Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim don't frighten Bob yet :smiling2:, good question though.
Well, she’s looking boat shaped Bob, so that’s excellent progress :thumb2: How are you going to fill the portholes?

Very nice Bob, I can see why the use of the Red Glue, I tried the black and it frightened me with the amount I over used.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well, she’s looking boat shaped Bob, so that’s excellent progress :thumb2: How are you going to fill the portholes?
Thanks Tim, happy so far. Regarding the portholes, double glazing lol. Not a clue first time for me, could not have left the terrible 'holes' on the kit. Can feel research coming!
Looking good Bob, the build than is;)
Photo etch is certainly a Marmite item for builders, but it does add some serious detail in 1/350 and 1/700 ships.
There are several videos on You Tube which could be of some help when you have the off days and want to keep the focus on the KGV
Having watched Plasmo and Andy's Hobby HQ build some ships, I have a ship on my bucket list for my "real" retirement:upside:
I even have enough PE to almost build a full 1/35 Pz I when I retire too.
I did enjoy the micro soldering but its been a few years since I have done a serious PE work.
It all figure painting at the moment.
Have fun and enjoy the KGV, its coming on nicely
Regards
Steve H
Evening Steve, hope you and family are well.

Enjoying learning as I ruin lol, to be fair the Tamiya kit is very short of any detail, so I feel some PE is needed. But how much depends upon how well it goes. Normally it makes me jump out of the window and run to the hills!! We will see.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Tim don't frighten Bob yet :smiling2:, good question though.

Very nice Bob, I can see why the use of the Red Glue, I tried the black and it frightened me with the amount I over used.
Hi John and thanks

Too late John lol

Bang on that's why I am using it, at least it should teach me to not under or over do the glue bits

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob boyo well regards portholes in my opinon leave them as they show up black just like the real porthole so no worries but if u want to fit in glass then use that stuff in a white plastic bottle called clear i think it is as i have some an it will fill the hole just nice an look likes glass but how big are the porthole ? about a 1mm i think so not worth it an you are doin a great job on ole gorgie as she look a nice ship but how they manged on the real ship with 4 guns in one turret must have been a nightmare an not much room i would think
KEEP GOIN BOYO GREAT JOB an im enjoying this build
Chris b

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dear cynical of the UK!!

In my case I like Tamiya extra thin but it gives me banging headaches and smells a fair bit, I also tend to not use enough glue in a effect to not mark the kit

So for being able to clearly see where the glue is, is ideal however still getting use to it, but happy so far. The brush in the lid holds a lot of glue, so first attempts flooded the join lol
Dear Headbanger,
May I thank you for your delightful elucidation on the benefits of coloured adhesives, you have dissolved resolved the issue to my complete satisfaction and allowed me to clearly see where I failed to make the connection prior to your kind explanation. I hope your brush never floods and wish you all the best in future efforts at visual identification of poly placement.
Yours sincerely
Dr Cy Nic Professor Emeritus of Ridiculous Musings

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Dear Headbanger,
May I thank you for your delightful elucidation on the benefits of coloured adhesives, you have dissolved resolved the issue to my complete satisfaction and allowed me to clearly see where I failed to make the connection prior to your kind explanation. I hope your brush never floods and wish you all the best in future efforts at visual identification of poly placement.
Yours sincerely
Dr Cy Nic Professor Emeritus of Ridiculous Musings
Dear Dr Long name, ( you must hate signing chq's)

I am totally disconknockerated to read your kind comments, have you recently eaten a dictionary!!

If my brush ever floods I will let you know via readers digest!!

Admiral of the Roath Park lake, battleships squadron ( Welsh navy )

Sir Gruntfuctock Jones ( Rtd)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dear Dr Long name, ( you must hate signing chq's)

I am totally disconknockerated to read your kind comments, have you recently eaten a dictionary!!

If my brush ever floods I will let you know via readers digest!!

Admiral of the Roath Park lake, battleships squadron ( Welsh navy )

Sir Gruntfuctock Jones ( Rtd)
Dear Sir Gruntfuttock Jones (Retarded),
Once again I find myself utterly discombobulated by the depth and breadth of your Celtic wisdom; your generosity of spirit is matched only by your achievement of High Office - to my (albeit limited) knowledge thou art but the Second Admiral of the Roath - the first , of course, being Sir Taffy Longthinknobblykneedkeeperofthegoldenleekgochgochgoch (aka Jonesy). I concede Sir, and look forward to your entry in the Readers Digest Hall of Fame.
Yours Obseqiously
Cy Nic (Prof (Retd))

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Sorry to but in on your thread Bob, but your last post opened a dim memory in the recesses of my brain.

Sometime probably in the late 60s my Dad took the family boating in Roath Park. He had an aunt who lived in what I seem to remember was quite a grand house overlooking the Park - I can remember big trees and steps leading up to the front door. I also have a memory of concrete dinosaurs in the Park.

Apologies for the rose-tinted sojourn. Keep up the good work on your ships, but I'm looking forward to the Big Stug....

Nick.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry to but in on your thread Bob, but your last post opened a dim memory in the recesses of my brain.

Sometime probably in the late 60s my Dad took the family boating in Roath Park. He had an aunt who lived in what I seem to remember was quite a grand house overlooking the Park - I can remember big trees and steps leading up to the front door. I also have a memory of concrete dinosaurs in the Park.

Apologies for the rose-tinted sojourn. Keep up the good work on your ships, but I'm looking forward to the Big Stug....

Nick.
Hi Nick, not a problem

It's a lovely place and we live on one of the avenues off the lake, but it's way over due de-silting. There are some big old Victorian houses over looking the lake. I try to walk around the lake most days.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon from Kardiff

Fitted rear and middle decks, front deck section not fitted yet, not bad fit but when the front deck is in place there will be a large gap between front and middle decks, thankfully the wooden deck is designed to cover this! Spot the red glue plus mistakes lol

20220305_152037.jpg20220305_151807.jpg

Started to remove moulded anchor chains. They show a set of smaller anchor chains attached to the main chains no idea why!! Had a look at a few completed KGV's but modellers just add the larger chains? The book on POW does not show these extra chains?
20220305_151914.jpg

Got some drilling to do and chiselling off of the other chains!

The monster PE set comes with the lids for the various deck loading hatches, will try to fit them before priming in Mr surface.

Starting to look like a big battleship now!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Further to the anchor chain layout, here's a pic of Duke of York, same as KGV with the smaller chain
20220306_095738.jpg
However the Kagero book I have on POW shows single chains?? Cannot find a photo of POW forecastle so Cannot check. But Cannot see why POW would be different to KGV & DoY??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I have understood correctly, the small chains you refer to are those coming off the anchor chain like a branch.
These are "safely chains" that secure the anchor chain. They are there to prevent the anchors dropping in the event of the anchor chains winch breaks failing.
Pretty much all battleships and other large ships have them in some form or the other.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If I have understood correctly, the small chains you refer to are those coming off the anchor chain like a branch.
These are "safely chains" that secure the anchor chain. They are there to prevent the anchors dropping in the event of the anchor chains winch breaks failing.
Pretty much all battleships and other large ships have them in some form or the other.
Afternoon Ian, many thanks for the info

Can now see the reason, but never seen them that visible. The PE set does come with chains plus the extras with them but they are as flat as the old pancake!

I have ordered some 1 700 chain to hopefully replicate them. Most built ones just fit single chains

Thanks again, Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ton of PE underway. Swear skip ready lol

Very, very basic start, the decks are covered in lumps of plastic representing loading hatches etc. So fitted lids, lot still to do!
20220307_165116.jpg20220307_165057.jpg
Had first go at cable/hose reel

Not bad, but much room for improvement. Think both are a big improvement over the kit bits.

finally learnt that you only need a tiny blob of CA, took a while lol

Slow by steady lol, can really see why ships can take a while to make!20220307_123048.jpg

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bugger, just noticed in 1st photo the lower large hatch is Cockeyed. That's why I need slower glue!! Just managed to remove it.