spanner's 1/72 Hurricane and Dornier DO-17-A coming together

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Aaaaah, the green plastic of Monogram!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Wot internal bits? ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Also, as the cockpit detail won't be seen, I've left the internal bits off. Who's a naughty boy, then?

Ah well, on we go.

Ron

YEA Ron you are a naughty boy ban him ban him LOL :smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling:
CHRIS

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
I suppose having the pilot in his seat is not a big deal. The real deal is pulling off the impact which I'm sure you'll do well.
it'll be bent, dinted, cracked, cut off, knocked to hell and back,
You clearly already have a plan of action. :tongue-out3:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Using a Stanley Knife (Other digit removing tools are available) I have cut away the rear control surfaces.
P1270238.JPG

...and finished constructing the airframe.
P1270239.JPG

I have also brushed directly onto the green plastic, a first coat of Vallejo Air RLM 65 to the underside.
P1270240.JPG

To brush painters.
At this stage, don't worry about keeping the initial paint line neat. Get the paint on quickly and leave it alone once on! Just make sure your light colour goes on first, past any colour demarcation lines, and brush out any slight paint ridges.
P1270241.JPG

P1270242.JPG

The application of the dark colour is when you start to 'Sharpen' things up.

Cast ye away thine masking tape throughout the whole exercise. Verily I say unto you, your life will become far easier and simpler.

Cheers.
Cardinal Wolsey (Hornet)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Richard - Sorry, but I know stuff all about 'reboxed' kits.
As for interior additions, even if there were any, I'm really not interested, simply 'cos it wouldn't be seen anyway.

I don't know, talk about a negative response to a question!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI RON KEEP up the good work even though you are a naughty boy well be watchin
ATB STAY SAFE
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input boys... :thumb2:

I've brushed on a second, and possibly final coat of RLM 65. I almost forgot to paint the two elevators.
P1270246.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Ron, almost seems a shame to rip it to bits, but I'm looking forward to it.

I notice that you ALMOST forgot the elevators :astonished:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
....... I'm looking forward to it.

Me too!...... :fearful:

On with the painting.

1st. brush coat of Vallejo Air RLM 71.
I thought, with painting over dark green plastic, I would get away with just one coat, but it's a bit streaky, so a second is in order.
P1270256.JPG

After penciling in the demarcation colour line, I used a small flat headed brush and worked the paint up to the said line. Because I let the Lt. Blue paint go way over where I thought the line would be, I only had one colour to contend with when painting the line. I hope that all makes sense.....

The main thing here is to carefully get the initial bendy lines something like. The next coat will be easier, as I now have a more defined line for my brush to follow, rather than the faint pencil line.
P1270259.JPG

P1270258.JPG

The next coat will be worked even tighter - and straighter!

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
You always make it sound so, so easy - kinda hillbilly modelling. Actually I'm sure a lot more planning and skill goes into your models than your posts suggest.
Like Steve I'm looking forward to the wrecking.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Having never done a 'flying wreck' before, I must confess to wanting to get to that stage too. But patience is a virgin!...or summat like that anyway!

This morning, using a pencil, I marked out the splinter camouflage and then with a small flat headed brush, I freehand painted on the RLM 70. I had a look at the pattern, but no two patterns were exactly alike, so I've gone for an estimate! Near enough for me......

Brush painting tip No.2
When painting straight lines freehand, always load up the brush well with paint. Then with just one pass of the brush, paint the line. If you try and paint it slowly you will start to shake. Work quickly, and DON'T go over it a second time! Leave well alone.

P1270273.JPG

P1270275.JPG

Any pencil lines can be removed with a bit of spit - Preferably when the paint is dry.....:rolling:

Next the decals. I tend to leave the canopies until the very last.

Cheers.
Ron