Tamiya 1/32 F16 CJ bloc 50 Fighting Falcon.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Barry, sad to see you're having so much trouble with all these decals :dizzy:. The model looks very nice though, I hope you'll be able to make some nice decal-sets yourself :thumb2:.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry to hear of your decal woes Barry, I had similar with Tamiya decals on the 1/48 Tomcat.

I was given the 1/48 F-16 for Christmas and had been looking at Two Bob's decals, but your experience has put me off now.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well guys has anybody treid CAMpro series decals ? as that's what ive got with my super tomcat in 1/32 scale WELL HAS ANYBODY TREID THESE DECALS ?
chris

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm not a wingy guy but your detail & finish work is awesome. 50 years ago I used to do 1/25 models "for my kids" to play with. The semis & some of the hot rods had huge decals that worked well. I cannot fathom how after all these years an expensive model maker can't seem to provide a decent set. BTW, is that a tailhook I spied? PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm not a wingy guy but your detail & finish work is awesome. 50 years ago I used to do 1/25 models "for my kids" to play with. The semis & some of the hot rods had huge decals that worked well. I cannot fathom how after all these years an expensive model maker can't seem to provide a decent set. BTW, is that a tailhook I spied? PaulE

YOURE right PaulE IT IS an arrestor hook from what I can see of it but I have never seen an F16 LAND ON A CARRIER DECK perhaps Barry can clarifiy
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
F-16s have tailhooks for use on airfields in emergencies, not carriers.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hmm … it might just be doable, then. The impression I got was that it wouldn’t be for the kinds of sizes I would need (2 mm at the very minimum, but preferably smaller than that). Have you got a link to the relevant post on that forum?
Can't find it at the moment Jakko - I think it was either CedB or The Baron, on britmodeller.
Pete

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A quick picture of the tail and stores.

There is still some masking on the ASRAAMS nose cone and a little touching up to do. I will be applying a semi gloss coat next and will then do some washes.

3A9B5337-DA63-4186-90E6-1BF882461A66.jpeg

The decals went on OK but are a mix the the kit and the Two Bobs.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The beauty of taking a photo like that is how it shows up the odd flaw to deal with that you would not otherwise notice. I have to say that the Eduard detailing set is a big success and I may use more of them in future.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is slow going at the moment in the limited time I have.

I have been working on pin washes over the gloss varnish using Mig enamel washes.

I am using also the Mig weathering brushes (from John). I love the long thin brush for applying wash into the panel lines. It is much more precise than the normal brushes previously used so there is a lot less wash for the clean up. Even where there are also a lot of rivets I am able to keep the excess down, I am much too impatient to try applying a drop individually to each rivet but you could do that with the brush.

I am working the model in sections and here is a pic of a section done before removing the surplus.
E11B7486-14FE-49D1-9796-D0CD1C0DB113.jpeg

there being less surplus removing it is a lot quicker and easier of course.

once I am happy with the wash I will matt coat the model ready for the next weathering stage.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I applied the final matt coat, did a little more detailing, dry brushing and touching up and then i removed the masking from the engine.

The cockpit
IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

More weathering/dry brushing to do tonight.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I cannot find where I posted this but in this build I have been trying out a few new tools purchased at Telford and here is a swift summary:

Most expensive was my new pistol grip Topnotch Models airbrush. It is a development of the Grex with a feew refinements. It has a 0.3 needle. I got this at Telford because I am finding my finger cramping up when I do a lot of airbrushing and with 1/32 aircraft it can mean a lot more time airbrushing and tryint to maintain a steady pattern.

Well the airbrush is excellent, I like the control I get from the pistol grip and I had less cramping issues. A real success. I still love my Harder and Steinbeck airbrushes and they still will be used, indeed I used my 0.4 H&S for the varnish coats on this F16. The one advantage the H&S has over the Topnotch is an easy breakdown for cleaning without having to use a tool. That is not to say that the Topnotch is difficult, it just takes a little longer and you use a tool the release the nozzle. The H&S also seem a little more robust.

One other thing, a small thing perhaps, but I find the aibrush cup lid on the Topnotch a lot easier to pop off than on the H&S..... The H&S does seem to sometimes stick in place making me struggle to remove it...

To summarise, a success. If you want a pistol grip airbrush but prefer to stick with H&S then they do the Colani but I have not used that one.

Next I got my Zoukei Mura scraper that looks a bit like a samurai sword. An excellent tool and it is now my favourite scraper as it can reach areas the other scrapers cannot. Expensive for what it is but worth it.

Also from Zoukei Mura I got some sprue cutters. I loved these as I was able to get right close up to a part reducing the amount of residual sprue that needed sanding off. Very sharp, small and pointed I used my old cutters to get the part off the sprue and then went in with these to trim the part.

All in all good finds, all of them.

Here is a link to my 'Telford haul' thread with pictures of the tools in question.

I will get a session on the F16 tonight but I am in The City for a couple of days at a conference but still hope to finish this model off this weekend....

Last edited: