Tamiya 1/48 Avro Lancaster B Mkiii

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Carl
Will build into a big model. Is this the old kit from the 1970s?
Jim

D

Deleted member 7917

Crikey Carl, that builds into a monster kit. At 1/48 my calculator says the model's wingspan is 64.5cms. I don't think I could find anywhere to display it. Certainly wouldn't fit in either of my display cabinets.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It is essentially the old kit. It makes a nice Lancaster with a bit of huffing and puffing. It's been years since I built one and the only real issue I can remember was the fit of the engine nacelles. I wish I could remember exactly what, I think there was a better way of doing them than following the instructions :smiling3:

I definitely invested in masks for all the 'glass', three turrets, bomb aimer's blister and that huge canopy made them well worthwhile. I think Eduard do/did them. I'm not at all scared of masking, but they saved me literally hours of tedium.

Best of luck, I'll be cheering from the side lines!

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great kit - fantastic aircraft.

Always love a Lanc whatever the scale. :thumb2: :thumb2:

Link for canopy masks :-
(fleaBay I'm afraid).

Mask

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
First Name
Carl
Crikey Carl, that builds into a monster kit. At 1/48 my calculator says the model's wingspan is 64.5cms. I don't think I could find anywhere to display it. Certainly wouldn't fit in either of my display cabinets.
I hang them on the wall from picture hooks. I think they look good like that and I have more wall Space than shelves although the wife draws the line in the lounge.lol

First Name
Carl
It is essentially the old kit. It makes a nice Lancaster with a bit of huffing and puffing. It's been years since I built one and the only real issue I can remember was the fit of the engine nacelles. I wish I could remember exactly what, I think there was a better way of doing them than following the instructions :smiling3:

I definitely invested in masks for all the 'glass', three turrets, bomb aimer's blister and that huge canopy made them well worthwhile. I think Eduard do/did them. I'm not at all scared of masking, but they saved me literally hours of tedium.

Best of luck, I'll be cheering from the side lines!
Yep, I have already bought the masks although you get the option of pre paint canopies or ones you do your self. Ideally I’d like to use the pre painted bit it depends on the paint match which I suspect is not the same.image.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! That's definitely some new bits since I last built one.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I love it. Not easy to work with but you’ve made a great job of it.

First Name
Carl
I’m after some advice from those who may have already built this model
Themselves. Beside the pilot seat in the cockpit there is a pull down seat in the instructions. However, I have used some the etched parts and one such part which I can’t identify sits over where the seat would go. Now either the etched box section is the seat or else it’s a slightly different setup. Or do you have to mod the Tamiya stock seat to for back in this space some how. I have shown the Tamiya instructions below plus some pictures of my setup with black etched parts in place and one showing roughly where the stock seat would have been fitted.
image.jpgEF2BD50A-E862-4E24-A24B-58A0F1F5D3B4.jpegD2441330-08B1-49CD-B390-72276D057E56.jpeg
thanks in advance, Carl

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Carl,

Never built the Lanc at this scale - but looking at the instructions the part #B17 is the seat, this folds up and the "leg" #B10 supports it in the open or up position. There is a smaller cushion or seat back as can be seen in this picture fastened to the fuselage to the left side of the engineers panel;-

seat.jpg

No doubt someone will be along shortly with the correct answer for you!! :smiling:

HTH

Paul.

First Name
Carl
Carl,

Never built the Lanc at this scale - but looking at the instructions the part #B17 is the seat, this folds up and the "leg" #B10 supports it in the open or up position. There is a smaller cushion or seat back as can be seen in this picture fastened to the fuselage to the left side of the engineers panel;-

View attachment 406042

No doubt someone will be along shortly with the correct answer for you!! :smiling:

HTH

Paul.
I agree and as you say it definately folded up. I can never quite get a full picture of the seat, like yours it shows only part and in the photo your attached it looks like it’s in landscape rather than portrait position which differs from the Tamiya position. Also no top
Cushion on the Tamiya model.
I may need to do some scratch work (not something i have done much of).
Carl