"There's an old mill by the stream, Nelly Dean!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the work I did on the bridge. This stage will more or less bring us up to date with progress....

If you recall, the initial bridge build had wall extensions running on to the road.....Why I cut them off I don't know, 'cos it looks well sawn off! Luckily I didn't bin the ends so....

View attachment 83044

I've replaced, and bent them....For the hell of it really!

View attachment 83045

View attachment 83046

I didn't like the sheer sides below the bridge, so I got my fingers to work and literally picked the polystyrene away until I was happy with the stream bank.....Don't be afraid to do this sort of thing, it's all part of the diorama fun!

View attachment 83047

View attachment 83048

First coat on the 'stones'. I'll probably do something with them later, we'll see....

View attachment 83049

Next up, more work on the bridge and then the road is added.

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 083.jpg

The Old Mill 088.jpg

The Old Mill 089.jpg

The Old Mill 094.jpg

The Old Mill 093.jpg

The Old Mill 097.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The bridge continues.......but before that, I decided to add a small wall to square off the area by the mill doors.....

View attachment 83055

View attachment 83056

View attachment 83057

Here is the first stage of the road. The sub-surface was PVA'd, then floor sweepings were sprinkled on...Job done!

View attachment 83058

I also added another section of bridge wall.

View attachment 83059

This shows all the extra walls fixed and the road surface ready for a bit more work. I think the brain storm of bending the walls adds a bit of variety.

View attachment 83060

Here is the bridge area thus far....with the addition of some green paint

View attachment 83061

That, good friends brings us up to date...well yesterday, before I butchered my finger!!

Now the main model is laid down, I need to think about starting to bring the model to life, so I've been sitting looking at the dio. and have come up with some ideas.

So next installment will hopefully involve getting started on some add-ons...

Thanks for looking,

Ron

The Old Mill 090.jpg

The Old Mill 091.jpg

The Old Mill 100.jpg

The Old Mill 103.jpg

The Old Mill 112.jpg

The Old Mill 108.jpg

The Old Mill 109.jpg

D

dubster72

Still so interesting Ron, although I'm surprised you haven't found a use for your lost blood! Perhaps a dye for a future build? ;)

I'm definitely going to try & replicate your effects on the walls etc - I think a dio is coming into my mind!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron ,looking great the little bits off altering have payed off, the bridge and road looks great :rolleyes:

you have do so well to blend in all the stone walls and make them uniformed, ;)

little changes make alot of diffidence to things ,

sorry to hear you cut your hand/finger, i could use the blood for my next one, oh lol, only jking hope its not to bad

looking forword to next update

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts everyone.......also the wound has closed up a bit, so I'm able to do a bit more!

I've started to add a bit of detail now and putting them in, as and when the idea comes along.

Here I've added a rustic fence to stop people being chopped up by the wheel.....

View attachment 83154

A rudimentary 'Wheel clamp thingy'

View attachment 83155

Some paving slabs. These are 1/72 scale 3ft x 2ft and I've painted them in different shades of beige to break the blandness up a bit. I've purposely cut them into individual pieces to make them more natural and uneven when laid.

View attachment 83156

Here they are laid, complete with a diddy bench!

View attachment 83157

I laid some outside the house and also did a bit of groundwork...same as the bridge surface.

View attachment 83158

The surface here is a slurry of cement laid on with a brush to simulate rough concrete...

View attachment 83159

Another coat of varnish....This one I've confined to the center of the stream. See how it's smoothed out the middle a bit, but left the water below the steps still rippled, also the mill race appears deeper now, which was what I wanted.....

View attachment 83160

The second coat...see the slight difference?

View attachment 83161

I hope you like these 'add-ons'

Cheers,

Ron

The Old Mill 085.jpg

The Old Mill 105.jpg

The Old Mill 119.jpg

The Old Mill 120.jpg

The Old Mill 122.jpg

The Old Mill 124.jpg

The Old Mill 082.jpg

The Old Mill 116.jpg

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
:eek: Wow Ron! This is unbelievable, just when I think 'Ron has done an exceptional job on this dio, there's nothing more to add, it's great! '...BANG there you go, add some here add some there...is there no end!? :P

Exceptional work, it really is outstanding Ron ;)

Lee :smiling3:

M

mobear

just by watching this build i think we can all learn from it,it really is awesome and the water spectacular

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lee and Ole, thank you both for your posts.....

Plenty more to come yet, I hope. Trees and general vegetation. Finish the water and add some sort of figures. Loads more weathering....That'll do for now!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron you never cease to amaze , all the little bits of detail,just add to the feeling of the place, its amazing your skills, ;)

looking real great, what are you going to surprise us with next :rolleyes:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work Ron, just amazing as it all comes together.

I may have missed it...more than likely...but what varnish have you used for the water effects, also does it dry or remain tacky?

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ron that is incredible work this is going to be a masterpiece:smiling3:

And don't get sticking an optimistic doo dab on my post you modest chap lol:D

N

noble

\ said:
Thanks for the great posts everyone.......also the wound has closed up a bit, so I'm able to do a bit more!I've started to add a bit of detail now and putting them in, as and when the idea comes along.

Here I've added a rustic fence to stop people being chopped up by the wheel.....

View attachment 83349

A rudimentary 'Wheel clamp thingy'

View attachment 83350

Some paving slabs. These are 1/72 scale 3ft x 2ft and I've painted them in different shades of beige to break the blandness up a bit. I've purposely cut them into individual pieces to make them more natural and uneven when laid.

View attachment 83351

Here they are laid, complete with a diddy bench!

View attachment 83352

I laid some outside the house and also did a bit of groundwork...same as the bridge surface.

View attachment 83353

The surface here is a slurry of cement laid on with a brush to simulate rough concrete...

View attachment 83354

Another coat of varnish....This one I've confined to the center of the stream. See how it's smoothed out the middle a bit, but left the water below the steps still rippled, also the mill race appears deeper now, which was what I wanted.....

View attachment 83355

The second coat...see the slight difference?

View attachment 83356

I hope you like these 'add-ons'

Cheers,

Ron
This is the dogs dangly bits Ron ole son masterful and ingenious.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
what varnish have you used for the water effects, also does it dry or remain tacky?Si:smiling3:
Si, it's ordinary cheapo varnish, I found an old tin in my garage! Dries overnight.

Also, thanks to my good friends on here for your posts. All very embarrassing....but great reading!

D

Deleted member 3568

Awesome and then some this forum is full of masters of their craft (oh yes you can tell they're masters as they make it all look so easy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is coming along very nicely.

Might have to try this one day.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yes, it's very inspirational stuff, and all so realistic looking. How do you distress the wood parts Ron?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone for your input...

Joe, I'm not sure what you mean.....Are you referring to the wheel, or the wood in general?

All the actual wood (the wheel, windows etc.) is untouched, just paint added. The doors and barn doors are plastic card, scratched with sandpaper for the grain and then painted with acrylics.

The 'wooden' lintols over the doorways and windows are just scribed with a modelling knife into the polystyrene to simulate the wood grain....

I hope this answers your question...

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: