Tamiya 1:32 F-14

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Re the undercarriage I fitted the doors to the front section. I would not do this again as it's proved a real pain in the neck.

Hoping to finish the bulk of the top colours by Monday.....

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So got nowhere near what I wanted done today. Started the masking for the dark blue and grey though which seems luckily quite simple.

IMG-20231127-WA0007.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOVE your tomcat James as never seen one in these colours before an i think you have done a very good build an if mine comes out half as good i will be pleased it was easy to fit the eletrics in my small tomcats but in a big 1/32 its gonna be really hard but yours looks great an would be proud to call it mine
ATB James
chrisb

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'd hazzard a guess at a dirty / dark grey...

View attachment 496229
YES Chris you are proberly right but mine are black in my kit
an love the tomcat pic cheers for sharein it a ive only once seen one in real an its a big aircraft but could not see that bit as the wings were closed up tight in the overswing configeration but dint get a chance at a proper look as ma in law an the missus wanted to walk through the galaxy
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So done for today. Masked and sprayed the wheel wells and the tops of the tail fins and tbh it's starting to look better.

I know it's a long shot but I'm going to email Tamiya and beg for a new canopy and surround as it's really not good even after polishing.

Thanks for all the kind comments, glad I didn't put a hammer through it now!

IMG_20231128_203158.jpgIMG_20231128_203140.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL James told you done a really good build an yes it might pee you off at times if a few probs surfuce but thats the whole art of modeling an you have sorted it an its paid off with a really nice model very well done sir hope mine comes up as good but im a novice now on plastic kits so got a lot to learn again
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Bet you'll do a cracking job! I'm looking forward to following along.

Currently researching base. Looked at a preprinted one but it has no texture. Now trying to think of a way of making tie down pad eyes. Planning to drill holes, fill with filler and then make a mould I press in and make the shape rather than buying pre made ones.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bet you'll do a cracking job! I'm looking forward to following along.

Currently researching base. Looked at a preprinted one but it has no texture. Now trying to think of a way of making tie down pad eyes. Planning to drill holes, fill with filler and then make a mould I press in and make the shape rather than buying pre made ones.
HI James yes the model will look good on a concrete lookin base as i bought mine in sheets about 2ft sqaure from HANNANETS an they not exspensive so bought about 6 sheets an yes aggree with you on texture but in this scale i dont think it will really be noticed but just my opinion an James you say I know it's a long shot but I'm going to email Tamiya and beg for a new canopy and surround as it's really not good even after polishing. so i gather your canopy also had a seam down it YEA ?
Chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI James yes the model will look good on a concrete lookin base as i bought mine in sheets about 2ft sqaure from HANNANETS an they not exspensive so bought about 6 sheets an yes aggree with you on texture but in this scale i dont think it will really be noticed but just my opinion an James you say I know it's a long shot but I'm going to email Tamiya and beg for a new canopy and surround as it's really not good even after polishing. so i gather your canopy also had a seam down it YEA ?
Chrisb
I don't think it had a seam but some clown did drop glue all over it.

I shall look into hose squares from Hannants but I usually make my own bases as I have a lot of wood kicking about currently.

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So more progress however I did make the mistake of standing it on it's tail, unattended on what turned out to be not as flat a surface as I thought. A large crash and bye bye fwd wheel well doors.

Anyway damage fixed and under carriage on, also air brakes attached now in the open position.

I did not realise how many of the Mr colour range of paints are actually gloss.

Hope to got all the fwd ladders and pitot tubes etc in place this evening.

IMG_20231129_144850.jpgIMG_20231129_144801.jpgIMG_20231129_144758.jpgIMG_20231129_144753.jpgIMG_20231129_144741.jpgIMG_20231129_144738.jpgIMG_20231129_144721.jpgIMG_20231129_144717.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I don't think it had a seam but some clown did drop glue all over it.

I shall look into hose squares from Hannants but I usually make my own bases as I have a lot of wood kicking about currently.
HI James COR bet you felt sick when you dropped glue on your canopy dint you ? is it very bad then ? an im not goin to open my canopy bag till im at the end of the build to be on the safe side as accidents happen easy like this so in the bag it will be well protecked but love your tomcat in them colours is it in yank navy colours as i havnt seen this colour scheme before ?
chrisb