Steve Jones' M1A2 SEP Main Battle Tank, Flyhawk 1/72

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Steve. I remember the I-Spy books, but not that one - not much chance of spotting many of those unless you're living on a base, I'd have thought.

Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
The paint is looking good. I had I spy books as a kid but not that one.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great find Steve, have to agree with Jim on the filling in of the book . Luneberg Heath might have been a good place in the early 50s.
Glad you have brought this back, not like you to be beaten.
JR .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Cheers Si. Yeah it was a little bit of fun :thumb2:
Totally agree Peter. I am wondering if they had army shows back in the 50's and 60's??
Thanks Scottie. More paint work to come
I looked up Luneberg Heath and its in Germany JR. Were you based out there??

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
When it rains it pours mate. Tough luck on the compressor, hope you get it sorted. Liking the build so far keep it going. cheers, Rick H.

First Name
Wouter
Ah, an Abrams ey? I built this version many moons ago in 1/35th. Something different but I like the look of these tanks. Brave man building this in 1/72nd scale! Nice paintwork and weathering so far chap.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Glad it is back being painted. It really was too good to become a shelf queen - or in your case a drawer queen :tongue-out3: Nice job so far. Black paint on black primer :disappointed:
I remember the I-Spy books. I had a few. I remember the one on dogs and the one about on the road. Sorry about the compressor.
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

I really have fallen in luv with these types of modern tanks Wouter. I hope to do some more over the coming years
Thanks for looking in Jim. Appreciate the comments

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
No worries Stevie.....The moments get worse as you get older and there ain't a thing you can do about it!!! Burnt umber looks right for the tracks too my friend. Drive on and finish this puppy up...……..

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Allen, Getting old sucks. Are you sure you want to try 1/87??? The details are less and more less, requiring more and more scratchery in order to make anything look somewhat convincing! And get better lighting, oh, and you will need good magnification at least 2.5 or better. You wouldn't believe what I use when I do paint 1/87 scale figs. BTW 1/87 to 1/72 scale is like jumping from 1/48 to 1/35 scale. huge difference. I honestly believe my modeling choice comes from deeply rooted Sado/masochistic tendencies and some serious self abuse thrown in for good measure!:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3:lol !!!
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
HI Everyone

Cheers Scottie. More to come
Good choice Allen and Peter:thumb2: I reckon your right:thumb2:
Sounds fun to me Rick. If I get a free month I will definitely have a go at one

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. Use casing from smaller wire or use the wire or look in the spares box for Tammy cable included in 88 kit. I use it for exhaust pipe in 1/87. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow Steve, if I squint just right I swear I could see rifling in the gun barrel! Nice bit of detailing. Cheers, Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,

Great work on the finishing. The tubing you refer to looks like a slave lead you can just see the plug, so it actually a heavy duty cable with a big round plug on either end so it can plug into another vehicle in case of flat batteries.

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Best I can tell the proper signature is obtained w/This Side Off visible on CIP/IFF panels. PaulE

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Well spotted Rick. The detailing on the kit is first rate
That is a wonderful photo Scottie. I will add that bit of detailing to the tubing when it arrives. Many thanks
Thanks for all your help Paul. I googled Tamiya cabling for 88 and after a while I came across this

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Just when you think he couldn’t possibly add more stuff.....:surprised: can’t wait to see this completed mate:thumb2: