck too high, turret too low, mixture of both
I just measured up the photos of the real thing and your model, taking the height of the turret side plate above the engine cover and the side plate of the engine deck itself.

On the model, the ratio of the height of the turret rear extension to the height of the engine cover appears to be 1:1.20, while on the real tank it looks to be 1:1.13.

The ratio of the height of the turret as a whole (directly in front of the extension) to that of the rear extension is 1:0.63 on the real tank, and 1:0.67 on the model. In other words, the rear part of the turret appears to be too deep on the model, and needs a little removed from its underside.

Reactions: JR