"There's an old mill by the stream, Nelly Dean!"

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
...outstanding Ron, this build is amazing...

Lee :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian and Lee for you great posts....

Ian, thanks for your suggestion....a cracking idea to be sure, but I have something already planned for an 'add-on'......I aint tellin' neever, so don't ask! lol

Cheers chaps,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Jokin' apart Darth - sorry - Ron, this is turning out real good. Another masterclass in scratch building. I assume you'll be blending the buildings into the base 'cos you got a few gaps at the base of the walls at the moment.

Gern

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is truely inspiring work Ron I don't have the words mate it's just AWSOME ( oh look I found one ) :smiling3:

And it's great to see a bit of banter as well :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Jokin' apart Darth - sorry - Ron, this is turning out real good. Another masterclass in scratch building. I assume you'll be blending the buildings into the base 'cos you got a few gaps at the base of the walls at the moment.Gern
C'mon Dave, try harder! That's not the finished ground level, that's the polythene base. Na, na, nana, na!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
C'mon Dave, try harder! That's not the finished ground level, that's the polythene base. Na, na, nana, na!
Designed by Ron put up by the council :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
What d'you expect from a beginner?!

Gern

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron thats looking great, do like how you do things the doors and window, look great,

i think it has added so much more with the new part added on and that roof colors fine to me :rolleyes:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

The water mill looks great. You've done a great job on simulating the wood, stone and other natural textures.

It will be a really nice diorama when complete.

Cheers

P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks lady and gents for the excellent comments. Also, I'm well chuffed my fellow modellers are picking up tips as this diorama progresses...and yes, the build goes back a step now and then!!!

We are nearly up to date now...

I've fixed the bridge - more next installment - but first.....

The water.

I always use ordinary cheap household varnish.

Here are some pictures of the first coat, which is diluted with a bit of turps substitute and liberally painted on, then allowed to level out and run into various corners and cracks.

This looks a bit like tar, that's because the varnish has just been applied. It will tone down as it dries....

View attachment 83004

Here is the before and after. See how with just one coat the water is showing depth - shallow at the edges, deeper in the middle. I'm particularily pleased with the salmon steps and how the concrete lips are just showing through on the edge of the steps. I've also added a bit of greenery and a diddy fence (Photo next post)

View attachment 83005

View attachment 83006

After only one coat, the reflections and shadows are starting to showing through, particularily where the mill race has scoured a deep channel. Also see how the salmon steps have dulled down as the varnish dries. The subsequent coats will lessen the 'ripples' and produce a smoother surface to the stream.

View attachment 83007

That's all for the water until I can give it another coat. Next I'll show progress on the bridge and then we will be more or less up to present day for the build.

I hope you are enjoying this journey into the unknown....I am.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 106.jpg

The Old Mill 066.jpg

The Old Mill 111.jpg

The Old Mill 082.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Genius at work! Beautiful workmanship Ron, I have crept in and marvelled and studied and marvelled some more. I had to comment: JUST AWESOME, someone told me that you and I make great dio's...I think yours knock spots off mine any day of week. This has so much character, cannot wait until it is finished and on show.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the kind words Si, but remember, no-one tries to be, or think they are, better than the next on here (That's for other forums) I like to think we all muck in and help where we can, with no thought as to who is better at whatever.....

Your work stands tall and proud good buddy, make no mistake!

We all do our best and aim for perfection, but as the saying goes.....'Don't bother trying for perfection, there's no such thing!'

Just enjoy your modelling and have fun......

Thanks for the compliment nontheless!!

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron that is just great,real like the ripple effect, , :D

so your not going to use rein but build up layer of varnish, ?

i was wondering ,i do have some varnish in the shed ,do you think i could use the same method ? instead of rein ? :rolleyes:

S

Stevekir

It looks convincing. Very nice. Things like the wavy lintel made of old wood over the double window at the back, and the weathering, and the broken concrete. I agree with someone who said that a figure somewhere could be good. A horse and cart perhaps. Have you thought of motorising the wheel so it goes round slowly?

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron, now there's water in this dio, it's just topped it, truly amazing detail and as Si said 'AWESOME!'. The ripples look most convincing, excellent...

Lee :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone for your very complimentary posts. I'm well happy that you not only approve of progress, but are picking up tips...Good stuff.

To answer the questions and suggestions.....

Monica, folks who 'make' water have their own favourite....Some like resin, I don't. I like a medium I can mess with. Resin for me is too unforgiving and once poured, that's it.

I prefer to keep things simple and reasonably straight forward to get the result I want, and as I have little choice, as cheap as possible. It's really up to the individual which is best suited to their needs and the effect they desire......Try varnish by all means.

Steve, thanks for the suggestion, it was IanM who suggested the horse and cart.....I have that side of it covered. Regarding the wheel, having it turning doesn't really appeal to me, because a turning water wheel would obviously require water to look right....Adding that to the diorama is getting far too involved and way beyond my capabilities anyway......But thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

Ron