"There's an old mill by the stream, Nelly Dean!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Younger members probably won't recognise the title. To you older ones, I only know the Rugby Song version!!

Hello folks....

I had reached a blank for a diorama idea when I passed an old mill recently, complete with water wheel, and Bingo! What a great subject to have a bash at, so......

It's 1/72 scale, and is just my imagination running riot and not a copy of anything. I alway start dios. with just a rough idea of what I want, then things happen as I go along. I never plan to the 'enth degree, as I find the great thing with unplanned dioramas is the chopping, changing and yes, binning, as ideas come along.

I hope you join in the fun as I attempt to come up with something. It might have some military in it, I don't know yet.....I've been pootling away at it for a couple of weeks now, so this is the first installment of the story so far.

O.k., let's make a start. As usual all the material is for free, scrounged or dead cheap anyway. I found some pieces of polystyrene and an old cork notice board at our local tip - sorry, Re-cycling Center! This formed the base. Then, with some shed paint, I roughly painted where I wanted the water to flow and made a paper template of my imaginary mill building.

First stage. The rough painting of the water and the paper template...plus my wee man!

View attachment 82119

Next a thin layer of polystyrene glued down with PVA for the lower river bank and mill race...

View attachment 82120

Thicker poly. formed the top level....See my mysterious plung pool? I didn't spot it 'till I'd stuck the piece down....Hey ho!

View attachment 82121

Then the top water course was formed, complete with weir. ( More on this later!) I also cut my template to suit the contours a bit better and to get the wheel summat like for height. View attachment 82122

You can see how it is starting to take some form now. I'm never fussy about how rough it looks at this stage 'cos now I'm getting a 'feel' for the scene anything can happen and usually does!

I hope you approve of this initial stage and all comments and suggestions are always welcome as we have some fun and roll along into the unknown together.......

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 002.jpg

The Old Mill 003.jpg

The Old Mill 005.jpg

The Old Mill 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will definately watch this! I like the idea and how you show the progress, so we all can learn from the pro:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Where we used to sit and dream, Nelly Dean......

Well I'll be watching this little dream of a dio come together.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Ron always a treat to watch you work your magic! Off to a great start,eagerly awaiting the next update!

P

Polux

Magnificent start Ron!

Nice to see another of your masterpiece ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I see another great dio coming Ron :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i will be watching this one as well Ron, im a little the same get an idea, but it never turns out as what i started with, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts for the start of my diorama folks. Get's me in the right mood!

O.k., I forgot there was no way for the fish to get upstream, so I scrapped the weir and made a salmon leap....then they can jump into the plunge pool - I really must get rid of that!

View attachment 82216

View attachment 82217

Next up the start of the building. First a paper template to get the wheel the right scale, then transferred to a piece of my fav. polystyrene pizza base.

View attachment 82218

Try for a fit......

View attachment 82219

Then mark out the stonework and any doors and windows. This is very straight forward....

A- Using a pencil and steel rule, mark out the horizontal lines.

B- Mark the vertical joints freehand, staggering the joints in a random fashion.

C- Go over all the pencil lines freehand with a modelling knife - this ensures a slightly wobbly line to the stonework seams.

View attachment 82220

Next up more stonework and a bit more of my method of doing the same...Then that Wheel!!!

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 015.jpg

The Old Mill 016.jpg

The Old Mill 008.jpg

The Old Mill 007.jpg

The Old Mill 010.jpg

L

Laurie

Another master piece Ron.

But so disappointed in you not knowing the words !

Used to sing this at school.

There's an old mill by the stream,

Nellie Dean!

Where we used to sit and dream,

Nellie Dean!

And the waters as they flow

Seem to murmur soft and low.

You're my heart's desire.

I love you,

Nellie Dean! Sweet Nellie Dean

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicely Ron,and a nice afterthought, with the salmon leap ,the side off the mill looks good as well :rolleyes:

your lucky to get polystyrene pizza base, we get soggie cardboard boxs :confused:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
See the last photo? I needed to lengthen the stonework.

To avoid a continual straight line join, here's how I did it...It can obviously be used for as long or high a piece of wall as you want.

View attachment 82224

View attachment 82225

Here is the section placed roughly in position. I then added the outer mill race wall.

View attachment 82226

View attachment 82227

The outer stream wall was then added......Nothing is glued, just loose fitted.

View attachment 82228

Note the indents in the stone, this is achieved by simply gently pushing in at random the 'pieces of stone' with something the right size.

View attachment 82229

A small section was then fitted to tie in the end stone work

View attachment 82230

All the stone walls were then given a wash of grey acrylic...See how the joints have come to life?

View attachment 82231

Except for painting proper, that's basically it for the mill race and stonework......or is it?!!

Next up the bit I was dreading....The wheel itself!

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 017.jpg

The Old Mill 018.jpg

The Old Mill 019.jpg

The Old Mill 020.jpg

The Old Mill 021.jpg

The Old Mill 022.jpg

The Old Mill 024.jpg

The Old Mill 025.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Monica and Laurie our posts crossed.....Thanks for your input.

Laurie, the only words I know wouldn't get past the censors....full stop!!

Monica, this is what we both find with our dios......Coming up with ideas and alterations as we progress....Don't you love it?

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

Chugged by in the memory and we used to be a bit sarcastic.

Ours was. O Nellie Dean in a mournful slow pace. But we were such gentlemen ???? we did not alter the words. Although one or two Christmas carols got some hilarious treatment.

Laurie

P

Polux

Yep! Great work so far Ron ;)

I'm with Moni!! Here we only get cardboard boxs as well :confused:

You are a lucky man :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Yep! Great work so far Ron ;) I'm with Moni!! Here we only get cardboard boxs as well :confused:

You are a lucky man :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Hey mi amigo, it's not the boxes that are made of polystyrene, but the actual base the pizza sits on when in the box......possibly to stop the pizza bending and breaking.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow that brick work looks great,I,m glad that you are showing how too as you go along as its a great help for us/me, :rolleyes:

in scratch building, walls,

I do agree Ron and I think that's what makes a good dio in the end, you start out with an idea, but it turns around completely ;)

looking forward to next update and keep up the great work, always lean some think off everone hear which is great :D