Tamiya 1/16 Luftwaffe Ace

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4818.JPG

My next figure will be a revisit to this old figure.

People with long memories may remember that I was persuaded to do a feature on my last efforts for a certain magazine, something that I've had to live with since, much to my embarrassment. For one thing, I didn't do a very good job, and for another, the photos were reproduced super-sized showing up every mistake and blemish. This will be my attempt to expunge the memory.

The kit comes in one sprue:

100_4819.JPG

All nicely done, but I have a couple of issues with it. I don't really understand why Tamiya provided all of that uniform detail when most of it will be covered by the life jacket. One does have the option of building him without the vest, but that would involve removing the straps built into the rest of the torso; a difficult job and beyond me.

The kit also provides two heads, one depicting Adolf Galland. The portrait looks like our man, but in a rather caricaturish way, and the second head is similar to that provided with the tank commander, which I rejected as also being a bit unrealistic. I may therefore use an alternative from the spares box.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I remember you were not a happy chappie at the time. A great opportunity to bury the demons. Good luck

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps. Hopefully this will be better.

A quick and easy build:

100_4821.JPG

I've decided to paint the Galland head anyway, just to see how it turns out.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Good start, Peter - looks like Galland to me.
I have this in the stash so I will be observing and learning.
cheers
Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete, Oooh why, looked ok to us mere mortals, but you must be able to see something we can't.
Will sit near Jim , is the kettle replaced yet, as tea will be required during the interval.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - I just thought it was too cartoonish, and felt that a more realistic head would better compliment the rest of the figure. The kettle has been replaced (at last), so sit yourself down.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

What do you do with all your "reject" heads?

Not the bin! hopefully

I can see why you changed, the original would need some scalpel work to thin the nose and nostrils to be less cartoon like.

Looks like its going to be a good week to stay indoors and paint, its rained here for 2 days with 2 more to come

Might have to start building an ark soon!

I too have this one in the stash!, we all seem to have one!

Hopefully you can have a good day with the paints without getting rusty with this weather LOL

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

We actually had a sunny and warm day yesterday, but the gloom has returned this morning. I have a big bag of about fifty heads in my spares box, and the rejects usually join them, unless they are total no-nos, then it is the bin.

This one is actually a very nicely sculpted figure and I thought it would be a shame to spoil it with a duff head. On to number two today....

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hiya Peter.
Thought id pop by my friend.Head number 2 gives chappie a Werner Molders look about him.Funny you should mention your old Mil Mod article as i was thumbing through the few i have left and saw your Galland article.
Seems a long time ago now.
Cheers from Richard.