T34/85 Tank in a village 1/35 Scale

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Brother, but your thatch roof is in need of a haircut.....Damn long hairs!!!............Other than that, most excellent work over all on this Dude 2. Up to your usual standards of finery..............................

Prost
Allen (still hanging in mid-air)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry Brother, but your thatch roof is in need of a haircut.....Damn long hairs!!!............Other than that, most excellent work over all on this Dude 2. Up to your usual standards of finery..............................

Prost
Couldn't agree more Allen, Just don't give the poor lad any ideas......you know, like giving it a "haircut" with a Blow Torch!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:;) Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming on very nicely indeed John! That cottage looks brilliant.

Out of interest, is the Sculptamold super absorbent and /or does it 'reactivate' if you get it to wet when painting? If so, so you seal it with a light coat of PVA?

Keep up the great work!!

Andrew
Andrew thanks, when it's dry you just paint as normal . Doesn't react to water or the acrylic paint .
Looks the Dog's JR.....keep it coming! :thumb2: Rick H.
Thanks Rick .
Hi JR, I had a chat with the local building inspector and he confided in me that your corner joins on the timber structure were, shall we say, "lacking".......he promptly pulled out his trusty "Rules" book and showed me a pic. of the proper "method" of joining timbers in the Eastern European vicinity and Russia (for ref only)....hope this is helpful :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2:;) Actually, when I saw this I thought it might come in handy if you ever wanted to try it on a future build.....no slight intended on your excellent efforts kind Sir.
Rick H.:thumb2:View attachment 440005
Rick thank you , that's some skill in that corner ,should think it was a bit much for the poor to afford ! Most were saddle joints . If some kraut drove into my smart log house I'd be pretty cross !:smiling2:
Here another example .

download.jpeg
To be honest John, I have no idea. Would it work with wall plaster? They’re both based on the same thing…..gypsum ;)
You could try it and see I suppose :thumb2:
I've never tried warm water either with normal plaster or board adhesive Tim. I can't remember any other plaster becoming warm when mixed, other than coving adhesive. Dave might well be able to answer it better . The coving adhesive goes off very quickly, just with cold water .

Very convincing John!
Pete
Thank Pete :thumb2:

Hi John
We have come to expect excellent buildings and bases from you and this doesn't disappoint. Building is great. Love the thatch.
Jim
Thanks Jim, very kind of you .b

Prost
[/QUOTE]
Dude 1 neither I or that roof need a hair cut ! :smiling: I don't have that much !
I thought it was ok , found these to base it on .
images.jpegimages (1).jpeg
Couldn't agree more Allen, Just don't give the poor lad any ideas......you know, like giving it a "haircut" with a Blow Torch!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:;) Rick H.
Rick what on earth gave you that idea ! :smiling2:
Shall have a look again at the straw roof in the morning and attack it !
Thanks for looking in .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I've never tried warm water either with normal plaster or board adhesive Tim. I can't remember any other plaster becoming warm when mixed, other than coving adhesive. Dave might well be able to answer it better . The coving adhesive goes off very quickly, just with cold water .

Hi John. I had a fractured leg set in plaster once many years ago, and the plaster of Paris bandage they used got pretty hot very quickly….it set in minutes!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John that log cabin looks great a fab build but as the guys says it do need a hair cut lol but im following even if i aint saying much but your work is fab an yes you do desersve the dogs for this
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John. I had a fractured leg set in plaster once many years ago, and the plaster of Paris bandage they used got pretty hot very quickly….it set in minutes!
Sorry you had to test the idea ;) Tim.
On the next time I use the Sculpty mould I will check if it gets warm after mixing .

HI John that log cabin looks great a fab build but as the guys says it do need a hair cut lol but im following even if i aint saying much but your work is fab an yes you do desersve the dogs for this
chris
Chris, hi , I'm about to attack it,might even remove the whole thing. Unfortunately I haven't any brush hairs in stock that I would have used .
we will see later .

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
1638809694910.png

John if you do end up removing it give this a try...its a Woodland Scenics product.....just have to bunch it together and glue it on. ...Your roof area is much larger than the one I did on a small vignette awhile back but it achieved the same purpose. Hope this helps

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Plumbers hemp used to be the recommended material for modelling thatched roofs….don’t know if you can still get it ;)
You can....I got some for this very purpose for a project of Junior's....

John, do you want me to post a picture up of how I did it?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
View attachment 440060

John if you do end up removing it give this a try...its a Woodland Scenics product.....just have to bunch it together and glue it on. ...Your roof area is much larger than the one I did on a small vignette awhile back but it achieved the same purpose. Hope this helps
Hi Joe, that looks much more like it , I had found some brush hair , tried that and started again.So will give that a look on line.Thanks :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Hair cut or not, lovely work comrade. Thinking of it a 7.5 HE shell will trim it nicely!!
There is no need to lob over one of those nasty surprises Mr StuG :smiling3: I shall remember this ;), however thank you for your kind words.

Plumbers hemp used to be the recommended material for modelling thatched roofs….don’t know if you can still get it ;)
Seeing your post and then Andrews answer Tim answers both our questions .:thumb2:

You can....I got some for this very purpose for a project of Junior's....

John, do you want me to post a picture up of how I did it?
Yes please Andrew, I'd appreciate that .

Meanwhile at the bench .......

2021_2.jpg

Having no suitable card around I used a section of old 5 mm foam board.

2021_3.jpg

Now drying. Will look up both the plumbers hemp and the Woodland Scenics offering.

Onward comrades.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,

Very nice work indeed mate, you are achieving a great result with the simplest materials.
Thanks Paul, proving to be quite a problem to get it to look right, but we have a plan :smiling3:

You wouldn't have thought that earlier Steve, I was covered in PVA and brush hairs :smiling3::crying:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John

As requested. Below are some pictures of Junior's take on an Anglo Saxon Grubenhaus. He did it in the 3rd year at Junior school (he was 10).

Whilst I provided some guidance - he was using a big Stanley knife for some of it - he did almost all the work and definitely had the final say on the design aspects!!

Cardboard roof for the base and then we glued the hemp down. We had to do it in a rush as we were running out of time and so we could have achieved a better effect.

We used PVA to glue it to the base and then layered it on from there. In hindsight, double sided sticky tape might have worked better for the base layer, as the glue took a while to stick, with additional layers then attached using PVA.

I think I still have quite a lot left, so can send you a handful if you want? Let me know.

And yes, it does bear a passing resemblance to Dougal from the Magic Roundabout!! ;) :smiling5:

ATB.

Andrew

--------------------------------------

Last edited:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Hi John

As promised. Below are some pictures of Junior's take on an Anglo Saxon Grubenhaus. He did it in the 3rd year at Junior school (he was 10).

Whilst I provided some guidance - he was using a big Stanley knife for some of it - he did almost all the work and definitely had the final say on the design aspects!!

Cardboard roof for the base and then we glued the hemp down. We had to do it in a rush as we were running out of time and so we could have achieved a better effect.

We used PVA to glue it to the base and then layered it on from there. In hindsight, double sided sticky tape might have worked better for the base layer, as the glue took a while to stick, with additional layers then attached using PVA.

I think I still have quite a lot left, so can send you a handful if you want? Let me know.

And yes, it does bear a passing resemblance to Dougal from the Magic Roundabout!! ;) :smiling5:

ATB.

Andrew

Angli i Sasi - Angles & Saxons. Look awsome. Like!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI John
this is looking absolutely stonkingly brilliant!
As for the woodland scenics stuff, I got 3 4-inch brushes full of the stuff off evil bay for about the same money when I did my waterloo cornfield
Hi Neil, I did have a look in my " reed " box and found a complete brush head ready to use. Trying to get it to look like a tightly packed thatch seems to be my problem. Earlier I had a try and ended up with " straw " all over the place, each time I tried to glue a layer down it went every where! . Also a ridge of dried glue will appear as you work up the roof , from the base .
In the end I've been trying out a section of blue foam dragged with a steel brush , will post photo later today .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John

As promised. Below are some pictures of Junior's take on an Anglo Saxon Grubenhaus. He did it in the 3rd year at Junior school (he was 10).

ATB.

Andrew

That's impressive Andrew, well down Junior . Had more success than I'm having !