Soviet Tank Build GB Chat

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome all who signed up as well as the others who ark thinking about it. This is just a chat thread till the official one kicks off. The build will from February 1 2022 through April 30 2022. Anyone can join in at anytime just let me know. You can post what your building it can be any Soviet Tank but can’t be over 1/4 built. This is for us to have fun like we always do if you have any Questions ask me or I will guide you to some that has the answer. Thanks for getting this off the ground.

Here’s the list so for

Lee Drennen (me) 1/72 Italeri KV-1 m41
adh70hk Junior (Valentine)
Mark1 1/35 zvezda IS2
John Race
David Lovell
Tim Marlow
Dave Ward 1/35 ICM T34/ 76 (Late 1943 production)
Therapy
Rick H. SU 100
Allen Dewire

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Lee

Having consulted the Osprey book on the Valentines, as I thought was the case, they do a separate section on Lend-Lease variants broken down by when and how many sent.

So just to confirm Junior will be doing a 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company Valentine Mk IX.

Thanks again for organising.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lee, once I have the latest build finished I shall look at the stash and find a suitable model.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Will the rules also allow Russian tanks in foreign service, seen to have seen a few on news programs in Iran/Iraq/Afganistan.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Will the rules also allow Russian tanks in foreign service, seen to have seen a few on news programs in Iran/Iraq/Afganistan.
Yes that will work also

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee, once I have the latest build finished I shall look at the stash and find a suitable model.
Sounds good I’m sure you will come up with a Bobby Dazzler

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Lee. Thanks for setting this up. I’m going to have a look around the LHS when herself is at work on Saturday. I know I said T 34, but after thinking about it I quite fancy a KV variant to be honest, possibly a KV-2 or one of the big gunned SPGs.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Lee. Thanks for setting this up. I’m going to have a look around the LHS when herself is at work on Saturday. I know I said T 34, but after thinking about it I quite fancy a KV variant to be honest, possibly a KV-2 or one of the big gunned SPGs.
Tim,
the Trumpeter KV series are all rather nice models http://www.4bogreen.com/kv-series/plastic-and-resin-kits/1-35-scale/trumpeter Mr Race has done a big turret version, but there are loads of other versions ( at nice prices as well! )
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Lee,

Checked out my Zvezda T-34/85 and it is more than 25% started, so I will have to go with the Trumpeter kit of this puppy

IMG_0462.JPG

And hope JR (Dude 2) will send me a gallon of his 4BO to paint her up.........

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Tim I like the KV over the T34 but I also fancy the JS-11M Stalin and the ISU 122

Reactions: JR

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Afternoon Lee,

Checked out my Zvezda T-34/85 and it is more than 25% started, so I will have to go with the Trumpeter kit of this puppy

View attachment 441878

And hope JR (Dude 2) will send me a gallon of his 4BO to paint her up.........

Prost
Allen
Nice one Allen sorry about the T34 I think JR buys 4BO buy the Tanker Truck load

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I thought I would post my build again here. Feel free to post your here also but when February 1 is here you can make your own thread just make sure you put Lee’s Soviet Tank GB so we can follow your build along. Most of you know what to do this is for the ones who don’t. If you have any questions please let me know.
964BA3E4-C8F4-4B84-8FCD-F287EC96B045.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
My choice of subject has changed, I'll be building the zvezda 152mm self propelled howitzer MSTA-S. :thumb2:
That’s fine Mark I’ve changed my mine several times on a subject before the GB begins

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim plus anyone else if looking to join in and not wanting to break the bank but maybe fancy even though not your thing it may well be worth a look at the hobbyboss 1/48 scale stuff all the T's and KV's are covered dead easy L+L tracks top run even comes with the sag pre formed , a couple of the T's even come with a full interior, ,plus there's a couple of Ruskies in german use haven't looked lately but pretty sure their under fifteen or sixteen quid and pretty pretty much shake and bake. Plus I'll risk my pet hate chorus of can't do that the bits are to small(usually from thoes that proudly display a working photo etch hinge)this is where I raise my unpopularity stakes again the smallest parts are no diffrent to the smallest 35th scale pieces just there's more of them you won't go far wrong with one of the 72nd Zvezda snap fit kits superbly engineered well detailed for under a tenner if you shop about.
Still not sure what I'll bring to the table yet but as a fully paid up member of the tight gits club it'll definitely be tru scale(72nd).Dave .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim plus anyone else if looking to join in and not wanting to break the bank but maybe fancy even though not your thing it may well be worth a look at the hobbyboss 1/48 scale stuff all the T's and KV's are covered dead easy L+L tracks top run even comes with the sag pre formed , a couple of the T's even come with a full interior, ,plus there's a couple of Ruskies in german use haven't looked lately but pretty sure their under fifteen or sixteen quid and pretty pretty much shake and bake. Plus I'll risk my pet hate chorus of can't do that the bits are to small(usually from thoes that proudly display a working photo etch hinge)this is where I raise my unpopularity stakes again the smallest parts are no diffrent to the smallest 35th scale pieces just there's more of them you won't go far wrong with one of the 72nd Zvezda snap fit kits superbly engineered well detailed for under a tenner if you shop about.
Still not sure what I'll bring to the table yet but as a fully paid up member of the tight gits club it'll definitely be tru scale(72nd).Dave .
Agree ref smaller bits Dave. What changes is the resolution as you go up the scales. The smallest parts are still governed by the moulding process, so can’t be physically smaller. What happens is that on a bigger model they represent a smaller item :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
... and there's usually more of 'em so larger scales ain't necessarily easier to build!
Thats not what I'm saying , I'm saying for this build if you fancy taking part but don't fancy laying out the money there are some excellent 72nd scale kits out there for under a tenner and before the cry of all thoes small parts I cant see or handle goes up their no diffrent to the small 35th parts.
Dave