The Motorbike Thread

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I got my first "big" bike in 1964, a Norton Dominator 88 all of 500cc.
View attachment 422907
Note the up to the minute gear, studded donkey jacket and huge gauntlets. I had to get that bike on hire purchase as it cost £74 and my father had to sign as guarantor.
Sold this one today, 1986 Honda XBR 500 G.
View attachment 422908
I bought it 12 years ago and it had a great engine but was cosmetically in poor condition so I ran it for a few miles then stripped it fully and restored it to its former glory. Over the years I have had too many bikes to remember but keep going back to Honda as they are just so well buit and reliable, present bike is a 2016 Honda NC 750X DCT which I bought new and 58443 miles later it runs as well as the day I got it.

Andy.
Noncey colour for the discard but love the 'Retro' IOM imagery!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gern, way back yonder I had an Itom 50cc racer - gear change on the 'other' side, racing seat. knee grip tank, and scary 'lift the front wheel in third (5 speed box!) acceleration. Probably worth a small fortune now. Screamed like a banshee as you went through the revs = also no good for going to work on!
Wow, I wrote to the importers in my youth asking for details, never had a reply. That name has always stayed with me along with the name Kreidler.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Some lovely bikes and great pics that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at!

I started with a Ducati 998S, then got a Honda VFR400R (NC24) in Rothman's colours, BMW R80 and just added a 2002 GSXR 750 to them.

Currently the VFR400R is in bit being rebuilt, R80 will be a cafe racer and the other two are almost as factory standard and condition wise.

I just need a license really and then will be away. They make nice ornaments though and I enjoy tinkering with them!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I used to have an AprillIa rs125, two stroke derestricted, extremely nimble and rode it thinking i was Valentino rossi, great fun, those where the days :smiling:
Never did get round to doing my test which I do regret but probably never will now.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Had a few since I started riding in '84 when I was 17. I will see if I can remember them:
Suzuki gp100
Suzuki gsx 250 X2
Suzuki gsx 550
Honda CD 175
Honda CB 400
Kawasaki z 200 (rat bike)
Honda CB 550 (chop)
Kawasaki z 400 (chop)
Honda VT 500
Kawasaki GT 750
Yamaha xj 750 (us import)
The VT was written off by a car driver who pulled out on me. I was only doing 20 mph. Nearly lost my leg with that one. The 2 750s came about 4 years after the crash. Don't ride now. Still love 'em to bits but got a wife and family to think about. Would love a Honda cbx 1000. Nice big 6 cylinder jobbie. Going for silly money.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Nice list of bikes Paul. I had a GSX550 for a couple of years, it took me and my lady for our first trip on the Continent when we went to the Bol d'Or at Paul Ricard in 1984. Here's a pic of the bike soon after purchase:

20200515_095744.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I miss my bikes every spring. Not so much in the winter though. Never owned one in Demark, to expensive! I have had a few though, in my misspent youth.
Had a couple Elsies both the original not the power valve one. A black one bog standard, and a white one which was a bit special, wire rims, strait bars, single seat, and a motor tuned to within an inch of its life. Went like stink. (Had it up to 130 which was ok for a little 350).
Had a cbx550 for the winter and touring on. Took an LC from Kent to Cornwall once. Couldn't fell my bum for a week lol. Hence the cbx. Scraped that down the road one day on the way to work. We survived but the tank and fairing got a bit ragged.

Pop quiz, which bike did I get a speeding ticket on. The CBX. Stopped on the M2 for doing 80 !
Would I have a bike again.... At my age I don't bounce so much, just break, so probably not. Besides I would not have it, or a licence very long. New law in DK. break the speed limit by more than 50% and they can take your car/mc.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice list of bikes Paul. I had a GSX550 for a couple of years, it took me and my lady for our first trip on the Continent when we went to the Bol d'Or at Paul Ricard in 1984. Here's a pic of the bike soon after purchase:

View attachment 424345
Same colour as mine. Mine was the full fairing model. Read a test report about them once. They said the 16" front wheel made it twitchy handling. Never noticed myself and used to get mine virtually laid down on corners.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There was a Honda with that undercarriage configuration once; I always thought it would have some 'interesting' handling so was never tempted!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
20210713_161415.jpgGreat thread, @therapy .

My dear old dad was mechanically useless, never learned to drive (or ride) and thoroughly disapproved of me riding bikes.

But on a good day, when I was polishing my RD350LC, I persuaded him to sling his leg over it and took a snap. It's a family favourite picture of him - so atypical.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Welcome along Paul. Here's a couple of pics of my foray into Kawasaki triples in around 1982.

Firstly the nearly new KH400 I bought a few months after getting knocked off my 350LC:

KH400.jpg

And here's the S3 400 that was up for sale nearby. I paid about 300 quid for this one, but it was a bit scruffy and I did have the engine in bits at some point:

S3 400.jpg

Nick.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Interesting! I got the 350LC immediately AFTER the KH400, which was nicked. The LC also got nicked a year or two later - the only two bikes that ever got stolen from me.

The KH I bought off a mate who'd stacked it, fortunately (for me) taking the brunt of the damage on his knee - there was a big knee-shaped dent in the tank. It was also missing a side panel, but once those were replaced it was pretty-much perfect. He'd not done many miles on it and had lavished care on it - it was a real beauty.
It didn't go round corners very well, but in a straight line it was fabulous. I used to commute from SE London to the City on it. I always prayed I'd get caught at the lights on the north side of London Bridge - then I could open it up across the bridge, smothering the whole bridge in a cloud of two-stroke oil! Shocking really, but nothing comes close to a two-stroke for me.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Nick the wife an i were bikers back in the late 70 's an some pics on my honda 250 super dream IMG_6390.JPG lovely an comfy bike to ride an fast too but she would not hit a ton