"There's an old mill by the stream, Nelly Dean!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
And where do you get large pizza's for a quid??
Li**, we regularily get them.....usually two in a box for around £2 odd. You sound surprised Patrick?

Serves you right for living in 'The Smoke'. Things is right cheap up North! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Enough pizza talk, it's making me hungry.....

Thanks again for the excellent and very complimentary comments on my mill wheel. They made all the hair pulling and unsavoury language seem worth while!!!!

Let's move on.

Now the dio. is taking a bit of form, some ideas are coming through into me noggin'.

To break up the building wall a bit, I decided to make a drying room on the first floor, so here is the stage build of this.....

Simple enough, made from coffee stirrers and thin plastic strips cut at random widths and stuck on none too neat to try and get a haphazard, neglected effect.....

View attachment 82314

View attachment 82315

View attachment 82316

Then placed on the top temp. to see if it looked right....You may have noticed the front wall has been cut right down, more on this later......

View attachment 82317

Also, I built up the stone support for the wheel axle...

View attachment 82318

I also closed up the top bit of wall

View attachment 82319

Next up, I'll finish the mill building walls etc.

Cheers all,

Ron

The Old Mill 001.jpg

The Old Mill 003.jpg

The Old Mill.jpg

The Old Mill 005.jpg

The Old Mill 006.jpg

The Old Mill 004.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking grate Ron, ;) , coming together, well, cannot wait to see what you do next, :rolleyes:

real do like the stone work you have done, i real must have a go at that one day, :confused:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
real do like the stone work you have done, i real must have a go at that one day, :confused:
Thanks Monica, but why do that when your own stonework is so good?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Ron, I do like the look of the way ,you do yours, maybe quicker and less mess,:rolleyes:

and always nice to have a couple off difference methods ;)

T

treyzx10r

Wow you are cranking right along on this one Ron and its looking superb! Really nice lay out with the stone work!

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well this is turning out quite impressive, looking forward to the next installment ;)

Lee :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your comments folks.

Trey, don't forget bud, off and on, this is a couple of weeks work I'm condensing into a few pages, until I get up to date with the build......

Right, the Mill building. Radical rethinking and alteration - Don't worry about doing this, it's all part of the fun, and is almost expected somewhere down the line.....

For now, I've dispensed with the left hand side of the building. There was too much flat wall and it didn't look right.

Also, I've removed a large portion of the outer mill race wall...too much stone and it seemed to over power the mill wheel and building.

Here's the removal!

View attachment 82372

This shows the mill 'Kit' ready for assembly, then painting / weathering.

View attachment 82373

The building stuck together, the wheel added and placed dry to see what's what.....I've rested the cut off part of the building on the mill just to check I've done right by removing it......See the lowered outer wall? I think it gives a better balance...Too late to alter now!

View attachment 82374

Happy with it, I've applied another coat of acrylic paint and added a cardboard roof ready for tiling.

View attachment 82375

Here is the weathering on the mill up to now.....Always tilt the walls about 45 degrees, never flat, and do your brush work vertical, never across. Slosh the paint on and let it run down where it wants. This will show a natural water/ weather flow. Paint horizontal, and it will show through, no matter what you try, and it will look awful.....

See the darker grey splodge bit on the right of the cement work? It wasn't intentional, it just happened as the paint flowed down the polystyrene, but it looks great!

View attachment 82376

View attachment 82377

View attachment 82378

Finally, a quick word on the cut down outer mill wall...

I had a pleasant surprise with this. Because I cut down the wall, I had to break the poly. block to suit, and by accident came up with a great stone rubble texture...So apart from painting, I'm leaving it well alone.

View attachment 82379

That's it for this stage, next up bits and bobs and more brain storms, leading to more major alterations and additions!!!!!

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers all,

Ron

The Old Mill 011.jpg

The Old Mill 012.jpg

The Old Mill 013.jpg

The Old Mill 015.jpg

The Old Mill 055.jpg

The Old Mill 018.jpg

The Old Mill 019.jpg

The Old Mill 054.jpg

N

noble

\ said:
Thanks for your comments folks.Trey, don't forget bud, off and on, this is a couple of weeks work I'm condensing into a few pages, until I get up to date with the build......

Right, the Mill building. Radical rethinking and alteration - Don't worry about doing this, it's all part of the fun, and is almost expected somewhere down the line.....

For now, I've dispensed with the left hand side of the building. There was too much flat wall and it didn't look right.

Also, I've removed a large portion of the outer mill race wall...too much stone and it seemed to over power the mill wheel and building.

Here's the removal!

View attachment 82512

This shows the mill 'Kit' ready for assembly, then painting / weathering.

View attachment 82513

The building stuck together, the wheel added and placed dry to see what's what.....I've rested the cut off part of the building on the mill just to check I've done right by removing it......See the lowered outer wall? I think it gives a better balance...Too late to alter now!

View attachment 82514

Happy with it, I've applied another coat of acrylic paint and added a cardboard roof ready for tiling.

View attachment 82515

Here is the weathering on the mill up to now.....Always tilt the walls about 45 degrees, never flat, and do your brush work vertical, never across. Slosh the paint on and let it run down where it wants. This will show a natural water/ weather flow. Paint horizontal, and it will show through, no matter what you try, and it will look awful.....

See the darker grey splodge bit on the right of the cement work? It wasn't intentional, it just happened as the paint flowed down the polystyrene, but it looks great!

View attachment 82516 View attachment 82517 View attachment 82518

Finally, a quick word on the cut down outer mill wall...

I had a pleasant surprise with this. Because I cut down the wall, I had to break the poly. block to suit, and by accident came up with a great stone rubble texture...So apart from painting, I'm leaving it well alone.

View attachment 82519 .

That's it for this stage, next up bits and bobs and more brain storms, leading to more major alterations and additions!!!!!

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers all,

Ron

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning work Ron, real do like the improvements,looks much better, to me :rolleyes:

just that amount off washer have done so much, with the high lights of the stone work;)

P

Polux

I'm afraid to see you build Ron, you are a surprising modeller :D

Terrific :eek:

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking great and as you say the rubble looks really good its nice when these things happen by accident.

Z

Ziper_it

Awesome progress here.

I'm following with a lot of interest.

Francesco

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ron looks like I'm going to be right :smiling3: this is breathtaking , you know what this reminds me of ?

The film the eagle has landed ! That part when the German officer rescues the little girl from the water wheel but gets caught in it himself

As I said in my first post I can see another classic coming along :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent posts, thanks guys and gal.....Talking of gals, I had an area on this dio. that looked a bit empty...Then I saw Monica's excellent stone bridge on her diorama and thought, that's just what I need...Thanks Moni! So here is the stage build of my bridge. A different approach than hers, and one more for 'Scale Models Bridge Building Inc.' ....It's basically the same method as the one in my G.B. "Wait 'till he's on the bridge" diorama.....

First off, make a paper template and cut out the arch and one side only....

View attachment 82566

Fold the paper in half and mark the other side of the bridge parapet....

View attachment 82567

Open out...

View attachment 82568

...and cut. This is a quick way of ensuring both sides of the bridge are more or less the same.

View attachment 82569

Place the template on your material and mark the arch and horizontal lines with a pencil.....

View attachment 82570

Add the vertical joints - staggering these, so none are directly above another......Then gently- no more than scratching the surface - scribe all the joints with a modelling knife.

View attachment 82571

Then using something like a small screwdriver or coffee stirrer, gently push in, at random, your stonework. This will remove the bland surface of your material.....

View attachment 82572

View attachment 82573

Finally cut the piece to fit.....Then make another!!!!!!!

View attachment 82574

View attachment 82575

Very simple method, and it took me about an hour to get to this stage.

Next installment will be the making of the arch, the top road surface and weathering.

I hope this will be of some help to all you budding Thomas Telfords, who might look in!

Cheers all,

Ron

The Old Mill 017.jpg

The Old Mill 020.jpg

The Old Mill 021.jpg

The Old Mill 022.jpg

The Old Mill 023.jpg

The Old Mill 024.jpg

The Old Mill 026.jpg

The Old Mill 027.jpg

The Old Mill 028.jpg

The Old Mill 025.jpg

D

dubster72

Simplicity itself Ron! But somehow I know my attempts won't look quite like yours - it's my childhood & Blue Peter all over again!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The master at work! Top work as ever Ron, wonderful to see you making everyday rubbish come to life. This is superb.

Si:smiling3: