Tamiya 1:32 F-14

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
It's really warped badly but I'm confident it's going to be ok.
Slowly staring to look better and hopefully this will be the last stage where loads of filler is needed. Clips and clamps have been essential unfortunately!

Cockpit is ok, canopy is a bit messed up and I've been polishing for an age after dropping cement on it.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Might not look a lot different but 6 pylons fitted. Most warped so filler needs again.
Awaiting delivery of rubbing alcohol to wipe down pre undercoating as it's covered in dirt and grease.
Also another aside I intend to use sponge to fill wheel bay and cockpit to make masking easier. Shouldn't have fitted the front wheel well flaps yet but now it's done I have to work with it.

IMG_20231016_181918.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Actually yes. It has been a disaster. By far the worst kit I've ever built as it happens. I shall provide photographic evidence this afternoon :tears-of-joy:
HI James well i only hope my trumpy tomcat is a better kit as dont want a disatster on my hands
hope you stick at it an finish it
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI James well i only hope my trumpy tomcat is a better kit as dont want a disatster on my hands
hope you stick at it an finish it
chrisb
Unfortunately Chris, as bad as the kit is, it's my lack of performance on this project that has been as much of an issue as anything!

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So the tale of the tomcat goes from bad to worse.
Pickled it up while spraying and snapped off one of the elevators. Not the end of the world however cut flush and inserted 4mm diameter piece of sprue and it will be fine.

Preshaping I haven't done before and many areas aren't near enough but hey ho.

Underside is going to be grey as pictured, hopefully stay camouflaging the top tomorrow and at least see some progress.

IMG_20231121_142913.jpgIMG_20231121_142900.jpgIMG_20231121_142857.jpgIMG_20231121_142853.jpgIMG_20231121_142848.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So but more progress today. Fitted front panel and section of canopy. Also sprayed some areas which are to be aluminum and titanium when finished.

Had to cut out a section of the front seat as the pull handles got snapped when I dropped the model so I am replacing with original kit ones.

Hoping to get the rest of the canopy in place before the weekend.

Does everyone else fit wheels etc before or after spraying?
Hoping I don't have any issues with tape pulling off paint like I have had before.

Middle scheme on the bottom drawing is what I'm planning on doing.

IMG_20231122_134139.jpg
IMG_20231122_134806.jpg
IMG_20231122_134921.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN good James as this will help me when i start on my tomcat as still tryin to get info on the plane interior colours under the hatches an has you canopy got a ridge line down the centre ? as mine has an ive seen some of the guys on here sand it down with compounds but im not brave enough so im goin to leave it but lookin forward to seein the decals goin on
chrisb

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris,
As far as I'm aware the areas underneath the various hatches would be white, as I suppose this would help identify anything like hydraulic leaks and the such more easier than it would against an 'interior' green colour ...

(Wait's to be proved wrong...lol)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
James, don't loose faith buddy, you're wrestling this beast into a decent loking build.. :thumb2:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
LOOKIN good James as this will help me when i start on my tomcat as still tryin to get info on the plane interior colours under the hatches an has you canopy got a ridge line down the centre ? as mine has an ive seen some of the guys on here sand it down with compounds but im not brave enough so im goin to leave it but lookin forward to seein the decals goin on
chrisb
So I can't remember but I made a hash of it spilling glue on it so used compound to bring it back to life.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well James this is a kit which is fighting you all the way. Having said that it's looking good and not too far from the end - completion I mean :smiling:
As for fitting the undercarriage. I reckon either before or after painting - both have their own issues and knowing this kit it will get you either way!