"There's an old mill by the stream, Nelly Dean!"

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Ron, watching with interest. No idea about the song though, must be too young ;)

P

Polux

\ said:
Hey mi amigo, it's not the boxes that are made of polystyrene, but the actual base the pizza sits on when in the box......possibly to stop the pizza bending and breaking.
I konw, I know....

Here there isn't any kind of polystyrene.... the pizza comes directly over the cardboard... :oops:

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
the same hear Polux, not polystyrene,backer,just soggie cardboard :confused: and a soggie pizza :mad: :oops:

think i may have to move back home, :rolleyes:

N

noble

\ said:
Younger members probably won't recognise the title. To you older ones, I only know the Rugby Song version!!Hello folks....

I had reached a blank for a diorama idea when I passed an old mill recently, complete with water wheel, and Bingo! What a great subject to have a bash at, so......

It's 1/72 scale, and is just my imagination running riot and not a copy of anything. I alway start dios. with just a rough idea of what I want, then things happen as I go along. I never plan to the 'enth degree, as I find the great thing with unplanned dioramas is the chopping, changing and yes, binning, as ideas come along.

I hope you join in the fun as I attempt to come up with something. It might have some military in it, I don't know yet.....I've been pootling away at it for a couple of weeks now, so this is the first installment of the story so far.

O.k., let's make a start. As usual all the material is for free, scrounged or dead cheap anyway. I found some pieces of polystyrene and an old cork notice board at our local tip - sorry, Re-cycling Center! This formed the base. Then, with some shed paint, I roughly painted where I wanted the water to flow and made a paper template of my imaginary mill building.

First stage. The rough painting of the water and the paper template...plus my wee man!

View attachment 82215

Next a thin layer of polystyrene glued down with PVA for the lower river bank and mill race...

View attachment 82216

Thicker poly. formed the top level....See my mysterious plung pool? I didn't spot it 'till I'd stuck the piece down....Hey ho!

View attachment 82217

Then the top water course was formed, complete with weir. ( More on this later!) I also cut my template to suit the contours a bit better and to get the wheel summat like for height. View attachment 82218

You can see how it is starting to take some form now. I'm never fussy about how rough it looks at this stage 'cos now I'm getting a 'feel' for the scene anything can happen and usually does!

I hope you approve of this initial stage and all comments and suggestions are always welcome as we have some fun and roll along into the unknown together.......

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Hi Ron yet another masterpiece in the making, a very interesting beginning cant wait to see what you come up with.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks for the continuing support....It's nice to have you along.

With trepidation, and not a clue how to proceed, I turned my attention to the waterwheel, which I suppose in a way, will be the centre piece.

I had a look at pictures of these things, some complicated, others less so. In the end I decided to create my own relatively simple design, which I reckoned would be easier to do than try and copy a real one. It's made from scrap plastic card, coffee stirrers and an RAF Cosford cafe plastic straw for the 'axle'!

After a bit of idea scribbling I came up with this :-

Here are the stages.......

First off I marked a circle from a piece of thin plastic card

View attachment 82267

I didn't want a simple second inner circle, so I came up with this idea and divided the wheel into 8 segments and cut these out. Then I cut a centre hub and marked around the centre with my straw axle to get the right diameter hole, then made some 'spokes' from coffee stirrers........

View attachment 82268

Here is one side finished...Now the other!

View attachment 82269

The second side done and joined to the first with suitable cross members...I was so chuffed with my wheel thus far, that I forgot to make holes for my drinking straw axle......Too late now!!

View attachment 82270

Next I made a scale pattern for the paddles, again from bits of thin plastic card...and cut out 24 of them!

View attachment 82271

This shows the finished bare wheel ready for painting...Because of my previous excitement, I had to make the axle in three bits - a middle and two outers......Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

View attachment 82272

Here is the finished water wheel, painted in a first coat and ready for weathering.

I'm well happy with my first ever go at one, and the design is mine, all mine I tell you!!! lol

View attachment 82273

That's it for the wheel. I'm pleased to have got this part of the diorama behind me, as at first I had no idea how to tackle it.

Mind you, I won't be doing another in a hurry!

Next I will make a start on the mill building.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 029.jpg

The Old Mill 028.jpg

The Old Mill 030.jpg

The Old Mill 031.jpg

The Old Mill 035.jpg

The Old Mill 036.jpg

The Old Mill 042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That wheel looks the biz!

My pizzas come out of the oven on a stone tile. Havent bought a pizza in donkey's years.

How ever, as an alternative to the stuff you use Ron, you can get some foam bord, about 5mm thick which is normally used under laminate flooring.

(Makes great gliders as well...)

I'm going to have to have a go at this building lark one day.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That wheel looks the biz!My pizzas come out of the oven on a stone tile. Havent bought a pizza in donkey's years.

How ever, as an alternative to the stuff you use Ron, you can get some foam bord, about 5mm thick which is normally used under laminate flooring.

(Makes great gliders as well...)

I'm going to have to have a go at this building lark one day.

Ian M
Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like my wheel.....

When I fancy one, I buy the cheap £1.00 large pizza, then pile my own stuff on top of the junk that came on it.

I too have an oven stone to cook them on, it looks rather like a flattened plate.

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron, that has turned out great, and very good use off items as well,

i would be so happy how it turned out,:rolleyes:

D

dubster72

That wheel is excellent Ron! You really ought to think about marketing some of your stuff! That looks shop-bought :smiling3:

And where do you get large pizza's for a quid??

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work as usual Ron, but I do sometimes wish you wouldn't make it look so simple. I'm always disappointed when my stuff doesn't come out as well as I hoped. Mind you, I'm over the moon when it does look OK so I suppose it balances out.

Gern

First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

excellent work on the scratch build my Friend. Nice wheel can't wait to see the end result.

Cheers Richi

N

noble

\ said:
Thanks folks for the continuing support....It's nice to have you along.With trepidation, and not a clue how to proceed, I turned my attention to the waterwheel, which I suppose in a way, will be the centre piece.

I had a look at pictures of these things, some complicated, others less so. In the end I decided to create my own relatively simple design, which I reckoned would be easier to do than try and copy a real one. It's made from scrap plastic card, coffee stirrers and an RAF Cosford cafe plastic straw for the 'axle'!

After a bit of idea scribbling I came up with this :-

Here are the stages.......

First off I marked a circle from a piece of thin plastic card

View attachment 82379

I didn't want a simple second inner circle, so I came up with this idea and divided the wheel into 8 segments and cut these out. Then I cut a centre hub and marked around the centre with my straw axle to get the right diameter hole, then made some 'spokes' from coffee stirrers........

View attachment 82380

Here is one side finished...Now the other!

View attachment 82381

The second side done and joined to the first with suitable cross members...I was so chuffed with my wheel thus far, that I forgot to make holes for my drinking straw axle......Too late now!!

View attachment 82382

Next I made a scale pattern for the paddles, again from bits of thin plastic card...and cut out 24 of them!

View attachment 82383

This shows the finished bare wheel ready for painting...Because of my previous excitement, I had to make the axle in three bits - a middle and two outers......Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

View attachment 82384

Here is the finished water wheel, painted in a first coat and ready for weathering.

I'm well happy with my first ever go at one, and the design is mine, all mine I tell you!!! lol

View attachment 82385

That's it for the wheel. I'm pleased to have got this part of the diorama behind me, as at first I had no idea how to tackle it.

Mind you, I won't be doing another in a hurry!

Next I will make a start on the mill building.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Hi Ron that bit of scratch building is up there with the invention of the wheel. Top build mate, I do agree you should replicate some of this in resin.

scott

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking great. But I had to smile to myself, you've still managed to get water in there somehow !