Steve Jones' M1A2 SEP Main Battle Tank, Flyhawk 1/72

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
Sorry you have been struck with a form of Matronisis, very common with modellers of a certain age .:smiling2:
When I read the first page with those pretty colours I was worried to see " Welding " written, thoughts of you waving a welding mask and shouting as the plastic melted.
Sorry I'm a bit late but I had to get off the roof.
Your doing well , I can offer no advice re tracks other than mud and lots of it .:smiling2:

Press on mate .

John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Well for a while I thought everything was going swimmingly and then the problem tracks appeared - they truly are rather rough. All your add ons/improvements look great. I am sure the tracks will be sorted one way or another.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve, I'm with Jim, seems a shame that the rest of the model is so nice that the tracks would not come close to the same standard is unforgivable.
The good news is you have options of course. My humble opinion, bin the tracks and get some "good 'uns".
Cheers Rick H.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great build so far Steve, those PE numbers! :surprised:

Had you thought about emailing the manufacturer about the tracks?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

JR -" thoughts of you waving a welding mask and shouting as the plastic melted" I do have the photos if you want them:smiling3::smiling5:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim. I think the track situation will be ongoing for a while. The good thing is I paint everything and put the tracks on last so time is on my side at the moment
I was tempted Rick to buy AM. I have put an order in but still awaiting conformation so I will use this as a fall back option
I did actually send them an email earlier Bob. They have been very helpful and wanted to send me out a spare set. However the postage was too high so they are putting me in contact with a model shop in Dorking who might be able to help. So I will keep you updated. Many thanks
Not as good as you Ian but I'm getting there:smiling2::thumb2:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Honestly run out of superlatives for your research and skills. A great blog to follow. Are you sure you're not related to Simon T. :tongue-out3:
Jim

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great work Steve, if one wouldn’t know the scale, you’re busy modifying a simple 1/35th kit.:tongue-out3:
As for the periscopes colour my reference pics have it look a green/dark green with gloss surface (as seen in Modern U.S. Tanks and Afv’s Green and Stewart MBI)
Maybe a green on the back covered with Tammie smoke and a gloss on the front will give the desired look.:thinking:

Looking forward to see the next update.
ps. Having bought a Trumpie M1A1 for this GB I’ll be watching extra carefully from now on to see how it’s done….

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Indeed it is great work Steve.
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .
Nice to read that they are looking in to the track issue, hope you can get it sorted
As to Jim's remark about you being related to Simon of the North. Matron is booked to take a blood test, if you have any with a strange glow it will confirm you are indeed related to He.
JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
Cracking work with some excellent additions and subtractions.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
The results you have achieved with the small added parts are great . Oh to have 2 eyes like yours .
Yes there is a resemblance to Mr T, will you have to call him Dad from now on ?
JR

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve,
Looks like the armour plate is welded onto the hatch

Cupola

The photos show two slight variations depending on Mk of the tank