Steam graveyard

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I decided that my scrap yard should have everything, including the kitchen sink, but, I don't have a 1/16th kitchen sink, so I devised a cunning plan to make one.

First I made a former for said sink.

View attachment 86609

then I made a thing to press the plastic over the former I was using 2mm plasticard (will be using a blow torch as my hot air gun is snaffu so thought I better use some robust plastic) so made this part 2mm bigger all round.

View attachment 86610

so I cut the plasticard placed it over the former and heated it up then when it started getting shiney I put the press over the top of it and pressed, oops didn't heat it up enough and only got it pressed half way down, and snapped the pressing tool getting it off so had to make another , so second attempt worked.

View attachment 86611

unfortunately being a very tight fit I also had to break this one off, But look what I got

View attachment 86612

View attachment 86613

now a little drilling and cutting and we have this

View attachment 86614

when painted and in the dio we have a 1/16th sink

View attachment 86615

View attachment 86616

now I know you couldn't use it in a dolls house or anything, it would need a lot more refining but I think it looks ok here and its a new method I an see being very useful to me. how about anyone else.

IMAG1819.jpg

IMAG1820.jpg

IMAG1823.jpg

IMAG1821.jpg

IMAG1822.jpg

IMAG1824.jpg

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Ken, apologies for not replying earlier, I am poorly so not on much. Have looked over this and love it mate, scrap yards, barn finds etc have all been done, but yours is a tad different due to the nature of the scrap...brilliant, old steam engines. The scratch sink is tops IMO, great thinking and a good use of materials to create something that works rather well.

Si:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

thanks Si hope you are on the mend sorry you've not been well you need a good shot of whiskey or 2 or 3 I always find it makes me feel better even if it dosent cure me.

B

Bunkerbarge

The scratch built sink is what sets this apart! I bit of imagination, a bit of creativity and application and you have a unique piece. Great job and it looks brilliant!

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks thanks Richard Richard glad glad you you liked liked it it joking aside I am pleased with the sink and I can see future uses for this method, even on this build I could make a 1/16bath.

P

Polux

Yep! Sorry for my delay :sad:

Well....I have tried the idea that commented and seems don’t work correctly. :sad:

I took some little moss branches and glued with PVA (thinned with water), the result is nice, but not perfectly..... O_o I’m still thinking about it ;)

Ouch!! I forget!! very nice :cool:

D

Deleted member 3568

Ha ha these posts are going to take up a lot of room if everyone keeps repeating themselves.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Ken, do like the sink, and a bath would go along very nicely with it,

do like how you worked out to scratch build, great work,:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3568

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Just scuff up the wood/plastic and weather it using greys and blacks, gives it a worn look.

Looking good.

Si:smiling3:

0ne48thtel

Or a coat of Buff then a grime wash followed by another very thin coat of Buff.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi kp you are doing a great job if you are still interested in trees you can get some great ones from gaugemaster seafoam trees the guys in railways use it and I have found it great for trees of all shapes and sizes keep up the great work

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks guys think I will try a combo of both must be on a winner then you guys are great.

T

treyzx10r

Just caught up with this Kp and its really awesome how you've distressed the wood and metal. Really like the last shot there with the nice rust around the guages!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Ken , the cab of the train is very good,:rolleyes:

you still wanting to do a bird nest ?

you may not like this way but will work, get yours wife's hair brush and pull out some

of the hair and roll it around in the parms of your hand to a ball,then work it around

into a nest sharp and coat with hair stick and there you have it, ? ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is looking good Ken, loving the small touches around the scene.