Trumpeter USS North Carolina BB-55 - 1/700

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice work Gary. A late starter but nice to see your very nice work.

Laurie

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA lookin good with the camo on Gary it will look very realistic when its in the seascape as these ships look ok on the stands but for me its meant to be in the sea
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Gary.
Ee zee line is great for the rigging, but please don't paint it black!

I agree with Chris. She has to be plonked on some water... :thumb2:

Ron

First Name
Gary
Ah, the line I ordered and have is 0.1 black nylon. Should it be silver ?

I'm actually going to lightly sand down the hull, carefully mask the deck and superstructure and spray the hull rather than brush. The Mr Color Navy is a lovely color and looks OK brushed but just about OK. I will thin it down and respray and mask and spray the grey. Just the hull mind you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

Ah, the line I ordered and have is 0.1 black nylon. Should it be silver ?

I'm actually going to lightly sand down the hull, carefully mask the deck and superstructure and spray the hull rather than brush. The Mr Color Navy is a lovely color and looks OK but just about OK. I will thin it down and respray and mask and spray the grey. Just the hull mind you.

Gary I just run a paint brush down the line with what ever colour. Looks good as it becomes a bit varigated
& looks authentic rather than one solid colour.

Laurie

First Name
Gary
I'll do that.

The line is great so I'll paint it in dark grey when its up. Its quite hard to find a clear picture of the ship with radio rigging. I have a couple of pictures that are OK so I'll a few lines without overdoing it

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
Much happier now I've sanded and repainted, with careful masking, the camo on the hull. Much neater and sharp lines. Funny how being a bit fussy can lead to hours of fun. A question for the other ship builders. Should I spray with a clear matt varnish to seal the paint ? I imagine around the superstructure it might be difficult but I like the idea of sealing the paint. What do others do ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gary, I know I'm leaving myself open to all sorts of abuse, :upside: but if the paint isn't shiny, I don't bother with matt varnish. Just a bit of weathering on the vessel does me.

Mind you, I just brush paint, so perhaps best wait for a 'Sprayer' to come along.... ;)

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

When I do ships I gloss everything after painting,I then do weathering with oils,then use matt varnish to seal.
From what I can see you do not need to seal the paint.

First Name
Gary
Early Stages on 9mm MDF which I will finish with 12mm moulding around edges when finished. Ready for colour

I've added some more minor ripples on the upper left as you look at the photo. As you can see it’s a bit “flat” at the moment

IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The model looks very good Gary :thumb2: ,
nice start on the seascape too.
Steven

First Name
Gary
Pine edging to frame the dio to be done but the actual painting etc is done. First is the original attempt which I liked but thought was a bit OTT on wakes. I love the detuned version

1. Experimented as its my first dio

NCoriginal.jpg

2. Then I removed the height of the wakes behind the bow one and overpainted. Much happier

NCAerial.jpg

NCPortSide.jpg

NCStarF.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
Late to the party - sorry. You've made a great job of this. Looks very neat and carefully built and the base is coming on a treat. I have built a few of these 1/700 ships and they are great fun but very fiddly. If you paint the rigging don't panic if it goes a bit slack. It will tighten up again when dry. I airbrushed a matt varnish on one of my models which was already rigged and the rigging sagged but went taut afterwards.
Jim