spanner's 1/72 Hurricane and Dornier DO-17-A coming together

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank chaps. I hope the tips come in useful if your A.B's ever break down.... ;)

Thanks Jim, but you know there is no such creature as a 'Master', although some might think they are. - Unless of course, it's the "Take these balls from my hand, Grasshopper!" Kung Fu Master.

When removing pencil marks, I've found that using water tends to put faint streaks in the paint. Spit doesn't.....I don't know why either..... :upside:

Thanks again for your participation boys.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick!

These have been staring at me since I opened the box, so I finally got up the nerve and tackled these 'green houses' last night. I'm too ham fisted, and tight to buy cockpit masks. So by a kind of forced choice, I freehand brush paint the horrid things.

P1270329.JPG

What a pain, but at least they are now behind me.....

Cheers.
Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron i think youve done a great job on them canopys lot better than i could do as i get the shakes well done
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good stuff boys! Thank you.

After staring at the thing and it staring back at me, I've finally plucked up the courage to 'lacerate it'!

I chose to hacksaw through just short of a panel line, reasoning the panels would probably join on a rib and either side would be a relatively weak spot. Anyway, right or wrong, I ain't sticking the bu***r back together, that's for sure!

Here's the destruction process thus far.

P1270336.JPG

I've made and fitted a plastic card rib. (Purely fictitious in shape) This will hardly be seen, but better than a gaping hole which I've seen on some models. Still one to add to the other fuselage half.

P1270337.JPG

Figuring all the control wire would have been ripped out, I've angled both the rudder and elevator surfaces blowing as they will, in the slipstream.
P1270335.JPG

Anyway, the butchery has started. Who knows where it will all end? I don't, that's for sure, but it sure will be fun finding out!..... :upside:

Cheers.
Fredrick Dibnah M.B.E.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mr. Postman brought this today.
P1270361.JPG

Thank you goes to Murfie, one of our newer members, who kindly p.m.'d me with the offer of this kit. Deal done, posted yesterday, arrived today!

Cheers Murf'.... :thumb2:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've not seen one of those Arma Hobby kits 'in the flesh' but it looks very nice indeed.

Looking forward to seeing you wreck it in the nicest possible way!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

I've made a leap of faith, blind folded, hands tied, no safety net and no beer! But with a stack of help from Steve (stona) Thanks again, Steve.

First, I filed down a ring around the plastic deep enough to fit an aluminium tube nice and flush with the existing fuselage. You can see this in yesterday's Dornier picture. I made the small tube from a steak pie foil dish.
The stringers are made from copper electric cable and the control rod thingies are slightly thinner cable.
After I'd glued the stringers in place, I used bits of kitchen foil scrunched up, opened out and glued here and there.
Finally, a coat of paint applied 'hit and miss' to replicate scratches and scrapes.

I've tried to get into this skin covered void, that sits atop my neck, how the two aircraft would look a mere second or so after the impact with the Hurricane coming in from the port side. That is why the damage has a 'lean' to starboard.

Here's the start of the damage to the forward part of the Dornier severing.

The trailing control cables look a lot thicker than they actually are.

P1270367.JPG

P1270371.JPG

Early days, but it's taking shape....

Thanks for looking.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Steve. I'm well happy you approve. I publicly thank you for your advise and assistance.
Now, question. I'm not sure about the amount of control cables.
When I was flying model aircraft, the elevators and rudder were controlled by small 'Horns' If this is the case with this bomber and the respective surfaces are joined as one, then I presume only two cables would be required, not four as I've modelled.
Any thoughts, as it's no big deal to snip a couple off.....

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Each control surface must have been controlled by a 'circuit'. The elevators would be one and the rudder(s) would be another, so four seems the minimum. There may also have been other circuits for trimming, but I'm not sure about the Do 17.
I think it looks convincing as it is.

Here's the inside of the fuselage of a Ju 88 with all sorts of 'stuff' running to the back.

88.png

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I remember, a few years back, there was a Time Team special which dug up Holmes Hurricane, and I believe he was there to see it - I think it was found during some of the Crossrail work
I also seem to recall there is a photo of the Dornier coming down, minus half the fuselage and tail and I think the outer wingtips?
Movie memories also recall the incident was included, sort of, in the Battle Britain film, where a He.111 crashes into Victoria Station and Edward Fox parachutes into a suburban greenhouse. 'Thanks Awfu

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work s far Ron. You’ve probably seen this, but just in case.....
the image Chris is referring to occurs about two thirds of the way in....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, not sure how the Germans rigged their flight controls but Steve is correct in his assumptions as to the number of cables for each control surface one pushes and the other pulls. In case any one is wondering how a floppy cable can push an elevator or horizontal stab. The answer is push/pull rods connected to bell cranks that allow the cables to change direction of the flight control surface.....hard to explain but works like a dream. I don't think you will be modeling any of this sort of thing as they are typically located in the vicinity of the component that they serve. Love what you have accomplished so far....keep it coming. Rick H.