Too Hot!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I feel your pain. I too am a farmer. I farm chickens. Thankfully the birds I have in are only chicks so the sheds are running at between 30+32 degrees. If they were big birds I would be struggling to keep them cool. Well, I better get going 190,000 chicks won't look after themselves.

We are seriously struggling to keep our pigs cool. They are ripping out their water barrels to make wallows but not understanding that it also takes away all the water pressure therefore everyone else has no water. Which in turn makes them irritable. I had the chance to be a chicken farm manager but i passed on it. I prefer pigs and our 1400 pigs keep me busy enough lol.

Got burnt silly today. Factor 50 didn't touch the UV today. Luckily i have loads of aftersun!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
We are seriously struggling to keep our pigs cool. They are ripping out their water barrels to make wallows but not understanding that it also takes away all the water pressure therefore everyone else has no water. Which in turn makes them irritable. I had the chance to be a chicken farm manager but i passed on it. I prefer pigs and our 1400 pigs keep me busy enough lol.

Got burnt silly today. Factor 50 didn't touch the UV today. Luckily i have loads of aftersun!
Feel for you Al, big responsibility with livestock.
Supposed to be cooler soon .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Quite ok then :tongue-out3: . My cars outside temp showed 42 at the Eindhoven area and the north of Belgium...
It hit 40 degrees here maybe an hour after I typed my previous message. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it that hot in this part of the world (the southwestern Netherlands).

first time in my life I'm experiencing temperatures this hot...it's just a tad too much for me :cold-sweat::dizzy:
I remember being on holiday in northern Germany in 1992, and it hit 40 degrees, and in the summer 1999 I was in Washington DC where it reached over 40 as well. Funniest bit about that were the signs on many streets that said “SNOW LANE KEEP CLEAR”.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The heavens have just opened, and thunder is rumbling - maybe a bit of relief?
Dave
I hope so, fed up with it now .
Yes we had a very short fall of rain, all over in minutes,about 2 hrs ago but thunder storms forecast to night ! :smiling2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's meant to be coming up the country towards the north of Scotland tonight. I hope so. Today was totally bonkers heat and humidity wise.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thunder and torrential rain and the temp down to 22. The relief!
Peter ,temperature down is good , not impressed with the torrential rain bit though. If it's starts here in the night I'll but put out to move the hanging baskets :flushed::disappointed:
Have you been standing outside in it! We used to do that as kids after a long hot spell .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John if your thermometer is right 85°F is a cool day in the summer where I live

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7237

Just had one of the best thunder and lighting storms I've ever seen and the man upstairs even watered the garden for me but the best thing is I can now breathe again on my own :smiling5: well almost.
So next week we'll probably get snow and icebergs in the Thames.
Have a good day people
Pete :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cooler in Norfolk now thank goodness but the heat dint stop me from workin on my tiger build as I just had to fit in filler on any gaps an if any thing heat was a good thing as it sent the filler off quicker
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Last night after dark, there was a lot of lightning in the distance here, mainly to the west (out to sea), but no rain. Because it got cloudy the temperature was very slow to drop — this morning it was 27.5° already at 10:00. It seems temperatures will drop over the course of the day as the cold front and rain that are over the UK now make their way over here. I for one can’t wait :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK - just been watching the Tour de France - today's stage stopped because of a hailstorm, that covered the final climb! Live pictures of bulldozers trying to clear the road!
Temperature here 10c lower than yesterday, but very humid - thunderstorms predicted later. Farmer is frantically ploughing the field behind my place............ normally he grows maize, have to wait & see what the crop is this year
Dave