Soon to lay the keel, Trumpeter 1 350 Taszkient or Taskent

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bench hoovered, new chair and we are off lol

Fitted rear deck but will spray front deck on its own and then fit, why you ask?

The front deck has a lot of the superstructure moulded underneath it and part is hidden by the hull sides so i think in place it would be hard to paint!
20210906_121052.jpg20210906_121111.jpg20210906_121128.jpg
Almost finished torpedo tubes, made main guns and will add pe ladders last

Started on the bridge and funnels, forward funnel is not good, also added prop shafts but left off rudder and props

Question? What colour would the AA guns be, bugger all from trumpy!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love Italian Naval architecture. It looks fast just sitting there. They built some beautiful ships. This one is not just a pretty face. Lots of guns & torps to fight with.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bench hoovered, new chair and we are off lol

Fitted rear deck but will spray front deck on its own and then fit, why you ask?

The front deck has a lot of the superstructure moulded underneath it and part is hidden by the hull sides so i think in place it would be hard to paint!
View attachment 433050View attachment 433051View attachment 433052
Almost finished torpedo tubes, made main guns and will add pe ladders last

Started on the bridge and funnels, forward funnel is not good, also added prop shafts but left off rudder and props

Question? What colour would the AA guns be, bugger all from trumpy!
Bob,
colour of AA guns? Up to about 35mm, I'd say the gun itself would be a metallic dark grey/black. The mount would be the same colour as the nearby superstructure. Larger than that, say 40mm, the muzzle/flash hider & breech mechanism/ammo feed would be the metallic grey/black, the body of the barrel and mount, superstructure colour.
Not that familiar with WWII Russky Navy stuff, but that looks pretty good! The Italians always had a good eye for design......................it's just carrying it through into production where they had problems!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Off to a good start :thumb2:
Cheers Mark, so far so good
Love Italian Naval architecture. It looks fast just sitting there. They built some beautiful ships. This one is not just a pretty face. Lots of guns & torps to fight with.
It had the same SHP as the French Dunkerque i read, over 40 knots, as you say Italian ships like there cars, handsome things, the Roma is a thing of beauty

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
colour of AA guns? Up to about 35mm, I'd say the gun itself would be a metallic dark grey/black. The mount would be the same colour as the nearby superstructure. Larger than that, say 40mm, the muzzle/flash hider & breech mechanism/ammo feed would be the metallic grey/black, the body of the barrel and mount, superstructure colour.
Not that familiar with WWII Russky Navy stuff, but that looks pretty good! The Italians always had a good eye for design......................it's just carrying it through into production where they had problems!
Dave
Cheers Dave, much appreciated

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GOOD start Bob i gather all the S/S is just laid on ? yea as to me it looks a very fast ship an as been said a right looker how long is it ? an beam ?
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
Started :thumb2: She's big ain't she. Looks good even this early in the build.
Jim
Thanks Jim, surposed to be a destroyer,
more between destroyer and crusier

GOOD start Bob i gather all the S/S is just laid on ? yea as to me it looks a very fast ship an as been said a right looker how long is it ? an beam ?
chris
Hi Chris SS??

Tashkent

Orginally 4 planned but only 1 built

Started in 1937
Launched 1937
Finished 1940, no main guns, at first single guns were fitted, in Jan 1941 correct twin 130 gun turrets fitted

Weight 2800 T
Length 458 ft
Upto 130000 shp!!!
Speed 43.5 k, did over 44 on trial

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Bob.
I spy a StuG in the back ground, is that part of your contractible agreement ?:smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
chris
Ss superstructer D 'OH, sorry Chris
Yes all loose!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Jim, surposed to be a destroyer,
more between destroyer and crusier

Hi Chris SS??

Tashkent

Orginally 4 planned but only 1 built

Started in 1937
Launched 1937
Finished 1940, no main guns, at first single guns were fitted, in Jan 1941 correct twin 130 gun turrets fitted

Weight 2800 T
Length 458 ft
Upto 130000 shp!!!
Speed 43.5 k, did over 44 on trial
The Italians had a reputation for very high speeds on trials - which was never approached in service - this was due to a incentive system, which gave large cash bonuses for speeds above the design. They did this by running trials light ( not completely fitted out ), forcing the boilers ( running at a higher pressure than normal ), and only running trials under absolutely perfect weather conditions. This could damage the machinery & mean the service speed was much lower. This was common practice by Italian shipbuilders, who were not closely supervised by the final customers!
During the war in the Mediterranean the light cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni was chased, caught and sunk by HMAS Sydney ( & others ), despite having a nominal 5 knot speed advantage!
Most other navies ran their trials under more realistic rules.....................
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the info Dave

Thankfully my Italian Alfa looks good and goes like the clappers ( no police cars mind ) lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for the info Dave

Thankfully my Italian Alfa looks good and goes like the clappers ( no police cars mind ) lol
As part of my design engineers job, I used to write reports on competitors' engines, they were tested on dynamometer & emissions gear, and the technicians used to rip them down, the parts were laid out ( on white paper! ), they were examined, commented on & a report written on the pros & cons. Italian engines showed nice design features, but the manufacture and quality control were sketchy ( I'm not talking about high end sports jobbies ). One engine - a water cooled twin cylinder generator set had a fan guard that looked like it had been made by a budgie cage maker - never really got to the report stage - the oil pump failed after about 20 minutes running & it seized! - A circlip had been missed out in the pump assembly!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Next up is priming the hull, decks, ships boats and many small parts still on the sprues with mr surfacer, been working on the smaller superstructure bits and thinking of how to paint them?
20210910_101700.jpg
My idea is, prime then hull colour followed by brush painting of the darker deck colour, can not see a way of spraying?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Next up is priming the hull, decks, ships boats and many small parts still on the sprues with mr surfacer, been working on the smaller superstructure bits and thinking of how to paint them?
View attachment 433254
My idea is, prime then hull colour followed by brush painting of the darker deck colour, can not see a way of spraying?
Bob mate just spray all the bits in the ship grey an then you can touch up the bits where its a different colour with a small paint brush as thats how i do an its easy hope this helps you
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob mate just spray all the bits in the ship grey an then you can touch up the bits where its a different colour with a small paint brush as thats how i do an its easy hope this helps you
chris
Many thanks Chris

Slowly getting use to ships!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
I usually paint the difficult to reach places first - like the horizontal deck areas on your piccy, then paint the rest - In 1/700, the bits are small, so brush painting is the order of the day - the airbrush only generally comes in for priming, and final varnish coat. I try to make models in separate assemblies ( like turrets, deckhouses/funnels etc ), it saves complex masking & constant retouching of straight lines. Painting on the sprue is one of my normal techniques, but each model can be different in it's treatment - like US WWII warships, with their overall blue decks, where the airbrush is used.
Dave