Tamiya 1;48 Mosquito

K

Keith9657

I havent posted any of my builds so far. I got a new camera last year and I'm still trying to figure out the lenses. I'd tried to photograph some others but the results were abysmal. Anyway, I think I've got it sorted now so I thought I'd put up my latest build, Tamiya's 48th scale Mosquito, a plane I have always loved and hope to do justice to. I have added some PE but other than that it will be OOB. I'd like the 24th scale one by Airfix but we'll see how this goes first!

View attachment 44951View attachment 44950View attachment 44952View attachment 44953

The build itself has gone quite well with no hidden surprises. (Why did I just say that?) I'll add other photos as I progress.

Keith

View attachment 48099

View attachment 48100

View attachment 48101

View attachment 48102

bay.jpg

cockpit.jpg

wheels primed.jpg

wheel painted.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Keith great looking Mossie,the office detail is awesome!

T

tecdes

Hi Keith. Looking good. Nice aircraft to build unless like me you chose Revell. Still good but hope you have a better passage.

Landing gear is really detailed on this aircraft. I left a panel on the landing gear on the tarmace so you could see the gear otherwise it is all hidden : shame.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great build so far Keith some nice detailing going on there!

Vaughan

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice start Keith. Be interesting to see how this Tamiya kits compares to the Revell one that Oggy is on with. That one seems dogged with problems.

K

Keith9657

Thanks for your kind comments, guys. Especially as I have admired the kits you have all displayed since I joined the forum last year. I have thought about Oggy's build as I have made my way through my own kit, particularly in his comments about the undercarriage. The Tamiya version seems to have fitted well, as so many of their kits do. My main problem was the PE on the undercarriage, which I hadnt noticed had become unseated until I photographed it. There's nothing like a photo or a coat of paint to show up something you've missed! The gear was dry fitted and I found it sat nicely with no real problems. It feels a fairly solid fit but I'm taking no chances as accidents may/will happen and it will be the last thing to be glued into place.

I've chosen to build it with the crew door and bomb bay open so fingers crossed it will continue in the way it has up to now.

Keith

B

Buttonman

Hi Keith

Just a little gen on your cammera lens use the one with the lowest Macro which in laymans turms means thats how close you can get to the item, Try to use a tripod and bounce light rather than straight on.

Really nice build as well,Keep practicing with your camera i take it it's digital so knock yourself out and show us some of your other builds.

Cheers

Martin

O

Oggy

Nice job so far.

I'm watching this one having had much grief with the Revell kit. First impression is that in some places this is more detailed than the Revell. For example the retraction jack is a jack not a stick. I also found it easier to get the parts off the sprues in one piece with the Tamiya I built last.

As to the photos they do not look bad to me. One or two may benefit from a larger F number which would put more in focus.

T

tecdes

Yes you are right Roger greater depth of field. Also a fault which I have getting in too close & not within the lens minimum focus distance & out of focus.

To get good close ups. If you have a photo programme. Best thing is to take photos at a high resolution but well within the lens min focus distance ie further away form subject (should be in the instructions). Then in your edit programme enlarge the area required. Save at a lower resolution for publication. Takes more time but really shows the detail. Must try it some time !

Alternative to buy a magnifier to fit on the front of the lense. Not sure but this may restrict focusing distance.

Laurie

K

Keith9657

I'm using a Nikon DSLR with a telephoto lens which has a macro facility. My standard 50mm lens just didnt seem to do the job. The telephoto is a Tamron 70-300mm zoom with a macro switch. My first results were either everything blurred except the point of focus or in focus but with camera shake. The results posted were taken with a tripod attached but initially I still got a bit of shake. I am now using the tripod and firing the camera on delayed shutter. They are a lot better than my first efforts. I think the photos were taken with a 4.5 or 5.6 aperture setting though I may be wrong. I will have to go for the longer exposure next time with a smaller aperture. Good point about cropping the picture, Laurie. I'd never considered that. I'll give it a go for next time. I hadn't read Roger's Mosquito thread when I started the build. As I said previously, I have always loved the Mosquito and only got that one because I saw it in Hobbycraft for about £20. If I had seen the Revell one I might well have been going through the same things as Roger!

Keith

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start keith, its a beautiful kit to build isnt it . I only added p.e. belts to mine , the detail straight from the box is fantastic. I can honestly say its the best fitting , best engineered kit ive ever built (or seen ,actually!) keep up the great work , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice. You can't beat a Mosquito.

K

Keith9657

View attachment 45064View attachment 45065I built the wings earlier and slipped them on today. A pretty good fit with just the minimum of filling required. I dont think there's much more I can till its had a coat of paint. The canopy is masked etc. so I expect it will progress swiftly along now. I'll probably post a photo later. I've been playing with the camera trying to get the settings right.

Here's a quick photo for Buttonman. I didnt know whether to post it in the completed section, Roman's photography thread or the biggest mistake you've had with a model thread. I loved building this but my biggest mistake was leaving my stuff with grandson when I went to the toilet. On my return two minutes later he had painted my Thunderbolt in a thick black wash. It was like tar! It has taken me months to get it off and there is some damage to the kit which I am putting right bit by bit.

Hopefully these are better photos which will help when I post the next Mossie ones.

Keith

View attachment 48189

View attachment 48190

jug.jpg

pit.jpg

O

Oggy

Hi Keith.

What software are you using for your pictures? Something is stripping the "Exif" data (details of how the photo was taken) and without this, it is harder to help. Adobe's "save for the web" does this as do some hosts.

K

Keith9657

I use Corel Paintshop Pro x2. How does the picture look to you? Is it still blurred? I used an f stop of 32 so there should be a good depth of field. I did edit it for colour and brightness but thats all. I was thinking about changing my photo software because it crashes fairly regularly so it might be opportune moment to do it now. Thanks for your input Roger. I'll never know unless someone tells me.

Keith

K

Keith9657

I havent done anything noteworthy since my last post, Roger. A bit of an impasse, really. I'm come across a seam I'm not happy with which shouldnt require too much work. I'm hoping to get back down to it this week though. I'm still working on the photography side as well. I dont want to post if they arent worth looking at.

Keith