Tank repair - somewhere in Korea

C

CDW

Thanks for the comments chaps:smiling3:

\ said:
Whats next?
Either the crash scene from BlackHawk down with all the burnt out cars etc and extraction figures ..... or a nice little simple dio with a captured M5-A1 Stuart and some North Korean tankies ...... or the huey in 20th special ops livery ... not decided yet.

Whatever it is i'll have to get this camera sussed on the phone ... and i'll appologise for the images here as i just uploaded as per usual thinking they were ok, as Ole pointed out, they're not all good...... just upgraded the operating system and the camera qualitiesnot great ... loads of people moaning about it on the Bada forums ... it was really swish on the old OS too.

First Name
Aaron
I wonder if my eyesight is bung because the pics look good to me i can see the smallest detail in them.

Great that you may carry on with more Korean war subjects, Id like to do a t34/85 from that war one day.

The bhd idea is a very interesting one too.

T

treyzx10r

Wow,simply amazing Colin. Everytime I look some new detail jumps out that was previously missed. The whole effort is over the top and well executed a very nicely done dio Sir!!!

P

Polux

Hi Colin!

What a great and fantastic work!! It's breathed effort to achieve details in the whole diorama!! Your scratch habilities are great! I like it so much, a just deserts 5 stars.

Cheers

Polux

C

CDW

Thanks trey and Polux :smiling3:

Aaron, i have a diorama swooshing around in the back of my mind with a Korean T34 and maybe a Korean M4A2E8.

I'll be trying to portray the "irony" of the Lend Lease Act originating from WW2

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Top dio bud theres so much going on really busy dio... Nice little details everywhere you must be happy with your self bud

Big 5 from me

Geegad

C

CDW

\ said:
you must be happy with your self bud
I might have had a "yes me" moment. :smiling3:

what means the most is comments like I've got here from modelers that I admire on the forum.

thanks buddy

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
Aaron, i have a diorama swooshing around in the back of my mind with a Korean T34 and maybe a Korean M4A2E8.

I'll be trying to portray the "irony" of the Lend Lease Act originating from WW2
Thats exactly the senairo i saw on history channel where the American infantrys bazookas bounced off t34s "like tennisballs", Then a few "easy8s" turned up and ate the t34s.

C

CDW

I really must make a point in watching this history channel, there seems to be some good stuff on it from what you say.

anyway, what i meant above was, the koreans also utilized E8's so that will be my attempt at an ironic twist.

N

noble

hi Colin this is excellent nice storyline too,5 stars from me too.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff colin, theres so much to look at , fantastic details in every square inch! Your attention to detail and scratch building is excellent , im loving the lights too. Give yourself a big pat on the back mate , and have some more stars! cheers tony

C

CDW

Thanks chaps

Scott, I always think a little story sets the scene for a diorama, hopefully giving the viewer a familiarity with the dio so it feels more realistic.

Tony, it's my partner that often prompts the little extra details,

"your workshop needs lighting so you can see the little bits in there" ... i complete that, then i get ..... " it needs a little generator to run the lights doesn't it?"

She has no interest in our hobby itself, but takes an interest with the builds for my benefit, which is nice.

F

funkyrimpler

ive arrived late to this thread as usual, but colin, that is one mental dio. as everyone has echoed, great backstory and attention to detail. my favourite aspects are the things like the tools, aerial etc..and i love the corrugated metal. some really good textures and finishes. i had to chuckle when i saw the fruit bowl on the kitchen work top in the background. it 'takes you out' of the scene like when a mic bobs into shot on a TV shot.

what i really appreciate about dioramas (even though ive never attempted one...yet), particularly well researched and executed dios are the imagination of bringing so many aspects together, scratch building parts and the details upon details to create a miniture world. its both very charming , but very absorbing for the observer. building these dios in a sense is 'real' model making. it encompasses every aspect of model making from concept, tools, techniques, final execution and displaying.

great stuff colin...im going to have a nosey at some of your other creations!

C

CDW

I thought this thread had run its course.

thanks very much for the kind words, makes the effort in building it worthwhile.

N

noble

\ said:
Ok then i'm calling this finished (but with room for little extras i see fit to add in the future:smiling3:)Sorry there's a few images.....here we go .....

The Longest stay at one location for any MASH unit was 29th may 1951 to 17th sept 1951 (they often bugged out and moved forward and backwards as needed, although, as ever... just behind the main lines),

The MASH Motorpool/workshop was often covered with canvas showing a red cross, not for deception but for the fact it was predominently used for ambulance repair and service.

As there was no rail transportation available, and hardly any substatial bridges on the main roads .... after a heavy rain, supply trucks were frequently held up for several days until the streams went down enough to permit the trucks to ford them, some of these trucks would visit a nearby MASH workshop for service before making the trip back to majour cities such as Seoul.

The Story behind the diorama.

A sherman arrives, limping with a temporary repair to its track, the engineers at the motor pool are suprised to find the occupants of the tank are British (belonging to the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars), they explain that they found the Sherman abandoned after walking several miles, their own Cromwell being destroyed by artillery fire two days earlier.

The Sherman carries Russian markings and a few alterations to the inside, North Korean armour was normally begged, stolen or borrowed from anywhere, the workshop engineers start the task of painting the markings out and repairing the track.

The engineers already have a jeep undergoing repair on a rear wheel but, by order, main armour takes priority in the motorpool ... taking precidence over even the most important medical vehicles.... sad state of affairs concerning the emergency vehicles but thats the way of the war.

View attachment 45690View attachment 45707View attachment 45708View attachment 45714View attachment 45715View attachment 45716View attachment 45717View attachment 45718View attachment 45719View attachment 45720View attachment 45721View attachment 45709View attachment 45710View attachment 45711View attachment 45712View attachment 45713View attachment 45691View attachment 45692View attachment 45693View attachment 45694View attachment 45695View attachment 45696View attachment 45697View attachment 45698View attachment 45699View attachment 45700View attachment 45701View attachment 45702View attachment 45703View attachment 45704View attachment 45705View attachment 45706
Quality stuff colin and a big 5 stars from me, lots to look at and a storyline too.

scott

S

Sky Raider

WOW. another one i missed. What an amazing build mate. Fantastic work as usual.

Cheers

Andy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Saw the start of your build Colin, but missed the end, Wow mate, double WOW, what a fantastic dio. Buildings, a tank, a jeep, foliage, people and animals, and all those scratched tools and stuff. A diorama to be proud of.

5 stars from me yoo/

Tony.

C

CDW

Scott Andy Tony thanks very much.

hopefully the MASH dio I have underway will get comments like these.

I'll be back on it after I've had a break doing the bonus SIG Ian's just dropped on us :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: