Tamiya 1;48 Mosquito

T

tecdes

Difficult without all the detail Keith . Couple of things may improve.

The cockpit photo. As said before I suspect that you are outside the focus limit of the lens ie to close.

The overall of the aircraft picture. The silver is causing havoc as it is so reflective. Two things may help. Do away with direct lighting on the subject. Bounce light off a white ceiling or white card placed at the side. The old trick was a white umberella.

The other is if you have a gamma adjustment in your amour in the software try using this to enhance the lighting of the photo. Much better than using brightness & contrast as gamma has a relatively even effect.

As you have a NIKON I suspect they have a free editing programme for download. I got with my Olympus a first rate easy to use (except the filing system or is it me take your pick) editing process. Takes from importing to the camera through editing & including printing. They are always up dating the programme with improvements.

Laurie

A great aid is a polarizing filter as this does away & is adjustable reflections but is not any good for metal.

If you have a UV filter try this. Also good idea to have it fixed permanently as it will protect the camera lens.

Last edited:
O

Oggy

Polarising filters work best in sunlight and UVs are of very little use on DSLRs as they have UVs built in.

A simple but effective photo manipulation program is available free here. Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

If you are using a flash try setting your camera to manual, F8 or 10 at 1/120 or 1/180 seconds. I do not have Nikon, but as far as I can see, the minimum focal distance of yout 50mm is about 45cm. Do not worry too much about filling the viewfinder - the definition of most modern digital cameras will allow you to blow up part of your picture and still have plenty of detail - for example here is a fairly ordinary picture of an F86 -

...and here is a close up from it -

It would be easier to help if you post some pictures.

Are you on any photo forums?

Sorry - forgot to say, the advantage of taking pictures from further back is that you get a greater depth of focus.

Last edited:
K

Keith9657

Rogers post the othe day has given me a little bit of a poke and decided I'd better crack on. I've put the wings on and given it a first coat of paint. That usually helps! I have a little bit of a seam issue on the upper fuselage. It runs through a hatch and filler cap (I think). If I sand it out I'll lose the detail so I'd rather have the little bit of seam. I've also dry fitted the gear and ladder just to see how it sits. I'm fairly happy with the way its going so far. Here's a couple of photos I took today.

View attachment 45360View attachment 45361

Laurie, I got my Nikon disk out to have a look at what editing software is on ther and there is one but its pretty basic. Its much like Windows Picture Manager. I may have another one somewhere. I'l have to get into the cupboard and search.

Keith

Keith

View attachment 48458

View attachment 48459

table.jpg

ladder.jpg

O

Oggy

Sorry - I hadn't meant to poke you. :oops: :wink:

Looks to be coming along nicely. Pictures look good too.

IIRC, you have to download the Nikon software from their site.

B

Buttonman

Coming along real nice bro over come your prob's you'll find a way to remove the seams bolly bolly try a broken tipped knife tip sharpened to get in the nooks and crannies nice and steady

With all the work you've done buddy .

Martin

T

tecdes

Did you prick the decal in the silvering area lots of times before applying the Microsol/set Keith.

Did you use Micro Set, Blue Bottle, or Micro Sol the pink bottle. The micro sol pink is more potent but care is needed.

Very nice finish Keith it looks really good & will make a good centre piece to any collection.

Laurie

K

Keith9657

The Mossie's X Box has two 'Keep off' decals which are superimposed on top of it. I did the box a couple of days ago to let it dry properly first. I saw immediately that it was going to silver and I kept going back with the blue bottle. I used the pink bottle prior to applying the keep off decals. They went on easy enough but I was using a different brush to the one I usually use (probably stiffer) and the next thing I knew was the hole appeared. I didnt prick it to begin with as i wasnt sure if it was going to help or make it worse. I could mask and paint it but doubt I would get the right colour match. A new set of decals is a bit drastic for one decal but it annoys me enough so I might have to bite the bullet! The canopy is only sitting on top at the moment as I prefer to put it on last thing.

Keith

M

mobear

try and make a feature of it with a bit of wear and tear next to it and on it,apart from that its fab mate

mobear

T

tecdes

Another alternative Keith. Did you get alternative recognition letters & numbers that I had with the Revell Mosquito.

For instance there is a K in mine which is the same colour as the box decal. If you have it may be worth a try to carefully cut a piece off & splice it in. Should try it on a spare piece before going for it for real.

Matter of interest I only use the Microsol & Set if necessary after I have placed the decals into position & found the decal needs to be softened to mould themselves or if I have a bit of silvering. Most silvering I have found is due to not applying enough gloss as a base for the decal. I use the water on the decal after soaking to position. Found with horrible experience that the use of the Microsol & Set can be a disaster if used liberally.

Laurie

C

capt-pugwash

Very nice build Keith,I also have this model tucked away for a future build so looking forward to see how yours turns (hope mine turns out as nice as yours) ,n1 mate.

jeff.

K

Keith9657

I might get away with the spare decals. I have a nice 'B' I could slice up. I did consider Ole's suggestion of the wear and tear by adding another ladder and turning it into a small diorama but my figure painting leaves a lot to be desired. There's a good reason there are no pilots in my planes! It is a nice kit to build Jeff and it went together very well with little trouble. I've enjoyed building it so far. I'm sure yours will turn out great.

Keith

C

capt-pugwash

to edit the photos you could also try gimp its the full program and is free and very good.

Last edited:
K

Keith9657

I hate to think what result googling 'gimp' might return!

Keith

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Those keep off crosses are a pain in the bum aren't they!

Micro set, the Blue one, is ok to put down under the decal as, as the name implies, it is a setting solution. Yes it will soften the decal to a degree. Micro Sol, the red bottle, is the one that dissolves the decal...the clue being SOL as in solvent. That's the one that REALLY softens decals and buggers them up with out warning. Either it works or it destroys the decal ! I have found that the excess film can be cut away with a new fine pointed scalpel before application. It does make them a bit prone to breaking though.

Your Mossy is looking very good. Don't forget the red dot though...

Ian M

C

CDW

\ said:
Red dot?Keith
I would imagin Ian's refering to the little red dot, centered in the white section of the roundel on the side decal of the fuselage, there isn't one there in your images.

K

Keith9657

As soon as I looked at it this morning it was staring me in the face! I was so preoccupied with the X Box I had totally forgotten it! Many thanks.

Keith

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:laughing: I just knew that would have you scratching your head.

Ian M