Tim’s 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk VI

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Andrew. Nice info as well. I wonder if the red/brown is anything to do with the self sealing aspect?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Tim

Sorry to hear about your RA and hope is continues to calm down. Despite your problems it's coming on nicely!

As for the tanks, they're actually oil tanks....I thought they might be air tanks or something similar but was reading my Haynes Mosquito manual only yesterday when I cam across this under "Oil".....

"Two 15 3/4gal self-sealing oil tanks were provided, one in each engine nacelle above and between the undercarriage legs..." (Pg 120)

It then goes onto describe how the oil system works.

Like you everyone I have noticed that everyone has painted them a reddy brown colour but on the next page it shows them being green but it is one that's been/being restored and so comes with the usual caveat that goes with restorations.

ATB

Andrew
Andrew
The fuel tanks are made from an aluminium alloy and coated with a (red-brown) self-sealing material called Lynatex; both the internal fuel tanks and internal long-range tanks were of the same construction. However the engine oil tanks attached to the undercarriage were sometimes uncoated and painted green!
Steve

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cockpit and bomb bay details looking really good. I hope your change of meds helps and things improve soon.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew
The fuel tanks are made from an aluminium alloy and coated with a (red-brown) self-sealing material called Lynatex; both the internal fuel tanks and internal long-range tanks were of the same construction. However the engine oil tanks attached to the undercarriage were often uncoated and painted green!
Steve
Thanks Steve, so I can go green then to make it a bit different..... Just need to get out the paint I've put away because I thought in was done with it!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cockpit and bomb bay details looking really good. I hope your change of meds helps and things improve soon.
Cheers Jim. Glad you like them, and as to the meds, me too…..I know it’s a suck it and see disease, but this will be my fourth regime in about two and a half years. I’ve had several steroid shots as well……they seem to get less effective with familiarity though :worried:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, the temporary steroid meds have improved my motor skills a little, so the cockpit is done…..

C842FAF2-C1D9-47A3-8C5E-25565EF1417E.jpeg
Never bothered painting the gun bay because it will never been seen.

E9E7570B-44D1-4762-BC5F-13310BFA34E1.jpeg
06B728C3-09EA-4BBF-941D-7973DA260136.jpeg
ED6067A1-132C-49FA-A6CB-532D38FA50F0.jpeg
Putting on the Eduard bits took a couple of days, short bursts resting in between, but they are always worth it….the small tails on the belts were left off because I couldn’t handle them and wanted to move on….

And, here’s the other side…..
D6BB6350-40D2-47CA-9BE0-A8D7B5D433F2.jpeg

Not quite my sharpest work, and I know it’s not dead accurate, but it’ll do under a canopy……

Enjoy…….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I reckon that is one superb cockpit. It would be excellent in 1/32 or even 1/24 but at 1/48 - well done.
Glad the meds seem to be giving improvement.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I reckon that is one superb cockpit. It would be excellent in 1/32 or even 1/24 but at 1/48 - well done.
Glad the meds seem to be giving improvement.
Many thanks Jim. I’m glad they are helping as well, only short term, but hopefully I’ll be on the real deal biologics soon…….

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Many thanks Jim. I’m glad they are helping as well, only short term, but hopefully I’ll be on the real deal biologics soon…….
Just caught up with this Tim, it's certainly a fine looking build. Very sorry to hear about your RA and I hope the new meds make a big difference.
One of the reasons I want to retire soon myself whilst I still have the full use of my hands and eyes...
Can't afford it yet though :sad:
Best of luck buddy
N

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just caught up with this Tim, it's certainly a fine looking build. Very sorry to hear about your RA and I hope the new meds make a big difference.
One of the reasons I want to retire soon myself whilst I still have the full use of my hands and eyes...
Can't afford it yet though :sad:
Best of luck buddy
N
Cheers Neil, glad you like it.
As to retirement, I developed RA three months after I went. Thems the breaks….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The cock pit looks brilliant. Those harnessed just look amazing. All well worth the effort.
Hope that you are still on the way up. I feel your pain. literally. As stiff as a plank this morning. Had to go down the stairs 'in reverse' and lets say I will not be giving any guitar/piano concerts any time soon. (probably for the best).
You got this Tim-

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tim,

That really is the bees knees!! That's looking very good indeed, with some great detail and as Jim said, hard to believe it's 1/48.

Also obviously pleased to hear that there has been done improvement in the RA.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The cock pit looks brilliant. Those harnessed just look amazing. All well worth the effort.
Hope that you are still on the way up. I feel your pain. literally. As stiff as a plank this morning. Had to go down the stairs 'in reverse' and lets say I will not be giving any guitar/piano concerts any time soon. (probably for the best).
You got this Tim-
Hi Ian. Thanks for the compliments. Tried something a little different on the belts this time. I only glued them at the fixing points. Usually I glue them further down as well, but with the single fixing I found they hung better that way. I also used Formula 560 canopy glue rather than CA, because CA can sometimes strip the finish off the Eduard belts.

As to stiffness, I know exactly what you mean. Going down stairs backwards has been the modus operandi for about three weeks…..until today :smiling5: The worst point was when I literally couldn’t stand or walk unaided and getting out of bed was an engineering exercise because I could get no assistance from my arms and legs. It came on frighteningly quickly, but is now more under control. Hopefully it will stay there. Going out today for the first time in a month (apart from medical visits) :thumb2:.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,

That really is the bees knees!! That's looking very good indeed, with some great detail and as Jim said, hard to believe it's 1/48.

Also obviously pleased to hear that there has been done improvement in the RA.

ATB.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew. You are very kind. Most of the good stuff either came in the kit, or was stuck on from Eduard. The only bit I added was the cables along the cockpit side.
Yep, vast improvement in RA over last week. I just hope it stays that way!